Commanders not picking up Young's 5th year option.

MikeT14

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’m not offended at all. I just don’t know how a player is supposed to produce stats when they tear an ACL & patella tendon. 

Giving up on players with potential seems to be the Washington way over the last 25 years, so I won’t be shocked if they kick him to the curb next year either.

Except that ACL and tendon were just fine for 9 games in 2021 and he was not producing on the field. I can give him a pass for 2022 since he was injured. But those 9 poorly played games go on his hotel bill too.

@Slappy Mcis right here. His production in Year 1 and the 9 games in Year 2 (*) do not equal a 5th year option.

(*) and you also have to weigh the long return from injury. Sure you can say it's not his fault, but that still gets weighed by front offices when decided to exercise the 5th year option.

• Like 3

On 4/28/2023 at 1:21 AM, Thaiphoon said:

Except that ACL and tendon were just fine for 9 games in 2021 and he was not producing on the field. I can give him a pass for 2022 since he was injured. But those 9 poorly played games go on his hotel bill too.

@Slappy Mcis right here. His production in Year 1 and the 9 games in Year 2 (*) do not equal a 5th year option.

(*) and you also have to weigh the long return from injury. Sure you can say it's not his fault, but that still gets weighed by front offices when decided to exercise the 5th year option.

Film shows he did have an impact 

On 4/29/2023 at 5:27 PM, turtle28 said:

Film shows he did have an impact 

I seriously doubt that. I watched every game and he was either out of position or just using one rush move and completely dominated by the LT. And the stats that you were hanging your hat on earlier simply don't show it either. He was a non-factor in pass defense. And barely made plays in run defense. I seriously don't get the need to defend Chase here. He had an awful 2nd season leading up to his injury. The sooner that truth is admitted, the sooner the right choices can be made as to whether to pick up the 5th year. And I think the team got it right here and saw the same thing I did (a good rookie season stats-wise, an awful 2nd season and an injury that kept him out until the last 3 games of 2022). And thus not picking up the 5th year. 

Again, I can get another guy in here to produce what he has over 1.5 seasons and it would cost me 1/2 as much as what the 5th year contract would be.

He's not the generational talent we were led to believe he was. He's a good DE that has a chance to get better. The sooner fans face that fact, the better. So this is his year to ball out. I hope he does. But other than it puts Chase and Montez as FA in the same offseason, I 100% agree with the decision.

• Like 3

On 4/29/2023 at 4:45 PM, Thaiphoon said:

I seriously doubt that. I watched every game and he was either out of position or just using one rush move and completely dominated by the LT. And the stats that you were hanging your hat on earlier simply don't show it either. He was a non-factor in pass defense. And barely made plays in run defense. I seriously don't get the need to defend Chase here. He had an awful 2nd season leading up to his injury. The sooner that truth is admitted, the sooner the right choices can be made as to whether to pick up the 5th year. And I think the team got it right here and saw the same thing I did (a good rookie season stats-wise, an awful 2nd season and an injury that kept him out until the last 3 games of 2022). And thus not picking up the 5th year. 

Again, I can get another guy in here to produce what he has over 1.5 seasons and it would cost me 1/2 as much as what the 5th year contract would be.

He's not the generational talent we were led to believe he was. He's a good DE that has a chance to get better. The sooner fans face that fact, the better. So this is his year to ball out. I hope he does. But other than it puts Chase and Montez as FA in the same offseason, I 100% agree with the decision.

No offense, but you must not be watching very closely, because Chase lined up against the right tackle on almost 80% of snaps. He also never got dominated by just a tackle, if you really watch the film, he's getting chipped by the TE or RB on top of the tackle. You'd also see how many sacks the other 3 lineman got because he forced the QB to flush or move up into the pocket into their arms. You can counter that by saying he would get too far upfield and gave and escape for the QB and I would agree with you, but it happens. Also note the 2 sacks that were taken away from him due to BS roughing the passer calls if you want to talk "sacks". 

