🔥 Pick #7 is in: Tyree Wilson, DL, Texas Tech

RaidersAreOne

6 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

IK but he was drafted with upside in mind and was injured when we got him. Can't rush rookie development.

Then draft someone who's more NFL ready - would be my response if I was Adams. Drafting raw developmental players with a top pick is very against "let's go win right now", which is what Adams (and others) wanted and came here for. 

It's very Jeckyll and Hyde, what our front office has been doing with our roster.  I get his frustration. Pick a direction. 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Then draft someone who's more NFL ready - would be my response if I was Adams. Drafting raw developmental players with a top pick is very against "let's go win right now", which is what Adams (and others) wanted and came here for. 

It's very Jeckyll and Hyde, what our front office has been doing with our roster.  I get his frustration. Pick a direction. 

This. Same for maxx. 

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

IK but he was drafted with upside in mind and was injured when we got him. Can't rush rookie development.

Legit question because I honestly don't remember:

Who's the last pass rusher who needed the level improvement we can see we need from Wilson to actually pan out?

Wilson's our turd for the next few years, so I hope he pans out, but I can't think of a comparison there.

14 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Who's the last pass rusher who needed the level improvement we can see we need from Wilson to actually pan out?

Wilson's our turd for the next few years, so I hope he pans out, but I can't think of a comparison there.

You're evaluating a rookie coming off injury who missed training camp. Most players are gonna look rough in that situation. Truly. If he looks anything like this as a 2nd year player, he's a bust no question about it. But it's ridiculous to judge him this early.

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Rashan Gary comes to mind, didn't break out until year 3. Travon Walker was the #1 overall pick a year ago and has yet to take off. 

There are quite a few high ceiling, low floor guys that took time to develop. Mack had 4.5 sacks as a rookie and people here were calling him a bust most his rookie season.

Outside Nick Bosa who was polished to an absurd degree, it's rare pass rushers have all the tools in their belt early on. 

Rashan Gary is actually a good comparison and a guy I loved coming out.

He comp'd to Ezekiel Ansah. Same comparison made Travon Walker and Tyree Wilson ironcially. All were HWS players, raw with limited tools but immense upside. 

Here is what was said of Gary who broke out year 3 for the Packers and is among the best young pass rushers in the NFL.

Weaknesses
  • Production as rusher failed to match traits and talent
  • Rush plan is somewhat basic at this stage of development
  • Long-arm bull rush is his only real rush tool
  • Hands lack skill and have yet to be unlocked as rush weapon
  • Lacks classic hip bend to dip and run the arc
  • Runs himself around the pocket rather than working back under
  • Plays fast but with no regulator for control
  • Lacks instincts and awareness for misdirections and counters
  • Tends to lose pad level on inside counters
  • Doesn't come to balance consistently as open-field tackler

This is carbon copy to what was said of Wilson.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Rashan Gary is actually a good comparison and a guy I loved coming out.

He comp'd to Ezekiel Ansah. Same comparison made Travon Walker and Tyree Wilson ironcially. All were HWS players, raw with limited tools but immense upside. 

Here is what was said of Gary who broke out year 3 for the Packers and is among the best young pass rushers in the NFL.

Weaknesses
  • Production as rusher failed to match traits and talent
  • Rush plan is somewhat basic at this stage of development
  • Long-arm bull rush is his only real rush tool
  • Hands lack skill and have yet to be unlocked as rush weapon
  • Lacks classic hip bend to dip and run the arc
  • Runs himself around the pocket rather than working back under
  • Plays fast but with no regulator for control
  • Lacks instincts and awareness for misdirections and counters
  • Tends to lose pad level on inside counters
  • Doesn't come to balance consistently as open-field tackler

This is carbon copy to what was said of Wilson.

Meh can’t call tyree a hws guy if you don’t know how fast he is imo.