IPP program: Kenneth Odumegwu

Sandy

45 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

This IPP program could really provide a huge benefit to the team that puts money towards scouting internationally. You see it in the NBA with a number of foreign all stars. 

It also helps develop the game internationally.  Say Odumegwu lasts 3 years in the league.  He has infinitely better experience than he had before, and most likely brings that to the next generation in Nigeria.  

51 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

This IPP program could really provide a huge benefit to the team that puts money towards scouting internationally. You see it in the NBA with a number of foreign all stars. 

I like the idea, but basketball is played much more widely than American football. Scouting internationally would probably be more focused on rugby players, which is different but obviously has similar athletic profiles. Scouting talent early and getting them to US universities would be the best bet to develop. It is an interesting program and I hope to see what comes out of it. 

2 hours ago, pgwingman said:

So how does the program work? Is he the 90th man on the roster for training camp, and a protected practice squad guy during the season?

Since our division has been selected this season, we get an extra 91st spot. 

He could make the roster, and if he gets cut at the end of TC any team can sign him. But if they don't we also get an extra practice squad spot for him.

• Like 1

The NFL has been doing this program for a while now and I don't think there has yet been a player from the program make a roster. It is good to have these types of grassroot programs, but doubtful any NFL level ready talent shows up any time soon. 

10 minutes ago, R T said:

The NFL has been doing this program for a while now and I don't think there has yet been a player from the program make a roster. It is good to have these types of grassroot programs, but doubtful any NFL level ready talent shows up any time soon. 

This is definitely a long game. It's also international marketing as much as anything.

It's still an interesting curiosity I suppose.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 11:29 AM, R T said:

37 international players have signed with NFL teams since the start of the program (allocated, drafted or signed as a free agent).  There are currently 13 IPP athletes on NFL rosters, with four of these on their team's active roster - Jordan Mailata (Australia - Philadelphia Eagles), Efe Obada (UK - Washington Commanders), Jakob Johnson (Germany - Las Vegas Raiders) and David Bada (Germany – Washington Commanders).

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

I came to say I love this guy, being ‘Merican, I love a good foreigner that appreciates our casa. And also, I want him to succeed, so that we can use this sound a la “Kuhn”

If I understood this guy correctly........he just recently lined up on a LOS.

Good that he's getting a shot at things......but unless he's overflowing with natural talents, he's apparently got a long, long way to go. Wish him the best.

1 hour ago, Kampfgeist said:

37 international players have signed with NFL teams since the start of the program (allocated, drafted or signed as a free agent).  There are currently 13 IPP athletes on NFL rosters, with four of these on their team's active roster - Jordan Mailata (Australia - Philadelphia Eagles), Efe Obada (UK - Washington Commanders), Jakob Johnson (Germany - Las Vegas Raiders) and David Bada (Germany – Washington Commanders).

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

• Like 1