2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

When did Michigan really need to?

It's a wild card with McCarthy. It's like a RB drafted by Green Bay during prime Rodgers years- they might actually be really good, but Green Bay was so good at passing the ball they never got to show it. We really don't know of he can or can't at this point. 

As for superstars....those are so few and far between It's silly to chase, imo. Alex Smith could've won a few Superbowls as his teams were in the mix most of the time once the 49ers revolving door of trash HCs ended. The Brady and Mahomes effect has skewed the perception of just how difficult itnis to get to one, much less win one. That Smith never got one doesn't make him lesser, imo. Rivers never played in one either and we'd all be glad to have him at QB. You don't seek out superstars, superstars happen. Mahomes, regardless of what anyone says, was not expected to be anywhere near as good as he's been. Rodgers was almost on the chopping block. Brees was alright but got traded. Josh Allen put it all together in a way we almost never see actually accomplished. 

It's totally fine to feel like McCarthy won't be one. But his performances against Alabama and Washington aren't very strong indicators, and not nearly the indictment of him some people are making it out to be. 

His entire college career as an individual passer/player was pretty underwhelming and he doesn't have elite traits. If he had a rocket arm, crazy mobility, etc. I could see it but he's just average physically with average film, reminds me of the Daniel Jones hype.

25 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Still not feeling the McCarthy hype personally. Come combine time when he tests well I am sure fans will do a 180 and begin to love the idea of him at #13, but he just has so many question marks.

I feel the reason fans will be big on him is more due to the alternatives.

19 minutes ago, OldManWillis said:

I feel the reason fans will be big on him is more due to the alternatives.

It's because he's the QB of the team that won the championship.

They're ignoring the fact that he had the #1 defense in the nation.

The guy is a project.  I personally do not think he is worth a first-round pick.  I would take him in the second or third.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jerry said:

The guy is a project.  I personally do not think he is worth a first-round pick.  I would take him in the second or third.

My exact thoughts 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Still not feeling the McCarthy hype personally. Come combine time when he tests well I am sure fans will do a 180 and begin to love the idea of him at #13, but he just has so many question marks. 

I wouldn't mind him, but I wouldn't take him at 13. I'd gladly trade back and take him in the mid 20's if that were a realistic option. 

Ideally, he's the guy you draft to sit for a few years behind someone good. We don't have that, and we don't have time.to cultivate that given the rest of our roster. 

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

I'll tell you right now. He's not as big a project as people act like he is. That line of thinking is due to his age and the conservative power run offense he played in. He's going top 10 and is going to surprise a lot of people when he gets on the field as a rookie. 

While I think some here are getting a little to carried away with hyperbole, he's going to be a stud. Sean Payton is reportedly enamored with him and he's not dummy. I pray he doesn't land in Denver. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I'll tell you right now. He's not as big a project as people act like he is. That line of thinking is due to his age and the conservative power run offense he played in. He's going top 10 and is going to surprise a lot of people when he gets on the field as a rookie. 

While I think some here are getting a little to carried away with hyperbole, he's going to be a stud. Sean Payton is reportedly enamored with him and he's not dummy. I pray he doesn't land in Denver. 

It looks that way right now

5 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The best QBs always have a ton of question marks, cept Peyton/Burrow/Elway.  

Mahomes, Brady, Montana, Young, Josh Allen, Favre, etc

6 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Like what? He hasn't thrown 500+ passes in a season sure. But like what specific aspect of his game, besides experience isn't up to par?

17 hours ago, JarrodR86 said:

Gonna go out on a limb here and trade up to #3 for… Marvin Harrison Jr.. 6’4”, 4.3 speed and the son of a HOFer.. #13, #44 and a 2025 1st may be enough but I’d throw in a potential 3rd/4th in either draft if necessary.. Adams, MHJ and Meyers would be a nasty WR trio.. Sign Cousins, shore up OLine in Free Agency and mid to late rounds and add two impact starters on D - CB and DT, whether that be Fuller/Snead and C. Jones/Ravens DT/Wilkins/L. Williams/Reader.. Sign/draft a change of pace back for Zamir unless Jacobs comes back for $6-8 mil..  if the defense plays top 10 to middle of the pack, that offense should score more points and more consistency than we’ve seen recently.  

Meh rather get jerry rice son mid rounds why he is getting slept on idk 

8 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

He'll likely go before 13 anyway. He's going to kill the combine bc he's an athlete and it's made for people like him. Hope we don't have any part of him. 

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Like what? He hasn't thrown 500+ passes in a season sure. But like what specific aspect of his game, besides experience isn't up to par?

His entire career is a question mark and tainted. He knew what the defense was doing almost the entire time and when that part of the team was officially gone, his numbers tanked (7 games, 170 YPG, 4 TDs, 1 INT) and the team carried him, not the other way around. 

He makes suspect decisions at times, was never asked to do much, didn't look good against some iffy teams (BGSU, TCU), seems to be more of an athlete than a QB. He got away with a lot playing a lot of bad competition in college which won't fly in the pros. He's definitely a project. 

2 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

His entire career is a question mark and tainted. He knew what the defense was doing almost the entire time and when that part of the team was officially gone, his numbers tanked (7 games, 170 YPG, 4 TDs, 1 INT) and the team carried him, not the other way around. 

He makes suspect decisions at times, was never asked to do much, didn't look good against some iffy teams (BGSU, TCU), seems to be more of an athlete than a QB. He got away with a lot playing a lot of bad competition in college which won't fly in the pros. He's definitely a project. 

Yea, I just watched him versus Maryland and he threw what could’ve been 5 potential picks on 23 attempts. Including a running cross body throw right to the defender who dropped it and a terrible redzone INT. And he missed a wide open TD by a good amount of yards. 

He’s definitely raw. I dont think there’s any denying that. But I can definitely see why alot of folks like him, as he does have alot of good traits that project well for the future. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jerry said:

The WR position is literally one of the least of our concerns.

On 2/20/2024 at 3:58 PM, Chali21 said:

WRs are probably the easiest position to find. 

Hence why now is the time to trade Adams if he has any value. We've got enough depth but we need a QB to get our WR's the ball.

I still think Cards are our best shot BEFORE the draft as I think prices will go higher during. I'm willing to trade Tae (to move up, Miller (1st or move up keeping future picks) and AOC (Jets? 4th). If it goes QB 1/2/3 and we've traded Tae and Miller then we will get offers for teams wanting their top T or top WR and then trade down but not further than 7-10 

90% of the mocks I do we have a reach @13 and probably no trade down because all the high end is gone. A move up is a must if we want a QB. OL or CB and we're good at 13 but I think even moving to 7-10 range is worth it. Depends on how heavy the asking price is to trade up.