What Makes Your Franchise Unique?

BetterCallSaul

5 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Ravens:

The entire franchise has been shaped by the vision of one man, Ozzie Newsome.

Bill Belichick?

5 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Consistently good to great defense for the past 24 years (only down years due to extensive injuries)  

Pittsburgh? New England?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

We were dumb enough to hire not only Lane Kiffin as HC, but a little over 10 years later gave Dumbass McDaniels a 3rd chance. 

Gotta be the dumbest of the franchises. 

I mean with a first name being 'Dumbass', you guys really should have known.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Bill Belichick?

Pats existed long before Belichick arrived. They made the Super Bowl in the 1970s and the 1990s. Ravens first draft was shaped by Ozzie drafting Ray Lewis and Jon Ogden in 1996.

Pittsburgh? New England?

By the mid-2010s Pittsburgh was an offensive team with a mediocre D.

The Pats had some pretty weak defenses from 2008-2017. 

The Ravens have been a defensive-oriented team since 1999 and have put up good to great defenses every years aside from injury decimation (2015, 2021, 2012 if counting the regular season only).

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

We were dumb enough to hire not only Lane Kiffin as HC, but a little over 10 years later gave Dumbass McDaniels a 3rd chance. 

Gotta be the dumbest of the franchises. 

and gave up 100 millions to a head coach who had not coach a single game for 10 years!(Gruden)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

Pats existed long before Belichick arrived. They made the Super Bowl in the 1970s and the 1990s. Ravens first draft was shaped by Ozzie drafting Ray Lewis and Jon Ogden in 1996.

By the mid-2010s Pittsburgh was an offensive team with a mediocre D.

The Pats had some pretty weak defenses from 2008-2017. 

The Ravens have been a defensive-oriented team since 1999 and have put up good to great defenses every years aside from injury decimation (2015, 2021, 2012 if counting the regular season only).

I suppose those are fair points. 

Founded in 1925 and won our first championship in 1927.

Won the Sneakers Game in 1934.

Lost the Greatest Game Ever Played in 1958.

Had the greatest OC/DC tandem in history (Lombardi and Landry).

Infamously spent 18 years on a 5-year rebuilding plan.

Drafted Lawrence Taylor.

Won four Super Bowls.

Hopefully more to come.

On 6/29/2023 at 8:48 AM, Sugashane said:

Bear are unique because they have never had a 4000 yard passer or a QB throw for 30 TDs in a single season.

Some observations about Chicago and Chicago area.

Very few Chicago area people have the classic 'Chicago' accent you see being imitated all time by comedians.   That is more unique to 3rd generation people in certain parts of city.  They do have a midwestern accent.  Though it doesn't sound same as WI and farther north.   

Chicago is The City.   The Lake is lake Michigan.  

Before GPS it was also really easy to find your way around once you learn that city streets are a grid.

Parking in winter is insane in city as they take away about half the spots.  

The city is really a nice place to be in summer.  Kinda sucks in winter.  

(This is outside city).  A tornado siren for guys means go outside and look at the storm.   Maybe film it in age of cell phones.

Everybody thinks they are a master griller, but almost no one really is.

Nobody in Chicago stops all the way at 4 way stops.  But police in burbs are still Richards about it.

We literally have all types of weather from 100+ to -20.

People will not physically fight you for rooting for another team.  Or it would be really rare.  Maybe that has changed.  I don't go to games much anymore.   Brings me to my next point, going to Soldier Field kinda sucks.   

Nobody really loves deep dish pizza all that much like advertised.   They like it.  But it isn't ordered all that much.   But the (thick) thin crust tavern style pizza is as good as anywhere I have been in U.S.   

There really isn't a dimes bit a difference in attitude and values from a rural Illinois person from a southern person, but people in south (I travel south a lot) assume all of Illinois is extremely left wing in culture, values, etc.

People wrongly assume Chicago is a lot more dangerous than it is.  (Some parts are dangerous and it is generally getting worse, but so are all big cities of late.  Chicago is not that special in that regard).

There is always road construction in summer.  And there are still always pot holes regardless.  

Everyone outside Chicago goes through their garage to get into and out of their house.  The front door is rarely used.

People still hold doors for women and smile when they pass each other walking.   

All I got for now.

• Like 2

Packers.

All about history.

Dominated the early NFL, enough so to get the SB trophy named after the iconic head coach.

That is what defines GB.  

Course, we had that long, long drought, then turned it around with Wolf/Favre/Holmgren/White.  Continued with Thompson/Rodgers.   Now it's the Gute/MLF era and we shall see.

But, the city is all about the Packers.   The state is all about the Packers.  Casual residents of the state know the franchise players and the current roster.  Everyone can talk Packers.

I was at McDonalds yesterday, enjoying some nuggets and there was a group of 6 older, retired men.  All sitting around talking about Favre, Rodgers and now Love.  

The Packers in Wisconsin and especially GB is not a sports team, it is a culture.

• Like 1

An undefeated season

Back to back SB wins

A QB during his playing days who could've legitimately claimed to be the GOAT

Unprecedented regular season success. From 1970 to 2003 (34 seasons) Miami had only 2 losing seasons. Since the merger Miami had the highest regular season win % by a decent margin for a long time.

An interesting locale

• Like 1