Has he shown that he's the "generational" pass rusher he was advertised as yet? No, he has not. He also just turned 24 and has a lot of good years of football left. It's malpractice to go into the season with your top 5 edge rushers all in contract years, especially with 2 of them being first round picks. They could've prevented that by picking up his 5th year so they could figure out how to move forward. And you can say well that's what the franchise tag is for and I'll say that increases by 7 million next year. They messed up with Daron Payne and he went crazy last year because he was motivated by money, now he won't be nearly as motivated and I would bet a lot of money his production will go down. Chase is going to have a good year and we'll have to pay him a lot more than we would've had to. 

28 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

No offense, but you must not be watching very closely, because Chase lined up against the right tackle on almost 80% of snaps. He also never got dominated by just a tackle, if you really watch the film, he's getting chipped by the TE or RB on top of the tackle. You'd also see how many sacks the other 3 lineman got because he forced the QB to flush or move up into the pocket into their arms. You can counter that by saying he would get too far upfield and gave and escape for the QB and I would agree with you, but it happens. Also note the 2 sacks that were taken away from him due to BS roughing the passer calls if you want to talk "sacks". 

Mea Culpa on LT vs RT. But I am remembering from 2 years ago which guy he lined up against. I still stand with my assessment that he was basically a  small factor via pass rush. Our DL play improved IMHO after he went down. We had fewer of the DE riding himself out of the play and allowing QBs to escape or complete passes for TDs. Which kept opposing defenses off the field and allowed our offense to work. The result was a 5-4 record over the last 9 games vs. the 2-6 record the previous 8.

Has he shown that he's the "generational" pass rusher he was advertised as yet? No, he has not. He also just turned 24 and has a lot of good years of football left. 

Are the 49ers making excuses for Nick Bosa? No. Because he has shown he's worth it. Right now? Chase hasn't shown he's worth the guaranteed 5th year option. Again, even with those 2 sacks taken away in 2021, he only had 2 more than Shaka Toney (who only played 1 more game). Now you might say "well see? He was better." But only 2 sacks better? Shaka was on a minimum deal IIRC and produced as much as Chase did via sacks. If you are going to then point out how many tackles he had in the run game to show me he's worth the 5th year option, I'm gonna stop you right there. I don't draft a guy #2 at DE because he's a "good run stopper".

It's malpractice to go into the season with your top 5 edge rushers all in contract years, especially with 2 of them being first round picks. They could've prevented that by picking up his 5th year so they could figure out how to move forward.

Like I said before, this is the only thing that gives me pause. Because IF he shows up this year and balls out then it makes next offseason difficult for us, I agree. But you are talking about making a $17M guaranteed decision on a player who has played only 3 games since 2021, and in that 2021 season he was largely forgettable. A player who hasn't been anywhere near "Dominant" since 2020. So yes, while it might be a gamble to not pick up the option to you...to me, it was a gamble if they did pick it up.

And you can say well that's what the franchise tag is for and I'll say that increases by 7 million next year.

That's a $7M risk you take vs. the $17M risk you take by exercising the option. Both are risks to me. 

They messed up with Daron Payne and he went crazy last year because he was motivated by money, now he won't be nearly as motivated and I would bet a lot of money his production will go down.

That's always the rub with any player. And the risk you take when extending them. So by that logic (and using your same crystal ball), even if we give Chase the 5th year option he could, when we extend him, not be motivated and his production will go down. 

Chase is going to have a good year and we'll have to pay him a lot more than we would've had to.

I hope he does have a good year. I do. If we end up having to pay him? Great. But the smarter decision here was to not exercise the option. If he plays well and Montez doesn't? Great. If Montez plays well and he doesn't? Great. 

