Week 4 embarrassment thread: Broncos (0-3) @ Bears (0-3)

Ty21

32 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

As opposed to 0-17?

It means they tasted at least some success.  Confidence and success breeds success and failure brings more failure.  There is a psychology to it.

Success comes primarily from talent and more talent comes from losing in NFL draft system, but there is a balance to it.   It is sometimes necessary, but tough to do it two years in a row.

Just like a super bowl team begets too many overpaid players, an overly losing team loses too many serviceable or good players caught up in bad circumstances.

I guess it depends on if we need a new QB.   If you need a new QB then I suppose you need us to be last place or hope Carolina is.   I think Fields is sufficiently talented that he can be a franchise QB in this league.   I have not left that opinion yet.   

Just because you tank doesn't mean you need to finish 0-17. You can finish 2-15 or 3-14.

Literally one person might have picked the Baers with a winning record and might have had them in the playoffs, but that can't be verified because they didin't post records. So despite what one poster says, almost no one said the Baers were a playoff team. All while showing that the Baers have been absolute trash for ever but they want they to keep on going because another year of what we have seen for two years isn't enough yet.

To be fair to the offseason predictions, there was plenty of reason for optimism before the preseason games. 

1. We have (on paper) the second easiest schedule in the league this year

2. We where decently competive in a number of games last year, despite being in an obvious "tear down"... It wouldn't be unreasonable to assume even half of those would swing our way this year

3 we also apparently had figured out a recipe for success really emphasizing the running game, and using fields as a runner. The expectation was building off that level

4. We made massive investment into the defensive line via FAs and draft picks

5. We did actually upgrade the offensive line as well. 

6. The perennial division leader was a ship with no captain, since he left for the jets. 

Those things together really all made a very logical case for a good, maybe even playoff season. 

Unfortunately those situations also all went to the nightmare scenario

1. Many of the teams that we thought were going to be bad have been pretty decent. They improved more than expected. 

2. We haven't been remotely competive in any of our losses this year, yet. We regressed when we expected improvements. 

3. Our gamelan is completely different from what did work last year. We barely run the ball, barely run fields, and nearly exclusively operate from shotgun

4. We invested into the dl and linebackers and the unit actually feels much worse as a whole. 

5. We upgraded right tackle, but are living with rookie growing pains still. Meanwhile the interior completely collapsed. 

6. The packers dunked on us even harder than when they had Rodgers. Meanwhile Detroit looks improved, and Minnesota has the passing leader, receiving leader, and sack leader, despite being 0-3....

Tldr, the offseason optimism wasn't unwarranted... We just managed to regress across the board instead of having even minor improvements, while everyone else seems to be doing better than expected. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Epyon said:

To be fair to the offseason predictions, there was plenty of reason for optimism before the preseason games. 

2. We where decently competive in a number of games last year, despite being in an obvious "tear down"... It wouldn't be unreasonable to assume even half of those would swing our way this year

3 we also apparently had figured out a recipe for success really emphasizing the running game, and using fields as a runner. The expectation was building off that level

6. The perennial division leader was a ship with no captain, since he left for the jets. 

Those things together really all made a very logical case for a good, maybe even playoff season. 

1. Many of the teams that we thought were going to be bad have been pretty decent. They improved more than expected. 

2. We haven't been remotely competive in any of our losses this year, yet. We regressed when we expected improvements. 

3. Our gamelan is completely different from what did work last year. We barely run the ball, barely run fields, and nearly exclusively operate from shotgun

4. We invested into the dl and linebackers and the unit actually feels much worse as a whole. 

5. We upgraded right tackle, but are living with rookie growing pains still. Meanwhile the interior completely collapsed. 

6. The packers dunked on us even harder than when they had Rodgers. Meanwhile Detroit looks improved, and Minnesota has the passing leader, receiving leader, and sack leader, despite being 0-3....

Tldr, the offseason optimism wasn't unwarranted... We just managed to regress across the board instead of having even minor improvements, while everyone else seems to be doing better than expected. 

I wouldn't say a pure pass rusher, a medicore yet versatile veteran, a 2nd round pick, & a 3rd round pick is a massive DL investment, but did you know Pickens' pass rush win rate this year is 0.0% :)

6 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

This is from early august, but it persisted with alot of bets on him up through the pre-season.

He was Doubling up MAHOMES...

Gotcha. So that was volume of bets rather than total value of bets. THAT makes way more sense. I could definitely see people putting $100 and hoping for a big return. Mahomes has top 3 odds for MVP so the reward likely isn't much in comparison.

I'm cheap AF though so I'll continue not to donate to these guys. 😁

The Bears will lose many games if they don't fix the Defense.

I thought the Bears would allow around 20 points a game with a healthy team, but that is not the case.

