1.13 - Lukas Van Ness [EDGE; Iowa]

CWood21

6 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Two months ago Van Ness was a guy Packers fans loved. Then his draft stock rises and people are like "damn I guess he's out of reach." Now he falls a bit and it's "Classic Packers pick, I am whelmed, should have taken a receiver" lol

Yes. Ignorant fans on Facebook be like, "Why didn't the Packers take a 1st round WR like all the times they did for Rodgers to help him win 4 MVP's?!"

The fact that we retained bum *** Joe Barry just makes this pick feel like a waste.

I wonder how good he is at dropping in coverage? Can he get to the QB in 1.2 seconds as our entire defensive back field was forced to play 12yds off the ball in a 3rd & 2 while the WR runs wide open for an easy first down? 

Not upset at the player, but I wanted this team to stack the offense for our new franchise(?) QB. Let's see what day two brings, but damn I REALLY wanted JSN.

Excellent player, ideal scheme fit, him and Gary should terrorize tackles for years. 

We now have 8 of our own first round picks in this defense. Barry has no excuse anymore. Can't have any more sunk costs. This should be an elite defense.

I hope passing on JSN and Flowers doesn't come back to haunt us later. Plenty of time to grab impact skill position players later in the draft but if there's a run then we might strike out.

The Packers have had a pretty strong history drafting players from Iowa. Van Ness is the 23rd Hawkeye to be drafted by the Packers and the 5th to be taken in the first round. 

QB Randy Duncan was the first overall pick in 1959. The others taken in the first round were three OLinemen Ron Hallstrom in 1982, Ross Verba in 1997, Brian Bulaga in 2010.

Aaron Kampman, Mike Daniels and Micah Hyde are a few other recent selections that have had success in GB.     

13 minutes ago, R T said:

The Packers have had a pretty strong history drafting players from Iowa. Van Ness is the 23rd Hawkeye to be drafted by the Packers and the 5th to be taken in the first round. 

QB Randy Duncan was the first overall pick in 1959. The others taken in the first round were three OLinemen Ron Hallstrom in 1982, Ross Verba in 1997, Brian Bulaga in 2010.

Aaron Kampman, Mike Daniels and Micah Hyde are a few other recent selections that have had success in GB.     

Fun Fact about Duncan, for those not in the know(and because my stubborn [BLEEP] won't go to bed); He is typically not known in Green Bay History despite actually being a #1 Overall selection because he immediately fled for Canada rather than play for the Packers. Of course, people will look at the year 1959 and conclude he either had no faith in Vince Lombardi or had a falling out with him. Truth is, the 1959 Draft, and others of its time, was hosted around December of the previous year, right around the close of the season. Lombardi wouldn't be on board with the team until two months later. Duncan also claimed Canada offered him more money, which is actually quite believable when I researched the 50s some time ago.

Additional Tidbits; Two other names alongside Duncan in Iowa were notable in GB History; Coach Forrest Evashevski was indeed one of the potential candidates the Packers sought for the Coach/GM Position, only he dropped out for unknown reasons fairly quickly. The other was a running back named Bob Jeter. Yes, like Herb Adderley, he also started out as a runningback, and wouldn't transfer over to defensive halfback until a two-year stint in Canada and a couple of years between the Taxi Squad and the Bench trying to get established.

History Lesson's over; I'm gonna go smack myself with a mallett. See you in Day 2!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That is a red flag for character.  He needs to drop that in a hurry, and never break bread with anyone associated with the Bears ever again.  Someone send this guy a butter burger.

Not too proud to say I would break that bread until the floor was just a mess of crumbs. 

9 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

Honestly, folks still thinking WR got nobody to blame but themselves. Gotta see it to believe it but until shown otherwise, gotta trust the history of this org/FO. They're gonna always prioritize OT, CB, Pass rush, and if/when needed, QB first and foremost with these early picks.

Think they'll stray a bit if they were picking late 1st but not in the top half

100%. Never ceases to amaze me how many don't pay attention to this. 

9 hours ago, Old Guy said:

OK, so that is an exaggeration. Players develop and he is going to develop but he can catch, and he can run so I'll take the speed. Him and Watson on the field at the same time, we will be getting a lot of two deep so we can run the ball which helps Love tremendously. 

You can teach technique, you can't teach speed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Two months ago Van Ness was a guy Packers fans loved. Then his draft stock rises and people are like "damn I guess he's out of reach." Now he falls a bit and it's "Classic Packers pick, I am whelmed, should have taken a receiver" lol

Yep.  Draftniks have been pointing to LVN for months as a primary RD1 target for GB.  Gute takes him, so naturally the "Love needs weapons!" crowd wants to make noise. Never mind that #13 was obviously too early for any WR/TE.  LVN was an easy pick to make once GB was on the clock. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I preferred Myles Murphy, but we got the 'right' position in round one. I don't dislike Van Ness at all. Both are very good power rushers and I'd take a player who emphasises power over a speed rusher every day and twice on Sundays.

LVN has way more upside than Murphy. I thought Murphy was way overrated tbh. He went about where I expected him to go. 

Also, I love that LVN can slide inside on passing downs and get pressure. 

• Like 1