2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

15 minutes ago, R T said:

He is the 108th ranked player on the consensus big board this morning and 8th overall RB. Not everyone needs to be a 1st round pick, the Packers have picks in the other rounds also. 

*checks notes     

This checks out - we do have picks in other rounds.     

Think Shipley ends up going very late 3rd or early 4th like his ranking would suggest

13 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Exercise in futility until you get his pro day numbers. These are all estimated. 

Shipley ran 4.39 40 yesterday, trying to find splits & any agility times

went back and watched caff college, they do look very similar. I think Shipley has noticebly worse balance but otherwise similar cut style

Shipley also doesnt have a supermodel fiance

Edited by JBURGE

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

You guys see CMC in Shipley?

I see Aaron Jones, but a little more polished catching the ball.  

I'm not sure what everyone is watching on this guy (hopefully i find some other stuff to watch) but the highlight video I saw was just him running into a pile every time for 4 yards or so. Didn't stand out at all. 

7 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

went back and watched caff college, they do look very similar. I think Shipley has noticebly worse balance but otherwise similar cut style

Shipley also doesnt have a supermodel fiance

I saw Shipley put his hand on the ground to regain balance a couple times that reminded me SOOO much of CMC. I think that balance is a strength for both of them, but certainly CMC has translated his to significant NFL success. TBD on Shipley, but the potential is there IMO.

LIS though, CMC "lite" right now. He's not "2022 NFL OPOY CMC" as a college player.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I'm not sure what everyone is watching on this guy (hopefully i find some other stuff to watch) but the highlight video I saw was just him running into a pile every time for 4 yards or so. Didn't stand out at all. 

What?

Will be interesting when and where Packers choose a back.  Lots of backs with interesting qualities.  I'm not a fan of "power back" model.  Seems like a lot of promising options in our 2nd-3rd-4th round picks.  Who knows which we'll get.  

8 minutes ago, beekay414 said:
19 minutes ago, Kepler said:

What?

One of his highlight reels, the first 3-4 plays are all short yardage runs up the gut. But the next dozen or two are more highlighty. 

I thought those runs up the gut are still good to see tho. Positive yardage when not much is blocked is still a win.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

One of his highlight reels, the first 3-4 plays are all short yardage runs up the gut. But the next dozen or two are more highlighty. 

I thought those runs up the gut are still good to see tho. Positive yardage when not much is blocked is still a win.

Since you brought him up as someone you would be OK with at #25, I blame you for this Shipley debate.  I've had him pegged for 88 or 91, and would be quite happy to see it play out that way.  I would be OK with Shipley at 58, buy only OK.

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Since you brought him up as someone you would be OK with at #25, I blame you for this Shipley debate.  I've had him pegged for 88 or 91, and would be quite happy to see it play out that way.  I would be OK with Shipley at 58, buy only OK.

i haven't looked at just about anyone else, or other positions yet.

but watching shipley, then seeing his production and measureables, he sure seems like more of a late 1st, early 2nd guy to me in a 'typical' year (and pretty clearly the best RB i've seen anything about this year so far).

4 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

Jerzhan newton has been falling to 25 a bunch this week on pff. Not sure why it is happening all of the sudden, but would probably be a good pick if it happens. 

Will need a year or two to develop 

Definitely wouldn't say no.  Don't think it's an ideal fit if Hafley sticks with what he's been doing going back to tOSU. 

Just doesn't handle double teams well enough.