2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Or ppl simply watched Texas A&M and Ohio St games in context and could see the clear difference in their abilities. The Draft day thread had ppl calling this out, myself included.  The only hindsight dynamic here is related to both players being selected back to back with McLaurin having found great success and Jace hanging onto a roster spot in the NFL by a thread.  

I’m certainly not holding it over Gute’s head tho as I had hoped that Jace would prove he was worth the selection. Obviously, none of us expected that McLaurin would take his game to quite the level in the NFL that he has. But many of us were never impressed with Jace as a TE bcuz we watched him play in college.

Gute absolutely made a poor choice between the 2 players but that’s neither here nor there at this point. If we had taken McLaurin, we wouldn’t haven’t Watson, Doubs and others. I like this young roster we have on offense so hindsight is irrelevant at this point. 

The Sternberger pick is on a very short list of guys I wanted at the exact spot we drafted them. I was STOKED about that pick. 

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

We all have misses. I was over the moon that we took Equanimeous.  I probably would have taken him earlier too.

There's always guys who fall in the draft, but ESB is one of relatively few I can remember us drafting outside of the first round. Carl Bradford sticks out in my mind as another. Then there's Colt Lyerla, but I don't know if he counts.

I always get excited about these guys, but I don't know if they ever work out.

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Anyone who uses the whole Terry McLaurin/Jace Sternberger over Gute's head is Captain Hindsight at it's finest.

Hey, I recently brought up that example.  But it was because someone was trying to say that they shouldn't have taken Gary.  I was like "that is not the 2019 pick you want to play monday morning QB about."

My top 5 favorite man crushes that fell to the Packers:

1. Jermichael Finley 

2. Bryan Bulaga

3. Datone Jones

4. Darnell Savage

5. Luke Musgrave

Not a lot of bad misses outside of Datone Jones who I thought would be a great pass rushing DE.... O well can't win them all. 

6 hours ago, Lodestar said:

There's always guys who fall in the draft, but ESB is one of relatively few I can remember us drafting outside of the first round. Carl Bradford sticks out in my mind as another. Then there's Colt Lyerla, but I don't know if he counts.

I always get excited about these guys, but I don't know if they ever work out.

Aaron Rodgers and Bryan Bulaga fell.  They worked out pretty well.  Of course, those weren't massive drops either.  Apparently Mel Kiper really loved Carrington Valentine, so we will see how he works out.  The way that Carl Bradford and EQ turned out though, I think they probably were drafted in the right spot.

4 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

My top 5 favorite man crushes that fell to the Packers:

1. Jermichael Finley 

2. Bryan Bulaga

3. Datone Jones

4. Darnell Savage

5. Luke Musgrave

Not a lot of bad misses outside of Datone Jones who I thought would be a great pass rushing DE.... O well can't win them all. 

EQ is definitely on my list.  But so are Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, and Zach Tom.  And there is a special place on the list for HaHa Clinton-Dix.  I thought that was the perfect fit for the Packers defense, but there was no way that he would fall all the way to our pick.  I remember trying to work out scenarios in which he could fall.  Then draft day comes, and we get him!  Wasn't all bad.  Wasn't the impact that I had thought though.  

• Like 1

I remember liking the Sternberger pick the year we made it. It was at a position of need and he was a very productive at Texas A&M. No one could have predicted McClaurin being this good. I don’t blame Gute for that.

I do wish he had drafted The Sun God instead of Amari Rodgers in 2020. I was much higher on ARSB than Rodgers. That’s a pick I wish Gute had made.

On 8/4/2023 at 4:54 PM, StatKing said:

Agree to disagree. Plenty of teams have young talent with potential, that doesn't mean those guys end up being any good. Give me proven guys to throw to any day of the week.

Then why is Landry, Jones and Hilton free agents?  They are very proven.  Maybe even throw Golladay in there, but he is not as proven as those others.  

I'd rather to NOT pay guys with on the decline and roll with rookies with superior athletic skills.

And I'd also rather roll with a vet or two (in their primes) while drafting those talented rookies over and over again.  Which is, I think, your thought process as well.

On 8/4/2023 at 5:02 PM, StatKing said:

Jerry Rice could have been available in his prime and we wouldn't have even considered signing him. Just not how our front office rolls. We are stuck in 1995.

We signed Reggie White.  Biggest free agent signing ever.  In Rice's prime, had he been available, and had we made a "short list" of his, we would have been interested.

Bad example on your part.  Pick someone who was elite when Rodgers was Elite and in his Prime and then you have your perfect example.  Because yes, Wolf would have gone after Rice.  

On 8/4/2023 at 9:01 PM, packfanfb said:

Meh, I think we're really solid at 4 out of 5. Runyan is a better RG than he gets credit for, especially as a pass blocker. The 4th guy will be Tom who will likely excel at either C or RT. 

That leaves Myers or Nijman as your 5th the guy and likely the worst of the 5-man group. But neither of them are weak players, moreso just inconsistent. 

No, Runyan isn't.  Runyan, I feel, is a tick below average for starting guards.  Myers is a likely two ticks below for an average guard.  I don't know what Tom can do at RT, but Nijman seems like an average RT, with room to grow and be better.

(Wish I had something to cite here beyond PFF for guard/center play.  But when looking at the scores, yeah, both come in below average for their positions.)

So I I feel like it is semantics here.  You view a couple players being average to a tick below as "solid".

And maybe you are right.  

I just know that solid is our left side.  And maybe that isn't being fair enough to Jenkins and Bakh.  Elite is probably a better word.

On 8/5/2023 at 10:24 PM, Jaire_Island said:

Offlate this group is missing some serious posters like Packerray, Cwood and Incog etc..

I was thinking this the other day.

No @incognito_man .  Hope he's okay.

To the mods?  Figured they were busy post draft with their "real" lives.  Thinking @Packerraymond 's kid is probably mobile right now, so I'll bet he's got a lot going on.

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I was thinking this the other day.

No @incognito_man .  Hope he's okay.

To the mods?  Figured they were busy post draft with their "real" lives.  Thinking @Packerraymond 's kid is probably mobile right now, so I'll bet he's got a lot going on.

That's a good call on @incognito_man. It has been extremely slow around here. I chalked that up to the off season. I hope to see more of the posters MIA and to your point, I hope they are all OK.

On the other side of thing. I did get to interact with some of the posters who I have had much interaction with in the past. 

Edited by Old Guy