2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

59 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Allen’s pretty far down the list of potential feature backs. Great of you can pair him with an Irving, Shipley, or someone that can block and catch, you have a nice Ying/Yang. But Allen will require an entire season to fit the offense on 3rd downs, and I’m not sure he’s going to run faster than 4.65. I would take him with our 3rds if no other RB is available. Bottom of round 3 grade. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him in round 6 simultaneously. Limited market for a limited skill set.

Can you show me a clip of him playing slow? I don't see a sprinter, but he looks fast enough to me.  Note that Eddie Lacy ran 4.64 at his pro day, and he made it work.  

I don't have any skin in the game.  I couldn't care less if a Wisconsin player does well or not.  I am just not seeing what you are seeing.

The thing Allen needs to show the NFL in order to get drafted in round 2 instead of round 6 is mostly "is he useful in the passing game."   Since you figure that if he were well-suited to this, Luke Fickell might have made use of it.  But this is the fallacy of rational coaching.

12 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Can you show me a clip of him playing slow? I don't see a sprinter, but he looks fast enough to me.  Note that Eddie Lacy ran 4.64 at his pro day, and he made it work.  

I don't have any skin in the game.  I couldn't care less if a Wisconsin player does well or not.  I am just not seeing what you are seeing.

Agreed.  I don't see a 4.65 player when Allen is in the clear.  He's not Jonathan Taylor fast, but he's fast enough.

Feldman is a legit source, and if he has Allen logging 10-yard split of 1.49, I believe it.  I don't know anything about what's "normal" for sprinters, but I'm going to assume it would be unusual for a RB to post a 4.65 40 with 1.49 at 10 yards.  Eddie's 10 yard split was 1.65 on his 4.64 pro day 40.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The thing Allen needs to show the NFL in order to get drafted in round 2 instead of round 6 is mostly "is he useful in the passing game."   Since you figure that if he were well-suited to this, Luke Fickell might have made use of it.  But this is the fallacy of rational coaching.

They did try this btw. Longo's idea of this was use him in slow developing pass plays and it went about as well as you'd expect. He's not dynamic enough to be used that way. He's got good hands but he's Derrick Henry, not Christian McCaffrey.

Here's a list of RBs in this class I'm confident can be feature backs:

Jonathan Brooks (currently rehabbing an ACL tear).

Allen isn't going to make it out of round 4, and could go in round 2. He at least has a body to be a feature back. This class is full of complimentary backs but barren for game changers. I think it comes down to what you need, Shipley, Irving and Lloyd will battle for the top scat back while Estime and Allen will duke it out for the top bruiser. If you don't get Brooks, it all depends on what body type you want.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Allen isn't going to make it out of round 4, and could go in round 2. He at least has a body to be a feature back. This class is full of complimentary backs but barren for game changers. I think it comes down to what you need, Shipley, Irving and Lloyd will battle for the top scat back while Estime and Allen will duke it out for the top bruiser. If you don't get Brooks, it all depends on what body type you want.

What are your thoughts on Trey Benson out of FSU? Do you think he can be a feature back?

The biggest thing making me doubt Allen will land in GB is that I'd expect Gute to just keep Dillon on a cheap deal rather than spending a day 2 pick on Allen.  If Gute goes for an early(ish) RB, I wouldn't expect it to be a bruiser.

35 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Think Brooks lasts until either of our 3rd round picks? I've been targeting him at these spots in mocks lately, and it seems 50/50 whether he is there past about pick 75.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I need to see his Combine first, he's got an awkward gait that I don't love, wondering if it shows up in this tests.

Trey Benson should have PLENTY of top end speed.

According to this he's the only player in college football to hit 21+MPH three times this season.

https://collegefootballnetwork.com/college-footballs-fastest-players-2023/

Edited by wgbeethree

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Watch him against Ohio St-Illinois-Purdue. Those are on YouTube and take like 15 minutes total. You can get the entire picture on Allen there. A lot of getting what was blocked for him. Couple stiff arms. Couple truck sticks on undersized defenders. Actually looks natural catching. 

He isn’t slow. He just doesn’t have a home run gear and he does have typical signs of being too heavy. Start/stop issues. Power seems missing if he’s behind the LOS at contact. Legs seem to get tied up at times too easily. He may not even have AJ Dillon’s 4.5 speed. They actually have very similar profiles. Although Gute felt Dillon was worth a 2nd at the time, doesn’t anyone consider Dillon a needle mover four years in? That’s the fear—burn a 2 on a guy you aren’t excited about as their rookie contract expires.

I like Allen enough to want to draft him  in the third, but we’d also need to find an immediate 3rd down back. Maybe you pair Allen and Jones together for a year? That would be solid. But long term, we’re going to pair him with a different play style to get the most out of the position. Allen needs to show he’s as fast or faster than the tape to stay in day 2. And he can’t rely on his work in the weight room to keep him upright against NFL size and speed because as we’ve seen with AJ Dillon, starting caliber LBs do not care anymore. They’re 245 running 4.6 too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Watch him against Ohio St-Illinois-Purdue. Those are on YouTube and take like 15 minutes total. You can get the entire picture on Allen there. A lot of getting what was blocked for him. Couple stiff arms. Couple truck sticks on undersized defenders. Actually looks natural catching. 

He isn’t slow. He just doesn’t have a home run gear and he does have typical signs of being too heavy. Start/stop issues. Power seems missing if he’s behind the LOS at contact. Legs seem to get tied up at times too easily. He may not even have AJ Dillon’s 4.5 speed. They actually have very similar profiles. Although Gute felt Dillon was worth a 2nd at the time, doesn’t anyone consider Dillon a needle mover four years in? That’s the fear—burn a 2 on a guy you aren’t excited about as their rookie contract expires.

I like Allen enough to want to draft him  in the third, but we’d also need to find an immediate 3rd down back. Maybe you pair Allen and Jones together for a year? That would be solid. But long term, we’re going to pair him with a different play style to get the most out of the position. Allen needs to show he’s as fast or faster than the tape to stay in day 2. And he can’t rely on his work in the weight room to keep him upright against NFL size and speed because as we’ve seen with AJ Dillon, starting caliber LBs do not care anymore. They’re 245 running 4.6 too. 

I've not seen any of him till these highlights....and I'm sure he's a good back, but the lack of a top gear was evident to me....and if he's wanting in catching the ball????

4 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Will do.  I usually don't dig into any prospects until the Packers are done.  So hopefully that will be in a few weeks.  I was just taken aback by claims that he wasn't fast, while he looked fast enough in his highlights.