GDT Week 1: Packers at Baers

mikebpackfan

5 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

As long as he is good to go for the games, I don't really care.  This also gets more practice reps for Nijman, Tom, Walker, and Jones.  

That’s just it. If he can only take that light a load in practice, I’m skeptical he holds up the season. Sounds like he’s only practicing 1 out of every 3 practices. Is his knee that bad that he needs that much rest for it?

I with those who think the practice for Bakh is a non-issue. 

If he's not feeling good, he won't practice.

If he is feeling good, he's still not going to practice.

Remember, he got hurt in a practice. There's unnecessary risk in him practicing anymore.

Like both sides have been saying this entire time, he knows his body and he's a professional. He'll be ready when he's healthy and not play if he's not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

What does practice accomplish for Bakh? Is Gary running at him full speed like the Bears will be Sunday?

Let's be honest, NFL game week practice is 75% mental, you can take the same rep on the sideline or in the meeting room.

The point I'm trying to make is that Bahk isn't practicing because he doesn't have to; he isn't practicing because he can't practice. His knee is that bad. IIRC he missed some games last year because of it. Maybe that's why there are so many tackles on the roster this year? 

Yeah, mental reps help, but eventually physical skills erode without physical repetition (practice). That's just how the body works. Whether it's balancing a ball on your nose, or playing left tackle, to get get your best performance, you have to practice. Yeah, you can still do it without practicing, but at a reduced level of performance. Granted, Bahk is starting at a very high level, so a reduction in performance lost to not practicing will still make him better than  a lot of other left tackles (maybe that's what you mean when you say he doesn't have to practice?), but still not as good as he would be if his knee were well enough to allow physical practice. Over enough time the performance drop off will become noticeable. My guess is he'll retire then. 

Another thing that worries me is the wear and tear of a 17 game season. Even without practicing, that's a lot of high impact reps. I'm predicting (and I hope I'm wrong) he misses some games by the end of the season. Walker had better be ready. 

Truly I feel bad for the guy. He seems like a very likable and classy person. Most guys recover well from ACL surgery these days, but he drew the short straw. Unfortunately, sometimes bad things happen to good people. I hope he has a great season! I'll be routing for him! 

C’mon…Bakh has had a couple of scopes to clean out that knee. There’s not much cartilage left. It swells after hard use.

game

knee swelling

rest

swelling goes down

game

repeat…

He plays fine when the knee is right.  I’m willing to accept his rest schedule if the team is—all the way through the final years of his career or just up until the big trade. 

Edited by Uffdaswede
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

The point I'm trying to make is that Bahk isn't practicing because he doesn't have to; he isn't practicing because he can't practice. His knee is that bad. IIRC he missed some games last year because of it. Maybe that's why there are so many tackles on the roster this year? 

Yeah, mental reps help, but eventually physical skills erode without physical repetition (practice). That's just how the body works. Whether it's balancing a ball on your nose, or playing left tackle, to get get your best performance, you have to practice. Yeah, you can still do it without practicing, but at a reduced level of performance. Granted, Bahk is starting at a very high level, so a reduction in performance lost to not practicing will still make him better than  a lot of other left tackles (maybe that's what you mean when you say he doesn't have to practice?), but still not as good as he would be if his knee were well enough to allow physical practice. Over enough time the performance drop off will become noticeable. My guess is he'll retire then. 

Another thing that worries me is the wear and tear of a 17 game season. Even without practicing, that's a lot of high impact reps. I'm predicting (and I hope I'm wrong) he misses some games by the end of the season. Walker had better be ready. 

Truly I feel bad for the guy. He seems like a very likable and classy person. Most guys recover well from ACL surgery these days, but he drew the short straw. Unfortunately, sometimes bad things happen to good people. I hope he has a great season! I'll be routing for him! 

I don't think there's a reason to mistrust the staff until there's a reason. Don't think they'd keep him off IR or PUP of he couldn't go. Don't think they'd be optimistic about having a plan in place for him unless they have some semblance of a plan. Wait til around the trade deadline to formulate the bakh panic button. 

8 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I don't think any of that first sentence is more than an assumption (if you have a link to some recent info here, please link it). Other Packer veterans on the team have routinely missed practices just because they are veterans (though there are precious few vets left on the team as it is now).

One thing I am sure of, is that guys who maintain the strength and weight to play OT, once they hit their 30s their body begins to break down to some degree. Also, recovery time from workouts is slower as you age. Therefore the coaches give them a lighter load so as not to put more wear and tear on them than necessary. I believe Bakhtiari COULD practice, but (along with the coaches) is being smart about how much strain he puts on himself. I imagine he is still working in the weight room (though maybe not doing the same as he did in his 20s) and he will still be maintaining a large food intake, to keep his size and strength.

I don't even know if the knee is an issue at this time. For all I know the knee is fine now, even though it took a long time to recover. It may be it still needs managing, getting fluid drained.................or maybe not, I haven't seen or heard anything about this, in this training camp.

As for the number of tackles this year, at least a part of that is that Tom, Nijman and it seems Walker, could all be considered as starting tackles (on some team, if not the Packers as they are now). The PS guys are just potential development guys. So while a part of the decision to keep many tackles IS to have a backup for Bakhtiari, part of the equation is also just about keeping the most talented guys on the roster.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

As always, time will tell.  Maybe he never practices because he's had a setback?  Maybe he isn't feeling or recovering as well as they'd hoped?  We don't know yet. Maybe he plays every Sunday and plays well, and confirms that his practice rhythms do NOT reflect any worsening problems, so that as weeks roll and he's always a DNP, it will spark no questions or concerns.  

But right now we just don't really know.  The next couple of Sundays will give us more info.  

4 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

alright I'm curious,

are you going with the literal approach in that Bakh is not in the hall of fame as of today, or do you think he won't be in the hall at some point?

He is literally not a hall of famer right now, AND I don't think he will make the hall of fame. Just the hall of very very good.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, malak1 said:

He is literally not a hall of famer right now, AND I don't think he will make the hall of fame. Just the hall of very very good.  

fair enough, I'd say it depends on if he can have another all-pro year or two but the knee could also have him retiring next year.  

• Like 1