If both play well? Great You try to find a way to sign them, but if you can't you let one walk and get the 2025 3rd rounder (or if you're smarter and they are playing lights out during the 2023 season and another team's DE goes down, you trade one of them for a 2024 2nd rounder and other picks)

We always knew we weren't keeping all 4 players. This is about rewarding production and making sure that you aren't being stupid with the cap by committing cap to players who haven't/aren't currently producing. The literal only argument to exercising the option for me was about it moving both DE's into FA in same offseason. But I can't get on board with a $17M hit for a player whose best (and only good) season was 3 years ago and who came back late from injury last year, even if both players playing great this year means more difficulties next offseason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Mea Culpa on LT vs RT. But I am remembering from 2 years ago which guy he lined up against. I still stand with my assessment that he was basically a  small factor via pass rush. Our DL play improved IMHO after he went down. We had fewer of the DE riding himself out of the play and allowing QBs to escape or complete passes for TDs. Which kept opposing defenses off the field and allowed our offense to work. The result was a 5-4 record over the last 9 games vs. the 2-6 record the previous 8.

Are the 49ers making excuses for Nick Bosa? No. Because he has shown he's worth it. Right now? Chase hasn't shown he's worth the guaranteed 5th year option. Again, even with those 2 sacks taken away in 2021, he only had 2 more than Shaka Toney (who only played 1 more game). Now you might say "well see? He was better." But only 2 sacks better? Shaka was on a minimum deal IIRC and produced as much as Chase did via sacks. If you are going to then point out how many tackles he had in the run game to show me he's worth the 5th year option, I'm gonna stop you right there. I don't draft a guy #2 at DE because he's a "good run stopper".

Like I said before, this is the only thing that gives me pause. Because IF he shows up this year and balls out then it makes next offseason difficult for us, I agree. But you are talking about making a $17M guaranteed decision on a player who has played only 3 games since 2021, and in that 2021 season he was largely forgettable. A player who hasn't been anywhere near "Dominant" since 2020. So yes, while it might be a gamble to not pick up the option to you...to me, it was a gamble if they did pick it up.

That's a $7M risk you take vs. the $17M risk you take by exercising the option. Both are risks to me. 

That's always the rub with any player. And the risk you take when extending them. So by that logic (and using your same crystal ball), even if we give Chase the 5th year option he could, when we extend him, not be motivated and his production will go down. 

I hope he does have a good year. I do. If we end up having to pay him? Great. But the smarter decision here was to not exercise the option. If he plays well and Montez doesn't? Great. If Montez plays well and he doesn't? Great. 

If both play well? Great You try to find a way to sign them, but if you can't you let one walk and get the 2025 3rd rounder (or if you're smarter and they are playing lights out during the 2023 season and another team's DE goes down, you trade one of them for a 2024 2nd rounder and other picks)

We always knew we weren't keeping all 4 players. This is about rewarding production and making sure that you aren't being stupid with the cap by committing cap to players who haven't/aren't currently producing. The literal only argument to exercising the option for me was about it moving both DE's into FA in same offseason. But I can't get on board with a $17M hit for a player whose best (and only good) season was 3 years ago and who came back late from injury last year, even if both players playing great this year means more difficulties next offseason.

Well Done Reaction GIF by 2021 MTV Video Music Awards

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Our DL play improved IMHO after he went down. We had fewer of the DE riding himself out of the play and allowing QBs to escape or complete passes for TDs. Which kept opposing defenses off the field and allowed our offense to work. The result was a 5-4 record over the last 9 games vs. the 2-6 record the previous 8.

I shouldn't have even said anything because it gets no where. Everyone has their opinion on this subject and neither side is going to budge, but since I'm bored at work... They beat the Panthers, Seahawks, Raiders, Giants without Chase. Take a look at the teams they lost to and the QB's they played with him compared to later in the season. I'll even throw in the Bucs when they beat them even though technically Chase did play in that game. Saying the DL improved play is an interesting thought. Look at the competition, it's laughable. Against good teams and QB's, QB's knew they needed to get rid of the ball faster and they could because our DB's give 8-10 yards of depth, quick slants beat that every single time. Try getting a sack in 1.5 seconds while getting double teamed. Cam Newton, a not healthy Russ Wilson, Derek Carr, and Jake Fromm don't quite spin it as well as Herbert, Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, and Aaron Rodgers. The pass rush looked pretty good in the 4 game stretch against Cowboys and Eagles that year as well 😂.

