GDT Week 1: Packers at Baers

mikebpackfan

9 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Yes. I also saw his team get completely dismantled at Lambeau with a win and your in playoffs on the line in the last game of the season against Detroit.   

Is this the coaching Nagler is talking about?

I remember both sides.  I also remember his record coming out of a bye which has not been up to par. He down plays that this year it will be the "LaFleur Offense" vs. the "Rodgers Offense" but there will be some level of truth to that.  12 was given, rightfully, more leeway to change things up.  The young QB will be on script much more.  Of course, if it's a good script, he has a few options built into the play but I believe we will not be looking for long developing plays and yes, the middle of the field should be open for business.  A big year for the current regime to show they can move on from the HOFer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Yes. I also saw his team get completely dismantled at Lambeau with a win and your in playoffs on the line in the last game of the season against Detroit.   

Is this the coaching Nagler is talking about?

Just because he has been beat before dosent mean he hasn’t had some impressive coaching performances too

We seem unusually thin-skinned about the typical casual attitude of "this team is NOTHING without AR!", which has probably been said ad nauseam for, what, five years at least? You knew this was coming, you knew deep down that all other factors behind a good team wouldn't be truly put to the test from the perspective of the mainstream until he was once and for all gone.

52 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Sure did, saw the #1 seed home playoff losses too.  I'm hoping for the best for him in the new era.

You mean the ones where he lost to the GOAT by 5 and the other where his defense gave up 10 points? Those home playoff losses? The ones that have been rehashed a million times over as to why we lost already? Those games? 

MLF is a legitimate HC and the current group fits his profile much better than trying to coddle an aging star and his ego. Last year was a total cluster**** and I'm not putting that solely on MLF. We saw a disconnect between him and 12 on a multitude of occasions so it's insanely hard to judge him on last year. 

But you're the guru. What do I know? 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

You mean the ones where he lost to the GOAT by 5 and the other where his defense gave up 10 points? Those home playoff losses? The ones that have been rehashed a million times over as to why we lost already? Those games? 

MLF is a legitimate HC and the current group fits his profile much better than trying to coddle an aging star and his ego. Last year was a total cluster**** and I'm not putting that solely on MLF. We saw a disconnect between him and 12 on a multitude of occasions so it's insanely hard to judge him on last year. 

But you're the guru. What do I know? 

I got no issue with the Packers moving on from Rodgers.  It was the right move for them.  We'll see on MLF and Love.  

It was Nagler that started all this by his indignation at the temerity of fans to question MLF as a coach, with cherry-picked games as sole evidence of MLF already having arrived at some undisputed level of excellence.

Success has a thousand fathers while failure is always an orphan, goes the old saying. In truth, we make a vigorous sport of filing paternity suits against our recent playoff failures and last year’s absence from them. I don’t think MLF is at the top of my list as to why we failed to do better, but he’s on the list.

For all his gaudy W/L as a new head coach, and for the general sense that MLF is a very competent head coach, his ascent into excellence is not yet made. I doubt it’s made this year either. I resented Nagler’s suggestion that MLF has nothing to prove to us.

Of course he does. And I hope he succeeds at it.

Geez you guys. 

Edited by Uffdaswede
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Sure did, saw the #1 seed home playoff losses too.  I'm hoping for the best for him in the new era.

Okay, so they didn’t win the SB. That doesn’t make him a bad coach. A lot needs to go right at the same time.

Andy Reid didn’t win his first until his 21st year. 

On 9/7/2023 at 4:16 PM, Mr. Fussnputz said:

OK, so who else doesn't need to practice? Why are the Packers wasting their time and exposing them to injuries while practicing? Campbell? Jenkins? Jones? Alexander? Runyan? 

Who else can play at an All-Pro level without practicing? There is you answer.

On 9/8/2023 at 4:35 AM, OneTwoSixFive said:

I don't think any of that first sentence is more than an assumption (if you have a link to some recent info here, please link it). Other Packer veterans on the team have routinely missed practices just because they are veterans (though there are precious few vets left on the team as it is now).

One thing I am sure of, is that guys who maintain the strength and weight to play OT, once they hit their 30s their body begins to break down to some degree. Also, recovery time from workouts is slower as you age. Therefore the coaches give them a lighter load so as not to put more wear and tear on them than necessary. I believe Bakhtiari COULD practice, but (along with the coaches) is being smart about how much strain he puts on himself. I imagine he is still working in the weight room (though maybe not doing the same as he did in his 20s) and he will still be maintaining a large food intake, to keep his size and strength.

I don't even know if the knee is an issue at this time. For all I know the knee is fine now, even though it took a long time to recover. It may be it still needs managing, getting fluid drained.................or maybe not, I haven't seen or heard anything about this, in this training camp.

As for the number of tackles this year, at least a part of that is that Tom, Nijman and it seems Walker, could all be considered as starting tackles (on some team, if not the Packers as they are now). The PS guys are just potential development guys. So while a part of the decision to keep many tackles IS to have a backup for Bakhtiari, part of the equation is also just about keeping the most talented guys on the roster.

A few posts back I did surmise that the knee was the cause of Bakh’s practice issues. Your point is persuasive that his knee may be fine and he is simply able adjust his workload down because of his veteran status.

I’m okay with that.

Some athletes have to practice to keep muscle memory in the groove. They initiate the action. Other athletes must react instinctively to rapidly changing events. The former does require practice, the latter not so much. For Bakh, mental reps are probably good enough to prepare him for a game. 

Edited by Uffdaswede