Aaron Rodgers intends to play for the Jets

RaidersAreOne

13 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Interesting.  I thought paying a portion of the cash owed would effect the cap hit.

The contract is a little weird and I don't fully understand how it all works, but he has a $59m option bonus that can be exercised any time before week 1.  For the trading team, if they exercise the option, it's just cash owed that does not count towards the cap, and their cap hit would be $15,833,570.  If they don't exercise it, then it's a $60m cap hit.  If GB were to exercise the option prior to a trade then I believe they would owe the $59m and the acquiring team would only be on the hook for the $15,833,570 cap hit, but obviously GB isn't going to pay Rodgers $59m to play for someone else while also taking on a $40m cap hit, which is what it will be for them once he's traded ($31m prior to the trade).

Maybe @squire12 can confirm that I have this right lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Green Bay has a little leverage in that Rodgers has a huge option bonus due but it doesn't have to be paid until week 1. So they can sit on his rights until the start of the season. If the Jets want him in their offseason program and training camp, they have to make a deal. I'd guess the deal is done after the draft with a conditional pick or two for 2024. Or maybe it's done sooner with something along those lines. 

Disagree. This is exactly why they do have leverage IMO. The Jets obviously want Rodgers. Rodgers obviously wants to be a Jet.

🖕Both of you if you think you are collecting the money you did plus getting traded for nothing. Give us this or close to it in compensation , or sit till June in Limbo as an Organization ,QB under contract or retire.  Balls in your court. 

No leverage. Yeah 👌

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 2

Here's the part I don't understand. 

The Packers gave the Jets permission to speak with Aaron Rodgers. Trade compensation had to of been discussed and approved upon before that permission was given,  No?

So which organization is now changing said agreement? Curious if that's the Jets or Packers?

This whole situation is so goofy.  Rodgers basically just trading himself.  What do you do if you're the Packers though?  Like obviously it's in Rodgers interests to have the Jets pay very few important assets to acquire him, keeping his new team stronger.  But if you're the Packers...you still want to get some value out of this whole ordeal.  But not really negotiating with a lot of leverage in your position.

22 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Here's the part I don't understand. 

The Packers gave the Jets permission to speak with Aaron Rodgers. Trade compensation had to of been discussed and approved upon before that permission was given,  No?

So which organization is now changing said agreement? Curious if that's the Jets or Packers?

Master strategy by GB. Tell the Jets what comp you're looking for and say "sure, go ahead and talk to Aaron".

Knowing this situation would play out where the entire Jets fanbase is now pressuring ownership to get him. 

Andrew Brandt nailed it, Rodgers just gave our FO even more leverage. I don't think anything changed. I suspect the Jets felt our initial price was a starting point. And now they're trying to come down from it, but GB is full-on "Nope. Give us what we asked for in the first place."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Master strategy by GB. Tell the Jets what comp you're looking for and say "sure, go ahead and talk to Aaron".

Knowing this situation would play out where the entire Jets fanbase is now pressuring ownership to get him. 

Andrew Brandt nailed it, Rodgers just gave our FO even more leverage. I don't think anything changed. I suspect the Jets felt our initial price was a starting point. And now they're trying to come down from it, but GB is full-on "Nope. Give us what we asked for in the first place."

Doubt this is the play here. You don't burn a bridge with a FO. You never know when you'll need to make a deal with that team again. Plus Jordan Love and Rodgers share an agent, you aren't going to want to piss off that group either.

There's 2 theories, #1 they legit didn't have trade compensation worked out because Rodgers was iffy on playing and they kicked that can down the road to now.

#2 They did discuss compensation, are close to or have a deal and this is more just working out with Aaron and the two sides how the finances will spread around. Is Aaron ripping up the deal altogether to make for a smoother transition? Is GB figuring out how much they can afford to eat? Stuff like that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Doubt this is the play here. You don't burn a bridge with a FO. You never know when you'll need to make a deal with that team again. Plus Jordan Love and Rodgers share an agent, you aren't going to want to piss off that group either.

There's 2 theories, #1 they legit didn't have trade compensation worked out because Rodgers was iffy on playing and they kicked that can down the road to now.

#2 They did discuss compensation, are close to or have a deal and this is more just working out with Aaron and the two sides how the finances will spread around. Is Aaron ripping up the deal altogether to make for a smoother transition? Is GB figuring out how much they can afford to eat? Stuff like that.

Nothing I mentioned would result in anything near bridge burning.

Stating your desired compensation up front and then sticking to it is not cause for hard feelings.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Nothing I mentioned would result in anything near bridge burning.

Stating your desired compensation up front and then sticking to it is not cause for hard feelings.

I misunderstood your point, I thought you were alluding to Gute increasing the compensation once the pressure turned up. My bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

The contract is a little weird and I don't fully understand how it all works, but he has a $59m option bonus that can be exercised any time before week 1.  For the trading team, if they exercise the option, it's just cash owed that does not count towards the cap, and their cap hit would be $15,833,570.  If they don't exercise it, then it's a $60m cap hit.  If GB were to exercise the option prior to a trade then I believe they would owe the $59m and the acquiring team would only be on the hook for the $15,833,570 cap hit, but obviously GB isn't going to pay Rodgers $59m to play for someone else while also taking on a $40m cap hit, which is what it will be for them once he's traded ($31m prior to the trade).

Maybe @squire12 can confirm that I have this right lol.

That's not quite correct. The option bonus amount isn't on anyone's cap currently because it hasn't been exercised and paid. Once it's been paid, it will hit the cap of the team paying it. I'd imagine part of the holdup is the Jets want to revise his contract so the Packers pay part of the bonus before trading him, with the Jets paying the rest. That's allowable and the Packers could ask for better draft picks from the Jets if they are picking up some of the cap hit. 

• Like 1