What Makes Your Franchise Unique?

BetterCallSaul

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The real value of this is that the team can never be moved, which means it can't hold the city hostage for some over the top taxpayer funded stadium. I'll make fun of the certificates, but this makes a real difference and is the best reason to be a Packer fan IMO.

It's not a unique thing to the Green Bay Packers though, the German soccer league has an even more stringent rule that all teams need to be majority fan-controlled: https://www.bundesliga.com/en/faq/what-are-the-rules-and-regulations-of-soccer/50-1-fifty-plus-one-german-football-soccer-rule-explained-ownership-22832

We really should steal that idea.

I didn't know about German soccer league.  I learn something new every day.

3 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

In this same vein, I think it's notable how snake bitten the Chiefs were in the playoffs before Mahomes. They were basically a more successful version of the Browns for years, and then as you said......bam.

Oh definitely. It's crazy the difference this has made to my experience as a fan, too. We didn't win a playoff game from when I turned 2, to when I graduated college. And there were some spectacularly tragic losses in there. Even Andy Reid arriving didn't solve it immediately. 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018 were all just atrocious losses. One Chiefs fan here was adamant that Andy Reid was just broken and we needed to move on, I just felt it was more of the same for the franchise, honestly. At least Reid was winning in the regular season. But I had that feeling in my gut that we could find a way to lose any important game until it was truly over. Up 38-10? We can lose that. 6 minutes left, down by 1 point? We may as well go home. Need a field goal to tie it up? We'll shank three of them. Every game was losable, the more important, the more losable.

Now, every game is aggressively winnable. I would have said as long as we have a healthy Patrick Mahomes, every game is winnable, but I've now seen Chad Henne lead game winning drives, I've seen Mahomes win while limping. So now it feels like we're literally never out of a game, we never aren't a superbowl contender, and it's...weird. As a Chief fan for the past 20 to 30 years, it still feels kind of wrong. Like, Mahomes was clearly destined to be the Steelers heir to Big Ben or something, and there was a glitch in the matrix and he wound up here somehow. I keep telling my wife not to get too used to it. She became a fan in 2018 when we got together. She only knows Mahomes.

• Like 3

With the Rams I think our offensive prowess is unique.

1999-2001 we had three consecutive MVPs, and three consecutive 500 point seasons.

For reference last season NO team scored over 500 points....which was obviously a 17 game season.

Kupp's offensive season was historic in 2021 and we randomly still hold the single game passing record from the 1950s.

Dickerson still holds the single season rushing record....which even in 17 game seasons, feels pretty unbreakable given how teams approach the running game these days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The real value of this is that the team can never be moved, which means it can't hold the city hostage for some over the top taxpayer funded stadium. I'll make fun of the certificates, but this makes a real difference and is the best reason to be a Packer fan IMO.

It's not a unique thing to the Green Bay Packers though, the German soccer league has an even more stringent rule that all teams need to be majority fan-controlled: https://www.bundesliga.com/en/faq/what-are-the-rules-and-regulations-of-soccer/50-1-fifty-plus-one-german-football-soccer-rule-explained-ownership-22832

We really should steal that idea.

The league won't allow it again.  Only the Packers are grandfathered in.  I don't know why though.  After Art Modell moved the Browns, there were representatives from Cleveland trying to do the same thing for the "new" Browns, so they could never leave again, but the NFL didn't allow it.  I have no doubt that the Cleveland fans could have ponied up enough money in 1997(?), at a couple hundred dollars a pop, to be an owner of the Browns.  

I am pretty sure that the Packers could move.  But the money for the sale of the team goes to some VFW post in Green Bay, or something like that.

As for the shares, I gladly purchased my $300 piece of paper a few years ago.  It is a way to directly support my home town team, despite no longer living there.  I already pay taxes on Kroenke's abandoned stadium, why not support the team that I actually cheer for?

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 8:48 AM, Sugashane said:

Bear are unique because they have never had a 4000 yard passer or a QB throw for 30 TDs in a single season.

Didn't Erik Kramer throw for 30+ in 94 or 95?  That year where the Central was a fricking Juggernaut.  

[edit] nope, it was 1995 and he had 29 TDs.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KramEr00.htm

Edited by ThatJerkDave
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The league won't allow it again.  Only the Packers are grandfathered in.  I don't know why though.  After Art Modell moved the Browns, there were representatives from Cleveland trying to do the same thing for the "new" Browns, so they could never leave again, but the NFL didn't allow it.  I have no doubt that the Cleveland fans could have ponied up enough money in 1997(?), at a couple hundred dollars a pop, to be an owner of the Browns.  

I am pretty sure that the Packers could move.  But the money for the sale of the team goes to some VFW post in Green Bay, or something like that.

As for the shares, I gladly purchased my $300 piece of paper a few years ago.  It is a way to directly support my home town team, despite no longer living there.  I already pay taxes on Kroenke's abandoned stadium, why not support the team that I actually cheer for?

Of course the NFL wouldn't, then teams couldn't screw over they city they live in every 20-30 years for a shiny new stadium. The way to regulate it would be to make it a political issue, and then have Congress pass a law that any sports team eligible for an anti-trust exemption would need to be fan-controlled.

And technically yes, I think the Packers could move, but they would need approval of the majority of shares. So 50.1% of Packer fans.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Of course the NFL wouldn't, then teams couldn't screw over they city they live in every 20-30 years for a shiny new stadium.

⬆️ ⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

People... maybe maybe not, hard to say but as far as fans, absolutely. One group fought hard enough to get something and the other didn't, they just waited and did the same thing that happened to them to someone else. 

I think your grasp of how urban politics changed from the early 1980s to the late 1990s is in need of refinement. If you think the main reason Cleveland got to keep its franchise is because its fans are awesome and not due socio-economics, politics, and NFL ownership greed, I can't help you. Keep patting yourself on the back, though, you must be so proud of your accomplishment. 

No respect for that at all.

No one cares about your opinion enough to want to earn your respect. Have fun rooting for Deshaun Watson and doling out judgment of who deserves respect.  

On top of that they defended it, talked about how "lucky" Cleveland fans were and gave themselves some sort of entitlement so that they can talk down to other fanbases while being the most sensitive fans in the league when anyone critiques any of their players.

"I took your dog but you can have this ant I found on the ground, consider yourself lucky"

Ah, I see you like to make generalizations about groups of people based on how individuals from those groups act. Another sign of a truly enlightened thinker.

2 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Keep patting yourself on the back

I was no part of it. I lived in another area of Ohio. I just have respect for those that fought the fight.

No one cares about your opinion enough to want to earn your respect. Have fun rooting for Deshaun Watson and doling out judgment of who deserves respect.  

I haven't watched a Browns game since they traded for Watson. I certainly don't support their decision to acquire him giving what was going on and I don't support Watson and hope that he suddenly retires and I never have to worry about him again and then I can go back to watching and supporting a team I can be somewhat proud of.

Ah, I see you like to make generalizations about groups of people based on how individuals from those groups act. Another sign of a truly enlightened thinker.

Fans represent fan bases. It's pretty simple. If you don't like that your loudest fans are representing you in a certain way make them the minority. I would find someone else to head that up though. The Browns fans aren't what they once were, we used to at least have a claim to be the best, even with our battery throwing flaws. Now we are much whinier, but at least we have mike out there representing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

I think your grasp of how urban politics changed from the early 1980s to the late 1990s is in need of refinement. If you think the main reason Cleveland got to keep its franchise is because its fans are awesome and not due socio-economics, politics, and NFL ownership greed, I can't help you

You’re clueless despite having been shown literal lawsuit articles that Cleveland won. 

• Like 1