2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

41 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Hey @ThatJerkDave any chance Mizzou stud RB Cody Schrader falls to the Jets’ (our) 2nd rd pick?

I would guess 100% chance he is there.

He his having an all-time season.  Great story, great production on his last chance, great kid.  But we are still talking about a zero star recruit that started at Truman State (small directional Missouri school) and made the team as a walk-on.  I think when the work out numbers come in, he is a very, very low RAS guy.  I would be surprised if he gets drafted.  That said, we may want to keep tabs on the Mizzou OL coach who seemingly has turned chicken **** into chicken salad this year.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I would guess 100% chance he is there.

He his having an all-time season.  Great story, great production on his last chance, great kid.  But we are still talking about a zero star recruit that started at Truman State (small directional Missouri school) and made the team as a walk-on.  I think when the work out numbers come in, he is a very, very low RAS guy.  I would be surprised if he gets drafted.  That said, we may want to keep tabs on the Mizzou OL coach who seemingly has turned chicken **** into chicken salad this year.  

He's kinda short too (5'9 or so iirc) but he's been killing it this year.  I was impressed by him during the Georgia and PumpkinVomit games.

F_vdN8BWIAAZiRa?format=jpg&name=medium

It will be interesting to see how the RB class shapes up as we approach the draft and where Schrader fits in overall (and if he's a day 2-3 possibility).  I didn't realize he walked on but the list of players who did the same and eventually succeeded at the NFL level is impressive.  Not saying he will but it would be a nice story.

Edited by thrILL!
sp

4 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

He's kinda short too (5'9 or so iirc) but he's been killing it this year.  I was impressed by him during the Georgia and PumpkinVomit games.

F_vdN8BWIAAZiRa?format=jpg&name=medium

It will be interesting to see how the RB class shapes up as we approach the draft and where Schrader fits in overall (and if he's a day 2-3 possibility).  I didn't realize he walked on but the list of players who did the same and eventually succeeded at the NFL level is impressive.  Not saying he will but it would be a nice story.

Love the season that he is having.  But recent Mizzou RBs that have had a cup of coffee in the NFL:  Damarea Crockett and Henry Josey were probably much better athletes.  And they never amounted to anything in the league.  Or maybe I am wrong.  Not rooting against the guy by any means.  

This site has him rated as 19th RB in the class.  Not necessarily sure I agree with the analysis, they say he played as a freshman at Missouri.  But I was looking at his size and speed.  I do believe we greatly exaggerated our players' attributes in the past.  Some lived up to them, like Jeremy Maclin, but many did not.  So we will see.  But his current estimated 40 is 4.6, and he is listed at 5'9 and 213.  So he isn't a big bruiser, and he isn't really running by people either.  

https://nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Cody-Schrader-RB-Missouri

I will be interested in getting real official workout numbers before I make a true judgement.  

• Like 1

Do the Packers need to draft a WR in the 2024 draft. If so, where ?

My opinion is that the keepers at this time are Reed, Watson, Doubs, Heath.

Melton and Toure may be gone if they find someone better. Not sure what to think about Wicks.

The Packers seem to have a decent WR room, only missing that killer outside WR. You have a bunch of 2's and 3's (you could put Reed, Watson and Doubs in there). Heath seems to be a solid 4/5, his 4.64 speed lets him down, but he seems a reliable hands guy now though, which wasn't always the case in college.

What this means is that if the Packers take a WR, they should either be chasing a no.1 (meaning a day 1 or 2 pick) or adding a later pick for a high-upside developmental guy, who can have a little time to develop and earn his keep early on in ST duties.

You could make a case for getting any of Nabers (LSU, 6'0", 200, 4.40), Odunze (Washington, 6'3", 215, 4.45), Coleman (Florida St., 6'4", 215, 4.45) or Egbuka (Ohio St., 6'1", 206, sub 4.42) in round one, or Legette (6'3", 227, sub 4.4) in round 2.  Worthy and Franklin don't look like Packers type WRs. Johnny Wilson is virtually a TE (Florida St., 6'6", 237, sub 4.45 speed), almost a Christian Watson mk2, who would be worth taking a chance on if still there in round three. Jermaine Burton (Alabama, 6'0", 194, sub 4.4) is another WR who might be a better pro than in college, who could be attractive in round 3/4.

As you can see, there seem to be lots of WRs that fit in the Packers preferred size/weight/speed this year -  and there are enough of them that good receivers will slip down and could be available late round 2 or rounds 3/4.

For those of you that watch plenty of college football, who do you like, and should you pull the trigger on a WR early on ?

On the whole I tend to go elsewhere on mock drafts (I tend to emphasise O line first, then Safety and RB), but I can see the case for one good WR to round out that room.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

14 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Do the Packers need to draft a WR in the 2024 draft. If so, where ?

My opinion is that the keepers at this time are Reed, Watson, Doubs, Heath.

Melton and Toure may be gone if they find someone better. Not sure what to think about Wicks.

The Packers seem to have a decent WR room, only missing that killer outside WR. You have a bunch of 2's and 3's (you could put Reed, Watson and Doubs in there). Heath seems to be a solid 4/5, his 4.64 speed lets him down, but he seems a reliable hands guy now though, which wasn't always the case in college.

What this means is that if the Packers take a WR, they should either be chasing a no.1 (meaning a day 1 or 2 pick) or adding a later pick for a high-upside developmental guy, who can have a little time to develop and earn his keep early on in ST duties.

You could make a case for getting any of Nabers (LSU, 6'0", 200, 4.40), Odunze (Washington, 6'3", 215, 4.45), Coleman (Florida St., 6'4", 215, 4.45) or Egbuka (Ohio St., 6'1", 206, sub 4.42) in round one, or Legette (6'3", 227, sub 4.4) in round 2.  Worthy and Franklin don't look like Packers type WRs. Johnny Wilson is virtually a TE (Florida St., 6'6", 237, sub 4.45 speed), almost a Christian Watson mk2, who would be worth taking a chance on if still there in round three. Jermaine Burton (Alabama, 6'0", 194, sub 4.4) is another WR who might be a better pro than in college, who could be attractive in round 3/4.

As you can see, there seem to be lots of WRs that fit in the Packers preferred size/weight/speed this year -  and there are enough of them that good receivers will slip down and could be available late round 2 or rounds 3/4.

For those of you that watch plenty of college football, who do you like, and should you pull the trigger on a WR early on ?

On the whole I tend to go elsewhere on mock drafts (I tend to emphasise O line first, then Safety and RB), but I can see the case for one good WR to round out that room.

I'll help you with Wicks at least.. guys a stud , slide him into your keepers category. He's pushing for starting time.

I think there's a couple in Reed and Watson who have enough ceiling left to not take them out of a top tier WR consideration. Watson learns how to attack the ball, Reed sharpens his routes to perfection I don't see why they can't be legit #1 type guys. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am at a bit of a loss tying to understand how someone could view Heath as a long term keeper at WR while having questions about Wicks.

I don't see Heath as a long term keeper, but a fill-in for a year or two. I'm glad to hear people enthused about Wicks, because it is helping me make my mind up about him. I just looked at his stats and I obviously missed how impactful he has been. It's like I had a blind spot where he is concerned.

7 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I don't see Heath as a long term keeper, but a fill-in for a year or two. I'm glad to hear people enthused about Wicks, because it is helping me make my mind up about him. I just looked at his stats and I obviously missed how impactful he has been. It's like I had a blind spot where he is concerned.

I guess I misunderstood.  When I see someone describe a young player as a "keeper" the long-term is implied in my mind.