The Bears will go 0-17 if they keep allowing 34 points a game... even if the O can score more points.

Edited by JibjeResearch

12 hours ago, Epyon said:

If Jenkins and Whitehair don’t get hurt, Davis practices intently and plays and Brisker and Jackson practiced and stayed healthy and played 100% in late camp and in games we are very likely 2-1 and everything looks very different right now.

I firmly believe that.

Those dominos were lynchpins or keys that destroyed both sides of ball for early season.  They were just too much to overcome for this team. 

We weren’t ready to play and couldn’t get others ready in time or had talent to do so.  

It destroyed the team personnel plan and led to bad game planning and coaching.  Trying not to lose and being overly conservative. 

I am leaving aside Mooney not being 100% and Claypool being a headcase .  And Edmunds not practicing in final weeks.  You can’t include everything.  Some things always go wrong.  But the above was just too much.

On top of that the opening loss to Packers as first game after a long lay off after which you were worst team in football caused a lot of psychological damage.  Fan reaction affects coaches and players and it hurt them too. 

15 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

Literally one person might have picked the Baers with a winning record and might have had them in the playoffs, but that can't be verified because they didin't post records. So despite what one poster says, almost no one said the Baers were a playoff team. All while showing that the Baers have been absolute trash for ever but they want they to keep on going because another year of what we have seen for two years isn't enough yet.

You mean the thread where other than myself like 3 people made record predictions, and one more had the Bears 2nd in the division "finishing strong"...

I applaud the effort and sub-posting on your part, but more people posted on this current page of this thread than made year end Bears record predictions in the thread you referenced (plus I believe they all picked 7 wins, not the Top 10 Pick I had them as).

On this forum multiple people claimed there was a chance we were in the playoffs, more said we would be in the hunt at the end of the season. Plenty referenced the "easy" schedule saying we should absolutely win atleast 7 games. And when you go outside of this forum, especially to Chicago media types, the Kool-aid was being Guzzled.

Which is why any threat of "losing the fans" is just laughable to me, we had the 1st overall pick and they packed Soldier Field the very next game we could. We have been one of the worst Franchises of the last decade, and they still keep showing up

Edited by StLunatic88

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

You mean the thread where other than myself like 3 people made record predictions, and one more had the Bears 2nd in the division "finishing strong"...

I applaud the effort and sub-posting on your part, but more people posted on this current page of this thread than made year end Bears record predictions in the thread you referenced (plus I believe they all picked 7 wins, not the Top 10 Pick I had them as).

On this forum multiple people claimed there was a chance we were in the playoffs, more said we would be in the hunt at the end of the season. Plenty referenced the "easy" schedule saying we should absolutely win atleast 7 games. And when you go outside of this forum, especially to Chicago media types, the Kool-aid was being Guzzled.

Which is why any threat of "losing the fans" is just laughable to me, we had the 1st overall pick and they packed Soldier Field the very next game we could. We have been one of the worst Franchises of the last decade, and they still keep showing up

Yet you are the one that said everyone had the Baers as a playoffs team, and yes I acknowledged that person that said they would finish second. I guess 7 wins with a losing record means the playoffs to you, others as they stated said they should progress from last season which they haven’t they have actually regressed. 

21 hours ago, JibjeResearch said:

The Bears will lose many games if they don't fix the Defense.

I thought the Bears would allow around 20 points a game with a healthy team, but that is not the case.

The Bears will go 0-17 if they keep allowing 34 points a game... even if the O can score more points.

I'm not sure fans would mind losing every game if the score was 45-44. At least the game itself would be entertaining.... These games we go down by a mere 7 points and think a game is probably out of reach, however, are pretty insufferable.

• Like 1

Just now, Epyon said:

I'm not sure fans would mind losing every game if the score was 45-44. At least the game itself would be entertaining.... These games we go down by a mere 7 points and think a game is probably out of reach, however, are pretty insufferable.

Exactly this. You can’t win if your offense isn’t scoring points. I would much rather be upset about only not having a good defense (versus now where we have neither an offense or a defense)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Exactly this. You can’t win if your offense isn’t scoring points. I would much rather be upset about only not having a good defense (versus now where we have neither an offense or a defense)

Exactly right. The 2018 Bears defense was allowing only 17.7ppg but this offense is only averaging 15.7ppg. Even with that defense if the offense didn't do better would have a losing record.

Having incompetence on one side of the ball doesn't mean the other needs to do better. The defense isn't the cause if the offense being trash, they are nothing garbage independently of one another. If anything the defense has more to complain since the offense can't stay on the field. The offense should have PLENTY of wind as the ball gets driven down the defense's throat. They're the ones getting worn down.

• Like 1