2.50 - Jayden Reed [WR; Michigan State]

CWood21

15 minutes ago, R T said:

The one thing I do know about this player is that he will be the greatest player ever selected by the Packers 50th overall. In 87 years of drafting players, Jayden Reed is the first player the Packers have ever selected 50th overall. 

Maybe we should give him #50 instead of #1. Takes care of the Curly Lambeau controversy, and gets a new uniform for ZT who just looks smaller than he should wearing that number. 

Edited by Refugee

16 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

He's AB like more than Diggs. Very similar release off the line IMO.

I don't really see that either. 

On any of my draft boards, Reed would have a giant red flag next to his name that reads "high percentage of his catches are contested"

Both AB and Diggs were absolutely tremendous at separating. They had some of the lowest contested catch percentages in the league.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't really see that either. 

On any of my draft boards, Reed would have a giant red flag next to his name that reads "high percentage of his catches are contested"

Both AB and Diggs were absolutely tremendous at separating. They had some of the lowest contested catch percentages in the league.

Yah I feel you but that is mainly because their QB sucked.  By all accounts the kid can seperate. 

• Like 1

Comprehensive 25 mins highlight video. Many many snaps.

He's not bad at all. Got nice quickness to him, just not fast. Hands are good, gets open, can leap, shows the odd physicality.

This overall body of work is quite solid, just not spectacular. Think he can be even better in our offence.

48 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

But isn't this kind of the opposite of what MLF wants?  He wants to be able to line up and the defense won't be tipped off to what is coming because the players can fill multiple roles as needed. 

Hard to find Adams / Eatson in every draft

Player / position diversity is good

31 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

But isn't this kind of the opposite of what MLF wants?  He wants to be able to line up and the defense won't be tipped off to what is coming because the players can fill multiple roles as needed. 

I think with Reed, we have a guy that could line up outside, but will probably be used in the slot more often.  Cobb was able to do that, and even played from the backfield sometimes.  It won't look like Lazard or EQ, but he can probably move around the formation just fine.

39 minutes ago, Refugee said:

It has been brought up before but the coaches have talked about having a WR corps similar to a basketball team with some what specialized roles 1-5. There has always been room for a shiftier slot guy but we haven’t put much investment into it. Cobb of course but that was a different GM, recently with Amari but that flamed out quickly and now we have a pretty high pick here with Reed who is a true speed demon on the field compared to the others. The rest in that mold have been cast offs and udfa. It’s not that the Pack has shown zero interest in small receivers, but it’s clearly not a priority in terms of what they want. Like a basketball team, there can be role for a small exceptionally quick guy we sees things faster than most, but also like a basketball team you want most of your guys to be tall gazelles who can out run, and out jump the competition. The intangible is ball awareness and hands.  Any size guy can have that but it helps to have it in a long frame.

I am not so sure that we haven't made investments in the small WR role.  I just think that we really only want one at a time.  We drafted Jennings and Cobb in the second rounds of their drafts.  Both of them got good second contracts from the team.  We even brought back Cobb and paid him ~8.5 million over his two seasons.  We also drafted Amari in the third.  We can poo-poo Cobb being brought back as a Rodgers appeasement.  However, even as a guy whose best football was in the past, he out produced Ervin, Shepherd, Austin, and Amari combined.  I am thinking it is just a matter of not needing multiple "smalls" on the team.  Whereas, we take multiple bigger WRs to fill in the rest of the WR room.

• Like 1

For me this one will be an interesting one to follow. I didn't watch too much of Reed, but I did like both of the Tennessee WR who went back to back 73-74. My general assumption is the professionals  know better, mostly because my "scouting" is pretty cursory, but it'll be fun to watch the two guys they passed on and compare.

11 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Honestly probably both!

For your teams sake, I hope he does well.

I mean, I have to root against him but its nothing personal. 😁

I mean, personally, it is pretty easy to see my feelings on WRs that are not 6'2 or 200 pounds, I have projectile vomited that opinion everywhere, LOL.  Obviously, there are exceptions, that Justin Jefferson guy you have is pretty good.  

Given a little time, and a sleep, I feel a little better about the pick.  But Reed definitely wasn't my guy in the second.

• Like 1