Best Power Back of All-Time?

HerbertGOAT

10 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

AP most certainly ran through people, but he was so well-rounded as a runner that calling him a power back doesn't really suit him, moreso "can-do-literally-everything-from-breaking-your-ankles-to-putting-a-hole-in-your-chest back".

I just wish he could catch. He was bad with fumbling but it was part of his running style and his blocking was meh, but man I wish he could catch!

It's funny that, for as much as Okoye always comes up in threads like this (deservingly so), possibly the most memorable moment of his career was getting truck sticked by Steve Atwater.

Earl Campbell is the answer here I think. I always have to bring up Brandon Jacobs though. He was deceptively fast for his enormous size, but in his prime, he purposely sought players out to hit them early in the game. The play against Charles Woodson in the playoff game always comes to mind, as does the time he disrespected Laron Landry by trucking him and literally stepping on him. He obliterated Brian Urlacher. He was mean too, which I think adds to the power back label. He destroyed the play clock that one time in Dallas and openly tried to fight Rex Ryan after a game on more than one occasion.

• 2 weeks later...

Alstott is incredibly overrated IMO. He has a handful of highlights, but was by and large a 2 yard and a cloud of dust kinda guy. If he qualifies for this topic so should "The Fridge" and anyone else who was just asked to fall forward. There's some psychology at play here too. He was a white running back that looked cool in his pads, fans loved him for that. While in reality he was a very good FB, he just wasn't all that effective as a power back. Steven Jackson, Marshawn Lynch, Eddie George all modernish era RBs that played in a similar timeframe make choosing him kinda short sited  

Edited by h13r024
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, h13r024 said:

Alstott is incredibly overrated IMO. He has a handful of highlights, but was by and large a 2 yard and a cloud of dust kinda guy. If he qualifies for this topic so should "The Fridge" and anyone else who was just asked to fall forward. There's some psychology at play here too. He was a white running back that looked cool in his pads, fans loved him for that. While in reality he was a very good FB, he just wasn't all that effective as a power back. Steven Jackson, Marshawn Lynch, Eddie George all modernish era RBs that played in a similar timeframe make choosing him kinda short sited  

In Alstotts defense, he was in a time share with Warrock Dunn during his prime years so he didn't really get true bellcow volume. 

But overall I'm in agreement with you

• Like 2

Nick Chubb isn't a power back, he is strong and takes people for a ride. 

Power backs imo are the guys that explode in and through guys. 

Earl Campbell is the greatest imo the most violent runner I have seen. 

Okoye had a short burst of greatness. 

Jim Brown had power but was the complete package. 

Walter Petton broke tackles at a phenomenal rate.