1.13 - Lukas Van Ness [EDGE; Iowa]

CWood21

1 minute ago, HokieHigh said:

Knowing that lvns biggest knocks are technical (hand use and interior rush moves) makes me feel that this staff will bring him along. 

It worked with Rashan Gary.  Now, Gary wants to be great, you can tell in interviews.  At the time he was drafted, I said that if he busts, it is because he just didn't learn to football, because he sure is going to work.  And I believe I am correct.  I haven't had as much exposure to Van Ness, but I get a similar feeling. 

1 minute ago, PackFan13 said:

I think the kid will be good. We have to be near the top of the league in defensive players taken in the first. Will we finally get a top defense? 

I think our biggest problem is consistency.  We have weeks where we shut out Justin Jefferson, and really don't give anything up at all.  Then we also give up season highs to historically poor offenses like Detroit.  We also have a knack for giving up points in the last 2 minutes of either half.  Is this Jimmys and Joes, or X's and O's? Perhaps six of one, half a dozen of the other?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think our biggest problem is consistency.  We have weeks where we shut out Justin Jefferson, and really don't give anything up at all.  Then we also give up season highs to historically poor offenses like Detroit.  We also have a knack for giving up points in the last 2 minutes of either half.  Is this Jimmys and Joes, or X's and O's? Perhaps six of one, half a dozen of the other?

I would say it's 70% scheme, 30% motivation. Goes back to the whole thing being a Barry problem, not just in planning, but in inspiration. When the defense is clicking and schemed right, motivation goes through the roof. But when it's not right and the D gets gashed repeatedly, then you lose that concentration and you start really faltering near the end.

I also want very badly to make an allegory for Barry, but the politics will give me a ban for it.

12 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

LVN has a real chance to show just how mediocre our other defensive "stars" and first round picks really are.  

He has the athletic profile to compete for DPOY awards in year 3/4 of his rookie deal.

Given these grades, what you have LVN at?

Jalen Carter - 7.35

Anderson Jr - 7.22

Tyree Wilson - 6.93

Myles Murphy - 6.68

Nolan Smith - 6.63

Will McDonald - 6.33

LVN is very similar to when we took Gary in 2019. Big, athletic EDGE that has all the tools but needs to learn how to refine them. We've seen Gary develop into a great EDGE and I think LVN will eventually do the same. I envision they'll use him a lot like Za'Darius Smith was used inside. Great versatility.

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Jalen Carter - 7.35

Anderson Jr - 7.22

Tyree Wilson - 6.93

Myles Murphy - 6.68

Nolan Smith - 6.63

Will McDonald - 6.33

I had LVN at #7 on my top 100. Carter, Wilson, Anderson, Young, Witherspoon, Gonzalez, LVN. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Jalen Carter - 7.35

Anderson Jr - 7.22

Tyree Wilson - 6.93

Myles Murphy - 6.68

Nolan Smith - 6.63

Will McDonald - 6.33

High 6s 6.8-6.9? I get a bit confused with these grading scales since each tenth of a point at the top is a huge drop-off in grade but it doesn't really work as a quantitative measure because the distribution of grades is not evenly spread.

Worst case I think you have Nick Perry here.  Guy who turns his speed into power and gets sacks late in the down - useful, but a bit overrated as skills go for edge.  Stout against the run.

You have to love the upside here though - he doesn't have any real pass rush moves yet but he has ALL the stuff you can't teach.

It's not a pick without any risk - which I like honestly because it comes with the high upside.  But unlike a speed rusher with risk, I think LVN has a floor that won't kill you. 

Add in that he has some sub rush versatility, and ability to play alongside 2 other edge players and he can eat some snaps that almost no other player can in this draft outside of Carter, Anderson, and I guess Kancey.

• Like 2