2023 Packer Cut tracker

Old Guy

31 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

They save something like 1.1-1.2 mil cap space on the punter correct?

17 minutes ago, Striker said:

Yeah, they take on 1.1M in dead money and 1.25M in savings.

Incorrect! You need to subtract Whelen's cap number from that to get our real savings. Which I'm sure is the minimum. 

18 minutes ago, craig said:
  1. Per Spotrac, Pat's dead cap is $475 and his cap hit would have been $2,375. 
  2. So, save $1.9 on him; spend $0.75 of that towards Whelan instead. 
  3. Saves ~$1.15.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/pat-odonnell-14602/

According to Spotrac the Packers are currently the 2nd youngest team in the league at just a smidge over 25 years of age.  The Rams are the youngest.

2 minutes ago, Ham Sammich said:

Let's be real. He's the Assistant GM. It's the only way guys like Tyler Davis and Patrick Taylor become core team pieces. 

I mean, kinda. Most ST coaches are given X number of roster spots with which to make their roster. 

The Packers held out on doing this for the longest time. With the hiring of Bisaccia they appear to have relented on that policy. 

21 minutes ago, craig said:
  1. Per Spotrac, Pat's dead cap is $475 and his cap hit would have been $2,375. 
  2. So, save $1.9 on him; spend $0.75 of that towards Whelan instead. 
  3. Saves ~$1.15.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/pat-odonnell-14602/

That's what I worked through when I made my original post.  Packerswire has different #'s and has as at 450k savings

• Like 1

1. That Bjorquez was a bad holder doesn't mean that every young punter is and will always be a bad holder.  That some failed FG are caused by bad holds doesn't mean all are. 
  2. All else equal save the $1.1.  All else equal, keep the younger guy.  All else equal, keep the stronger leg. 
  3. It's a rebuild year: *IF* there's a kick that fails on account of a bad hold, who cares? 
  4. ST guy had input for sure, so he probably didn't think Whelan's holding is terrible or non-fixable.  Coach that up and be ready for next year.  
Edited by craig
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, R T said:

This was a surprise to me. Tracking the missed FG's, we find that the vast majority of misses came with Whelan as the holder. Is a couple of yards of punting really worth missing FG's?

They tend to go through this cutdown process by position groups starting with the special teams, is a decision on the long snapper next?

Cap saving ✂️