Where did I ever compare Chase Young to Nick Bosa? I don't think Chase is in the same world as he is anymore. Nick Bosa is also a top 3 pass rusher in the NFL. You telling me you should have to be as good as Nick Bosa to pick up a 5th year option? Sounds like we probably shouldn't be picking up anyone's 5th year option ever again. I'm so sick of people bringing up "look at his sack numbers". Watch the film. I'm tired of arguing the sacks topic because he was way better than his sacks stats show if you haven't actually went back and watched him. Trust me, I was getting real upset with his lack of sack production as well until I actually watched what was really happening. Also refer back to my competition argument when trying to compare Shaka Toney to Chase Young. 

And you also risk losing the other first rounder on top of it. 2 risks vs 1.  The one thing about Howell being "the guy" you could afford to use Chase's 5th year AND tag Montez if you couldn't get a long term deal done. 

Absolutely, but from an outside perspective, Daron has always seemed like the 1 dlineman that cares about his money the most. His check signing sack celebration, him showing up to locker room clean out in an all green jumpsuit, to me, Daron and Montez are similar and Chase and Jon Allen are similar. 2 are leaders and 2 are followers, and I prefer leaders on my team. I truly hope that Daron wants to earn his deal, but something in the back of my mind just tells me it's going to be the other way around. And I think Chase has gotten extremely humbled after the last 2 years and is going to get after it, but if I'm wrong then I guess they did the right thing. But I'm past the point of believing anything Ron Rivera does is the right thing (other than signing Terry and Jon). 

1 hour ago, Scott Land said:

I shouldn't have even said anything because it gets no where. Everyone has their opinion on this subject and neither side is going to budge, but since I'm bored at work... They beat the Panthers, Seahawks, Raiders, Giants without Chase. Take a look at the teams they lost to and the QB's they played with him compared to later in the season. I'll even throw in the Bucs when they beat them even though technically Chase did play in that game. Saying the DL improved play is an interesting thought. Look at the competition, it's laughable. Against good teams and QB's, QB's knew they needed to get rid of the ball faster and they could because our DB's give 8-10 yards of depth, quick slants beat that every single time. Try getting a sack in 1.5 seconds while getting double teamed. Cam Newton, a not healthy Russ Wilson, Derek Carr, and Jake Fromm don't quite spin it as well as Herbert, Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, and Aaron Rodgers. The pass rush looked pretty good in the 4 game stretch against Cowboys and Eagles that year as well 😂.

Where did I ever compare Chase Young to Nick Bosa? I don't think Chase is in the same world as he is anymore. Nick Bosa is also a top 3 pass rusher in the NFL. You telling me you should have to be as good as Nick Bosa to pick up a 5th year option? Sounds like we probably shouldn't be picking up anyone's 5th year option ever again. I'm so sick of people bringing up "look at his sack numbers". Watch the film. I'm tired of arguing the sacks topic because he was way better than his sacks stats show if you haven't actually went back and watched him. Trust me, I was getting real upset with his lack of sack production as well until I actually watched what was really happening. Also refer back to my competition argument when trying to compare Shaka Toney to Chase Young. 

And you also risk losing the other first rounder on top of it. 2 risks vs 1.  The one thing about Howell being "the guy" you could afford to use Chase's 5th year AND tag Montez if you couldn't get a long term deal done. 

