2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

17 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I don't think I've ever seen hands as a major issue for him. Most likely doing a lot more thinking then playing at the moment. Will probably get better with reps. 

Drops have never been an issue for him .. it just happens now and again.  He will be fine.  

4 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

Bummer to see garvin cut after a few years of hoping he would put it together. Must have showed up out of shape 

It was probably time. He was my sleeper to make the year 2 jump based on athletic profile and age. I figured he’d start putting it together and take a big step. Never happened and every time we brought in a journeyman like Mercilus or Hollins, they outplayed him even though they just got into our system. The fact that they had him running with the DL meant he was probably overweight. Good luck to him, maybe he works out better for someone else. First true cut of camp.

Edited by Refugee

13 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Bummer to see garvin cut after a few years of hoping he would put it together. Must have showed up out of shape 

We've added talent to that room so he didn't have a shot in hell at making the team absent injury. Best to give him a shot now to catch on elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

Reminds me of Vernon Gholston from Ohio State back a while. Jets took him in the first round. Looked like Tarzan played like Jane. 

Garvin had the measurables you look for, but he was not good at football. 

17 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Cut on his birthday too?  damn.  

The guy was a marginal player who skipped the offseason workouts. My theory is he knew his prospects of making the team weren't good and wanted to be released so he could try to latch on somewhere else. So think of it as a birthday present.

Ts

• Like 1

Garvin has no one to blame but Garvin. When you're a fringe guy constantly skipping Involuntary workouts that shows your true commitment to making a roster. When I heard he was working with the DL instead of the OLBs, knew the writing was on the wall.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Reminds me of Vernon Gholston from Ohio State back a while. Jets took him in the first round. Looked like Tarzan played like Jane. 

Garvin had the measurables you look for, but he was not good at football. 

Garvin is more like Kendall Donnerson that we drafted in the 7th in like 2014 or 15.  

Gholston was a colossal bust.  These were lotto tickets on high RAS guys. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

Garvin has no one to blame but Garvin. When you're a fringe guy constantly skipping Involuntary workouts that shows your true commitment to making a roster. When I heard he was working with the DL instead of the OLBs, knew the writing was on the wall.

This.  Unless you're a seasoned vet, you should be at every voluntary activity.  Timing sucks, but he has nobody to blame but himself.

• Like 2

People act like Garvin should be bummed out about his release, second guessing himself and what he should have done differently. But his release very well could be more of a feeling of relief than disappointment for him. Garvin reminds me of Nick Perry a little bit, not from a production standpoint but from the side that they both didn't seem to really like playing football. 

I think that is a lot more common than fans realize and a concept most just can't grasp. Most of these guys have been playing and training since grade school and the burnout factor is going to be high, yet when their draft year comes it is a chance to cash in a little. Milk it out for 2 or 3 years and they have a bank roll to get the next stage of their life's started in the right direction. Who wouldn't love to have a nice home paid for by 25 years of age. 

Football is a job for them, the NFL is a corporate business just like many fans are employed by a corporate business. Fans want to kill the player for not maximizing every ounce of his ability for the team they cheer for, yet most well all of those critical fans are just sliding by at their own corporate jobs. 

Garvin made about 2.3M in his 3 years in GB, I hope it gives him a good start to the rest of his life and I wish him well in whatever career path he should chose. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, R T said:

People act like Garvin should be bummed out about his release, second guessing himself and what he should have done differently. But his release very well could be more of a feeling of relief than disappointment for him. Garvin reminds me of Nick Perry a little bit, not from a production standpoint but from the side that they both didn't seem to really like playing football. 

I think that is a lot more common than fans realize and a concept most just can't grasp. Most of these guys have been playing and training since grade school and the burnout factor is going to be high, yet when their draft year comes it is a chance to cash in a little. Milk it out for 2 or 3 years and they have a bank roll to get the next stage of their life's started in the right direction. Who wouldn't love to have a nice home paid for by 25 years of age. 

Football is a job for them, the NFL is a corporate business just like many fans are employed by a corporate business. Fans want to kill the player for not maximizing every ounce of his ability for the team they cheer for, yet most well all of those critical fans are just sliding by at their own corporate jobs. 

Garvin made about 2.3M in his 3 years in GB, I hope it gives him a good start to the rest of his life and I wish him well in whatever career path he should chose. 

Good take

3 hours ago, R T said:

Maybe..

Or maybe he's just not good enough.