September 11th

Ty21

Mournful day. The Day That Changed America. 

Where were you on September 11, 2001?

It’s one of the few days in American history that’s permanently implanted in everyone’s memory. i was in 3rd grade. My school didn’t say anything had happened, just sent the kids home. My dad picked me up in his green Chevy truck he had for so long and told me. It didn’t resonate with me then what it truly meant. He also said football practice later was cancelled, and I pictured planes crashing into my practice field because I’m an imbecile. 

I was leaving my house in getting ready to head to a class when the first hit. After I drove to campus, parked my car, and walked by the student union, they had TVs outside as the second hit. Classes were canceled a few minutes after I sat down and then I headed back home to watch everything unfold. Hope I never have to witness anything like this ever again.

• Like 2

I was sleeping. I  was  hungover a bit from the night before, had fallen asleep on the couch and woke up with a spoon stuck to me. I do not remember what I had eaten in my drunken stupor. My friend Mike called me to tell me about it and then I followed along on the news.   It was about 3 weeks before my 20th birthday. 

• Like 1

i was hired that afternoon into the management of a large construction company, they built hotels and shopping malls on the west coast. they told me i'd start the next week.

the next morning they called me, told me they had already lost $44 million in prospective contracts their clients decided to withdraw from, and had to lay off staff.

who was the first guy to go? the one they hired the day before.

• Like 1

Junior high. An evil harpy of a teacher put the news on the old box TV that was mounted on the wall. Principal talked over the intercom to explain what was going on and that we could call our parents if we wanted. Classes were stalled since no classes actually occurred, parents could come get kids but they could go basically anywhere inside the building. It was just a really weird and quiet day. We all just hung out with our friends but no one really joked much. 

9th grade gym class. We were in the stairwell doing attendance when the loudspeaker came on and our principal told us what happened. Classes went on for the day but nobody really did anything. Went home and found my mom still home from work. She didn't go in because she saw the 2nd plane hit live on TV and freaked out. Rest of my HS days were basically filled with war talk and who all was joining the military out of HS. I tried to get into the Air Force but the wait list was ridiculous and I ended up going to college instead. 

• Like 1

Think I was a... Sophomore in College? Was walking from the parking lot to campus at the University of Houston and a guy rushed passed me saying "a plane just hit the World Trade Center..."

I initially thought it was some sort of accident, like a pilot lost control of the plane or something. I went to the library to check my email and see if I could check out what happened, and I couldn't access the internet (connections were slow back then, so I didn't think much of it). Crowds started to form and people started talking and crying - that's when I sort of knew something was up.

By the time I got to the UC, my usual group of friends were talking, something wasn't right. A school admin came out and announced that they'd be setting up TVs to watch the news as it was going on - we then sat there for what seemed like all day, watching everything. Professors were encouraged to cancel class and people started going home - it was surreal, everyone was speculating what was going on... and that's when the evil eyes started making their way towards the group of South Asian kids, including me.

It was just a weird and scary day. Both what happened obviously, but the feeling of judgement coming from everyone around us...

• Like 3

At work....watching CNN on my computer. Remember a weird WTF / something's not right feeling about things....which was confirmed when the second plane appeared. Many people died in both the attack and the subsequent rescue attempts....but to this day the act that gets me in the pit of the stomach is seeing the people jumping. The hopelessness and fear they must have suffered.............unimaginable.

• Like 1

I was a Freshman in college.  I got to math class and people were freaking out. The professor told us to huddle up and we turned on the news and didn't do any lecture that day. An hour or two later they cancelled all classes and sent us home. I remember driving over to my GFs house and we were just glued to the TV in disbelief. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

it was surreal, everyone was speculating what was going on... and that's when the evil eyes started making their way towards the group of South Asian kids, including me.

It was just a weird and scary day. Both what happened obviously, but the feeling of judgement coming from everyone around us...

That’s horrible. I was curious if you personally had a bad go of it and how bad the racism was so far from NYC (I’ve seen accounts of it from New Yorkers). 

• Like 1