2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

9 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Why isn't there more love for Braelon Allen from all the Badger homers?

Disappointed he didn't run at WI Pro Day. I wanted my eyes to be proven wrong, that he is not as slow on take off as it looks to my eyes.

8 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

The trade values on mockdraftdatabase are so messed up. You can accumulate so many picks, including many 2rps for next year. 

I think it's literally random.  Like a team will offer you a bunch of 5ths for a 2, or a future 2 for a 5th.

9 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

The trade values on mockdraftdatabase are so messed up. You can accumulate so many picks, including many 2rps for next year. 

I do like that mock draft site, but tend not to use the trade options, with one exception. If the deal seems fair and the guys I like are gone, I'll often accept a trade back in round one, as long as the other team's 2025 picks are not a big part of the deal. Same applies to the  PFN draft site.........and I turn off the trades button on Draft Buzz.

Signing Dillon just means you only need 1 rookie RB instead of 2. You can use him in those pass pro and other situations where you feel you can depend on him and work the rookie into more and more responsibility over the course of the season. If you don't resign Dillon you are basically having to count on 2 rookies. This way you can get one guy this year and another next year. If they happen to find 2 RB that are good value maybe they do that and see how camp goes, but I imagine right now they'd expect Dillon to be on the roster.

• Like 2

Why don't we see more Memphis offensive linemen in the NFL?  They always have at least one NFL level RB on their team.  Someone has to be leading the way.  Is it just good scheme, or big fish little pond? I don't get it.  Looking at their roster, there are some freshmen that need to hit the cafeteria, but most of them are about 6'4 and 300.

18 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I guess he could be.  If I am building the RB room, I would like to add a scat back type to what we have.  We have 4 RBs currently.  They are all 220 or heavier.  Maybe a change of pace guy that is a little quicker can fill out the room.

Sounds great until injuries pile up and you are stuck with a scat back to handle everything.  Get the complete back who can run between the tackles and catch passes in the power game.  

I get the attraction of a scat back and the dimension it adds, but I think the approach they want is plug and play, not we have to change everything because our scatback is what we are left with.   I think they want the power guy who can catch.  JMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Jaheim Bell is my round 4/5 TE/HB replacement for Deguara. 

You want a guy who doesn't have any pop in his pads and struggles lining up blocks in space to be a lead blocker?

There's ~200-400 yards to be made for the HBack. Blocking is 100% the most important part of the job. The 2nd is knowing where to find a soft spot and don't drop the ball if it comes to you.

14 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Sounds great until injuries pile up and you are stuck with a scat back to handle everything.  Get the complete back who can run between the tackles and catch passes in the power game.  

Sure.  Can you pick one of those up at the corner store for cheap for GB.  Thanks!!

14 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I get the attraction of a scat back and the dimension it adds, but I think the approach they want is plug and play, not we have to change everything because our scatback is what we are left with.   I think they want the power guy who can catch.  JMO.

I get what you are saying.  But having diversity in an offense is also important.   Different skillsets adds more to an offense.  

PS options for a plug and play type back exist if injuries keep guys out for a game or 2.  

21 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Except you don't build a roster expecting injuries.  And it's not like the Packers are realistically going to carry 4 RBs on the 53 man roster.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Except you don't build a roster expecting injuries.  And it's not like the Packers are realistically going to carry 4 RBs on the 53 man roster.

In the past they could have, but with today's PS rules it makes less sense. Way too easy now to stash a guy and just call him up here and there.

Edited by packfanfb

The idea that Gute just wants bigger RB's, and wouldn't be interested in a player like Shipley is a little nuts to me. Gute signed Jones to a 4Y/48M contract 3 years ago, and I'd think GB fans and FO alike would agree that Jones has been a primary engine of the offense since that deal was signed.  Shipley comes in at 5'11" 206 lb while Jones is listed at 5'9" 208. 

Shipley's pro-day numbers for the 40 (4.39) and 10-yd split (1.54) were slightly faster vs what is shown below, along with a top 3 short shuttle (4.11) and tie for best 3-cone (6.81) among RB's.  Now there are GB fans who think Gute won't be interested in a RB with this profile?  I just don't get it.

d83bc8aa0c151802a068ef0c01996b3a100ee0b7

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The idea that Gute just wants bigger RB's, and wouldn't be interested in a player like Shipley is a little nuts to me. Gute signed Jones to a 4Y/48M contract 3 years ago, and I'd think GB fans and FO alike would agree that Jones has been a primary engine of the offense since that deal was signed.  Shipley comes in at 5'11" 206 lb while Jones is listed at 5'9" 208. 

Shipley's pro-day numbers for the 40 (4.39) and 10-yd split (1.54) were slightly faster vs what is shown below, along with a top 3 short shuttle (4.11) and tie for best 3-cone (6.81) among RB's.  Now there are GB fans who think Gute won't be interested in a RB with this profile?  I just don't get it.

d83bc8aa0c151802a068ef0c01996b3a100ee0b7

i probably poisoned his name on here now coming out so strong for him :)