2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

59 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

If Dallas Turner falls to us we’re taking him, right?

I'd have no problem taking a player in the 1st at any of our perceived areas of strength (with the notable exception being QB) - that includes EDGE, OT, WR or even TE (Brock Bowers) if the team evaluates them as a long-term fixture.  We have lots of other picks to fill in other gaps.   Dallas Turner looks like he might be one of those guys you just take and add to the room.  If he's not playing significant minutes year one he is by yr 2 of his contract.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

What does "buttoned up" mean? Trying to control who drafts him? Trying to assure he's the #1 pick?

He's probably weighing NIL deals to stay, seeing what an NFL agent could get him for endorsements and I'm sure knowing what we know about Caleb that he's in contact with the Bears to see if their plan is to keep or trade the #1 pick. 

I'm 95% sure he'll declare. 

26 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He's probably weighing NIL deals to stay, seeing what an NFL agent could get him for endorsements and I'm sure knowing what we know about Caleb that he's in contact with the Bears to see if their plan is to keep or trade the #1 pick. 

I'm 95% sure he'll declare. 

One would have to think going to the Bears would be a major deterrent to coming out. The organization is ****. It would greatly decrease the value of that pick too, probably give Fields a reprieve in Chicago as well. 

End of the day, I still think he comes out. Maybe not as sure as you are though. 

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

One would have to think going to the Bears would be a major deterrent to coming out. The organization is ****. It would greatly decrease the value of that pick too, probably give Fields a reprieve in Chicago as well. 

End of the day, I still think he comes out. Maybe not as sure as you are though. 

The Bengals were one of the laughing stocks of the NFL prior to Burrow, the Jags too prior to Lawrence. Now the Bengals are praised routinely and the Jags are a decent, competitive team.

A good QB changes everything.

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The Bengals were one of the laughing stocks of the NFL prior to Burrow, the Jags too prior to Lawrence. Now the Bengals are praised routinely and the Jags are a decent, competitive team.

A good QB changes everything.

Chicago has to have some intrigue for a college QB. Historic franchise. Huge market. Loyal fans. Yeah they've been down lately, and their FO is questionable so I get the reasons for concern, but it's also an attractive place in some regards. 

Likely will have new facilities somewhat soon, perhaps while he's still on his rookie contract.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Chicago has to have some intrigue for a college QB. Historic franchise. Huge market. Loyal fans. Yeah they've been down lately, and their FO is questionable so I get the reasons for concern, but it's also an attractive place in some regards. 

Likely will have new facilities somewhat soon, perhaps while he's still on his rookie contract.

They already have a strike or two against them by sticking with the Flus, plus their ownership sucks.  Washington has big money ownership and just hired a top guy from the Niners to be their GM and head of football operations.  Ben Johnson is thought to be their target at HC.  If I'm Caleb or Maye I want to go there over the Bears.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

What is his NIL deal looking like vs year 1 draft pick money? 

I honestly have no clue about either number.

But as much as I hate to say it, I do like the Bears roster.  They have the 7th most cap space to use too.  If I am a potential number 1 pick, I am confident enough to think I can make that work.  I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that he is not good just because Chicago Bears, though he will still suck regardless.

• Like 1

If Caleb Williams stays, it will have very little to do with the NIL. It’ll mainly because he doesn’t want to go to Chicago. Getting to a 2nd contract sooner is exponentially more important than  the NIL for the year. 

I’d be dead shocked if he doesn’t declare 

• Like 1

There is no conceivable way that Caleb Williams gets an NIL deal that's commensurate to his NFL salary, even ignoring the fact that "getting to the league a year sooner gets you the contract extension a year sooner, which is where the real money is."

The total spend for all NIL deals for "teams that are legitimately competing for championships" in college football is something like $12m-$15m, you're not committing 1/3 of that to one player.

27 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What is his NIL deal looking like vs year 1 draft pick money? 

I honestly have no clue about either number.

No idea on the NIL money.  Below is the rookie pick info.  Tap/ click on the picks ( round/ slot to see cap charges)

https://overthecap.com/draft

27 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

But as much as I hate to say it, I do like the Bears roster.  They have the 7th most cap space to use too.  If I am a potential number 1 pick, I am confident enough to think I can make that work.  I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that he is not good just because Chicago Bears, though he will still suck regardless.

Chicago is poised to make some nice additions.  Whether they do is TBD

4 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

If Caleb Williams stays, it will have very little to do with the NIL. It’ll mainly because he doesn’t want to go to Chicago. Getting to a 2nd contract sooner is exponentially more important than  the NIL for the year. 

I’d be dead shocked if he doesn’t declare 

Might be fun to be starting QB at USC, there are perks beyond NIL money

• Like 1

13 hours ago, squire12 said:

Might be fun to be starting QB at USC, there are perks beyond NIL money

Yep.  Matt Leinhart was projected #1 overall after winning the Heisman as a junior, but he went back to USC for his senior year.  Leinhart would have been in the Rodgers draft had he declared as a junior.