2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What do you value more at the pivot?

Tom's lateral movement skills, and pass blocking quickness.

Or 

Meyer's technique, drive skills, and anchor? 

If you prefer Tom, can you justify putting a guy who has Tackle athleticism and skill set at Center? Are you comfortable reshuffling the entire line if Bakhtiari blows out his knee in week 6? Because if that happens, Tom is headed out to Tackle. 

If you prefer Meyers, how do you square with the fact that Tom's technique at Center and his anchor and drive skills will improve with weight and reps, and that Meyers is headed into a walk year, the year after this one? 

Is Bakh blows out his knee I think we're pretty ****ed either way. My dream/miracle is Rhyan wins the RT job, i know it's a fantasy, and Tom wins center. Maybe Meyers could beat out Runyan, who I don't think we will offer as much as he could get in free agency. 

Bakh, Jenkins, Tom, Meyers, Rhyan. Runyan is back up interior guy and Nijman is the swing tackle. Even if Runyan is the RG and Meyers is the backup interior guy I'd be OK. Just need Rhyan to keep stacking good days and beat our Nijman which is a stretch. 

7 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Is Bakh blows out his knee I think we're pretty ****ed either way. My dream/miracle is Rhyan wins the RT job, i know it's a fantasy, and Tom wins center. Maybe Meyers could beat out Runyan, who I don't think we will offer as much as he could get in free agency. 

Bakh, Jenkins, Tom, Meyers, Rhyan. Runyan is back up interior guy and Nijman is the swing tackle. Even if Runyan is the RG and Meyers is the backup interior guy I'd be OK. Just need Rhyan to keep stacking good days and beat our Nijman which is a stretch. 

I am EXTREMELY skeptical about Rhyan's ability to function at Tackle. Stranger things have happened in this system, but Rhyan seems like a very natural fit at Guard. I also don't know what you project Rhyan to do at Tackle that Nijman doesn't already. 

If the goal is to get Rhyan into the lineup, it would seem that the most direct route to it is to have him overtake Runyan. 

+++

I think the easiest lineup here is:

LT: Bakhtiari (Best guy on the offense right now. If you're SB contenders or close this year and he plays well, you keep him around and restructure his contract. If not, he's trade bait. Get a 1st round draft pick for a team making a push.)

LG: Jenkins (So long as he's got his money, he's probably happy on the interior. Depending on healthy, I'm still not sure he isn't the second best RT on the team.)

Center: Meyers/Tom (I lean Meyers in this fight predominantly because I want Tom to win the RT job.)

RG: Runyan (as underwhelming as it is, he'll make it based on his pass pro. I hope somebody takes that job from him, but I don't see a likely candidate. 

RT: Tom/Nijman (Nijman's in his walk year, and unless something's going on with Bakhtiari's play/healthy/attitude, I suspect Nijman is probably gone. I truly believe Tom is the future at one of the OT spots, and if that's the case I want to get him settled in immediately. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Interesting thought. I’m assuming Tom’s best position is at RT. Idk why maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my end. 

I can’t believe we took Myers right before Creed Humphrey lol. 

The Humphrey wound still hurts.  I wish I could LOL at it, but instead I want to cry.

I've thought that Tom's best position is LT.  Followed by Center.  Then RT and then the guard positions.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Any news out of camp regarding Brenton Cox? He is my free agent signing darling and have not heard a thing about him this camp. 

Nothing has been reported since the rookie mini-camp.  But there was positive stuff then.  It is rare that we get a lot of pass rush news before pads come on.  Like we have heard that Van Ness kind of cheap shot DeGuara, I think Enagbare got a decent couple of rushes, and TJ Slaton disrupted a play; but at this point, I don't think they are going all out on the lines and we should be pretty hesitant to take any conclusions from these practices so far.

7 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Nothing has been reported since the rookie mini-camp.  But there was positive stuff then.  It is rare that we get a lot of pass rush news before pads come on.  Like we have heard that Van Ness kind of cheap shot DeGuara, I think Enagbare got a decent couple of rushes, and TJ Slaton disrupted a play; but at this point, I don't think they are going all out on the lines and we should be pretty hesitant to take any conclusions from these practices so far.

I heard really good things about Wyatt and Sean Rhyan as well. You would think there might be more since the defense seems to be winning everyday against the offense. 

35 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Good stuff on Gary. Echoes how he's looked on the field during his rehab work. I'd bet he's practicing within the next 2 weeks. Assuming no setbacks, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet he plays Week 1. 

Really that's what you got from that blurb?

I simply saw this...he's a MOMMAS BOY!

😁

• Like 1

Tom at RT, Myers at C makes too much sense.  Runyan is worse than Myers not sure why people are trying to force a change there. 

IMO trade Bakh this season near the deadline if you can get a good haul.  His long term health is a huge concern - Bulaga years are here and we don't want Chargers Bulaga. 

Then you have a lot of future flexibility and you still have Nijman to finish out this year.  Use the Bak pick next draft to replace him or get another good OL and do a shuffle with Tom out at LT and Jenkins at RT and draft a guard.  Then you are set up for 3+ years.