2023 Packer Cut tracker

Old Guy

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Dang, should have listed O'Donnell as my surprise cut.  Thought for sure he would be kept for his superior holding on FG's to give Anders all the help he can get.

Looks like Rich might have lost the first battle. 

6 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Dang, should have listed O'Donnell as my surprise cut.  Thought for sure he would be kept for his superior holding on FG's to give Anders all the help he can get.

This was a surprise to me. Tracking the missed FG's, we find that the vast majority of misses came with Whelan as the holder. Is a couple of yards of punting really worth missing FG's?

They tend to go through this cutdown process by position groups starting with the special teams, is a decision on the long snapper next?

Edited by R T
  • Like 1

Just now, R T said:

This was a surprise to me. Tracking the missed FG's, we find that the vast majority of misses came with Whelan as the holder. Is a couple of yards of punting really worth missing FG's?

No! My guess it they are betting on him being able to get better to good at holding. Whereas O'Donnell isn't going to suddenly kick if further at this point in his career. 

They better be right on his holding getting better because it could cost us a game. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, R T said:

They tend to go through this cutdown process by position groups starting with the special teams, is a decision on the long snapper next?

Seems like a very foolish move IMO. I had basically written Whelan off completely because my understanding is that Carlson had been WAY better overall with O'Donnell as the holder. 

Head scratcher for me. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I strongly suspect that the holding disparity is not as large as it would seem. 

It seems very likely that with a large enough sample size, things would normalize out. 

Or this is simply Gute's genius move to prevent people from blaming his draft pick Carlson when he misses a big one in the regular season...."see, it was Whelan's fault for not holding it correctly." 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Seems like a very foolish move IMO. I had basically written Whelan off completely because my understanding is that Carlson had been WAY better overall with O'Donnell as the holder. 

Head scratcher for me. 

It was only 2 years ago they made to decision to go with the big legged guy who sucked at holding with Bojorquez and it was a disaster. By the end of the season, they couldn't wait to move on from him. Hopefully this isn't a repeat of history. 

• Like 3