Absolutely, but from an outside perspective, Daron has always seemed like the 1 dlineman that cares about his money the most. His check signing sack celebration, him showing up to locker room clean out in an all green jumpsuit, to me, Daron and Montez are similar and Chase and Jon Allen are similar. 2 are leaders and 2 are followers, and I prefer leaders on my team. I truly hope that Daron wants to earn his deal, but something in the back of my mind just tells me it's going to be the other way around. And I think Chase has gotten extremely humbled after the last 2 years and is going to get after it, but if I'm wrong then I guess they did the right thing. But I'm past the point of believing anything Ron Rivera does is the right thing (other than signing Terry and Jon). 

Leaders don’t skip minicamp to train on their own. 

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Leaders don’t skip minicamp to train on their own. 

Tom Brady a leader? Aaron Rodgers? Aaron Donald? Also he reported 2 weeks ago, so let's refer back to my statement earlier when I said I think the last 2 years have humbled him. 

23 hours ago, Scott Land said:

Tom Brady a leader? Aaron Rodgers? Aaron Donald? Also he reported 2 weeks ago, so let's refer back to my statement earlier when I said I think the last 2 years have humbled him. 

This debate will go on forever.  Trent Williams was another example who played here. 

Rodgers has been a mess off the field so I think that is a bad example.  Brady was absent this offseason and his team faltered.  I am not sure if Brady historically doesn't show up though.

I agree with @MKnight82 though.  If you want to lead you can't do it from your private gym.  Sure maybe in year 7 in the league you can have earned a little leeway, but not on a rookie contract.  Things are very different these days with how much training camp and such has been widdled down by the CBA.  They only have so much team activities. 

Although I don't need Young to be a leader.  It isn't a requirement for elite players by any means.  We already have Allen and Terry.  

Young strikes me wrong. I don't like the way he carries himself, almost like a victim. And then - I really did t like that he left his team out to dry last December. He was medically cleared to play and DIDNT.... not because he couldn't, but bc he didn't want to contribute as a situational rusher or part time help.

On 5/6/2023 at 10:14 AM, offbyone said:

This debate will go on forever.  Trent Williams was another example who played here. 

Rodgers has been a mess off the field so I think that is a bad example.  Brady was absent this offseason and his team faltered.  I am not sure if Brady historically doesn't show up though.

I agree with @MKnight82 though.  If you want to lead you can't do it from your private gym.  Sure maybe in year 7 in the league you can have earned a little leeway, but not on a rookie contract.  Things are very different these days with how much training camp and such has been widdled down by the CBA.  They only have so much team activities. 

Although I don't need Young to be a leader.  It isn't a requirement for elite players by any means.  We already have Allen and Terry.  

Well Terry skipped last year, does that make him a bad leader because he skipped due contractual reasons? He was technically under a rookie contract still. 

27 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

Well Terry skipped last year, does that make him a bad leader because he skipped due contractual reasons? He was technically under a rookie contract still. 

This is hilarious. The amount of effort people put in to defend Chase Young is comical.

There is one thing that Terry McLaurin has done that Chase Young has not, produced. 

This year will be a huge indicator for Chase Young's career. If he does not produce at a high level this year, he definitely won't be resigned here and most likely will be above average at best if he ever turns it around. On the flip side, if he does play well, he might just squash all the bust talk and redeem himself amongst his peers and fans. 

I hope he performs well. We could have a very, very good defense with a solid push rush.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

This is hilarious. The amount of effort people put in to defend Chase Young is comical.

There is one thing that Terry McLaurin has done that Chase Young has not, produced. 

This year will be a huge indicator for Chase Young's career. If he does not produce at a high level this year, he definitely won't be resigned here and most likely will be above average at best if he ever turns it around. On the flip side, if he does play well, he might just squash all the bust talk and redeem himself amongst his peers and fans. 

I hope he performs well. We could have a very, very good defense with a solid push rush.

I wasn't even defending Chase by saying Terry skipped last year. I'm simply using your sides' arguments against against you because I don't think they're good arguments. I didn't agree with Chase skipping all the voluntary stuff, I thought he needed to be there, but if people are going to say that he's not a leader because he skipped voluntary OTA's, when tons of other players skip as well, get real. 

On 5/5/2023 at 10:49 AM, Scott Land said:

I shouldn't have even said anything because it gets no where. Everyone has their opinion on this subject and neither side is going to budge, but since I'm bored at work... They beat the Panthers, Seahawks, Raiders, Giants without Chase. Take a look at the teams they lost to and the QB's they played with him compared to later in the season. I'll even throw in the Bucs when they beat them even though technically Chase did play in that game. Saying the DL improved play is an interesting thought. Look at the competition, it's laughable. Against good teams and QB's, QB's knew they needed to get rid of the ball faster and they could because our DB's give 8-10 yards of depth, quick slants beat that every single time. Try getting a sack in 1.5 seconds while getting double teamed. 

Even against bad teams and bad QBs they knew to do that. It's why the Saints and Broncos beat us as well. As for double teamed, again...are the 49ers making similar excuses about Bosa's play against QBs that get the ball out quick? I don't hear the litany of excuses of "he was chipped, double teamed, etc..." with them. 

Where did I ever compare Chase Young to Nick Bosa? I don't think Chase is in the same world as he is anymore. Nick Bosa is also a top 3 pass rusher in the NFL. You telling me you should have to be as good as Nick Bosa to pick up a 5th year option? Sounds like we probably shouldn't be picking up anyone's 5th year option ever again.

You said "Has he shown that he's the "generational" pass rusher he was advertised as yet? No, he has not. He also just turned 24 and has a lot of good years of football left."

To me that is making excuses for where he's at professionally and why we should've plunked down $17M for his 5th year option. The 49ers don't have to say things like that because Bosa has actually shown up on the field.

We do agree, though, that he is nowhere near Bosa in terms of being a generational talent that he was billed to be.

To your other point, no he doesn't need to mirror Bosa's production. But I want more than just 7.5 sacks in his best season. A season that was 3 years ago. Because otherwise I'm risking tying up $17M for a player whose production really hasn't merited it. 

I'm so sick of people bringing up "look at his sack numbers". Watch the film. I'm tired of arguing the sacks topic because he was way better than his sacks stats show if you haven't actually went back and watched him. Trust me, I was getting real upset with his lack of sack production as well until I actually watched what was really happening. Also refer back to my competition argument when trying to compare Shaka Toney to Chase Young. 

We just disagree here. He was often either out of position or he was not doing his job. Was he doing his job on many plays? Sure. But in 9 games, Chase managed to not show up but only a handful of times. That's not what I want out of a $17M 5th year option. For that money, I want a guy who I'm constantly talking about (and not in the "well he could've gotten there but he was chipped" type of discussion). You might again say that "he enabled x to do y" and that may be the case on some plays. But again, I don't need to go to the "he doesn't show up in the statline but he makes others better" route when I'm talking about great DL on other teams (back to my Bosa example, but you can include Parsons, Donald, et al in this). Great players show up. He didn't. We just disagree.

If both play great, one will be tagged. One won't. So the risk is only to losing one player, not both. But yes, you could have used the option and tagged Montez. But that's assuming that Chase has returned to form. That's a $17M risk after only seeing him in 3 games since his forgettable 2021 season. 

I don't necessarily disagree with this (especially about Daron) except to say that Chase torpedoed his 2nd year before it started by skipping the voluntary workouts. And while I might've wanted Terry (since you brought him up elsewhere) to report to OTAs last offseason, I also understand the difference between the two players. One had consistently produced over multiple years, was seeking a new contract, and that was the reason why he was absent (Terry) and one had one good rookie season and was off doing his own thing and his absence was a result of that (Chase). 

He definitely rubbed me the wrong way with his talk about (paraphrasing here) "if anybody's playing around, they gonna hear from me" speech in a season where he rarely showed up.

Look, I hope he has been humbled and got his head on right. I seriously do. I hope you're right. But picking up that $17M option was the greater risk to me, even if it does mean we lose either Chase or Montez.