Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

NinerNation21

Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I enjoy this post. I think that the "Good" percentage form me is probably higher than Aaron's is - there are a bunch of offenses that operate on timing and play-action with a bunch of in-breakers in the middle of the field. Being able to avoid sacks and make plays out of structure matters. I feel pretty comfortable saying that Purdy would operate what the Bears were doing in weeks 1-4 well. And the Dolphins. And the Vikings. And the Rams. And so forth. Sure, if you really are working the sidelines, Purdy becomes less valuable. And maybe the NFL goes there again at some point in his career when defenses morph against Shanahan variants. Russell Wilson is still feeling the pain of the last major shift.

Anyhow, I feel pretty comfortable (60%?, 70%?) that he would be "Good" by Schatz's measure. That's the bucket that most quality starting QBs are in. Even historically good QBs that aren't like...Marino or Mahomes or Manning or Brady or whatever. Flawed rosters are freaking hard to drag to a Super Bowl. And "Average" QBs are unlikely to helm offenses that are quite this good for quite this long, and as the sample size increases, that only becomes less likely.

• Like 1

https://x.com/KurtBenkert/status/1710427652539158805?s=20 

Brock's feet are such a breath of fresh air. He is just so sharp play to play with that. Really great to see a niners QB with sharp footwork. You can tell this was what he worked on when he couldnt throw. He improved while injured. Remarkable.

This was my biggest complaint about jimmy. I gave him a pass for a time because he had an ACL injury, but that excuse only goes so far. It was clear there was never going to be improvement from him there, because he had that amazing ability to fire his gun without his feet being set properly. Brock doesnt have that luxury, so he worked on that and made it a great part of his game. 

We are so fortunate to have this kid as our QB. We need to get this man paid. Someone needs to give him a big sponsorship deal. If baker mayfield can be in 100 commercials, brock should be in 101. He is the talk of the town, but it doesnt seem to affect him at all. The mindset is the thing I like the most. Dude is a football player who plays QB. He grinds. Day in and day out. 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 7

19 minutes ago, N4L said:

https://x.com/KurtBenkert/status/1710427652539158805?s=20 

Brock's feet are such a breath of fresh air. He is just so sharp play to play with that. Really great to see a niners QB with sharp footwork. You can tell this was what he worked on when he couldnt throw. He improved while injured. Remarkable.

This was my biggest complaint about jimmy. I gave him a pass for a time because he had an ACL injury, but that excuse only goes so far. It was clear there was never going to be improvement from him there, because he had that amazing ability to fire his gun without his feet being set properly. Brock doesnt have that luxury, so he worked on that and made it a great part of his game. 

We are so fortunate to have this kid as our QB. We need to get this man paid. Someone needs to give him a big sponsorship deal. If baker mayfield can be in 100 commercials, brock should be in 101. He is the talk of the town, but it doesnt seem to affect him at all. The mindset is the thing I like the most. Dude is a football player who plays QB. He grinds. Day in and day out. 

I liked the info he gave about the niners meeting them set open the left because of CMC choice routes (which also addresses something that jto often brings up because he talks about how he thinks a lot of the CMC routes are choice routes but he's not sure. It's basically being confirmed here that they are)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I liked the info he gave about the niners meeting them set open the left because of CMC choice routes (which also addresses something that jto often brings up because he talks about how he thinks a lot of the CMC routes are choice routes but he's not sure. It's basically being confirmed here that they are)

Yeah, the offense is filled with choice routes. Kittle has spoken about it a ton of times. Its the key to the offense and why guys get open. The guys adjust on the fly based on what the defense does. Its why the offense is so hard for young WRs to pick up. Kyle is very detailed to the point there are 100 different ways to run the same route based on the coverage and leverage of the defender. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Also, Kurt also thinks Purdy flattened a post route on that throw to aiyuk. 

I'm back, baby!!

I was rewatching it, pausing it when brock moves his helmit stripe.  It looks like he throws it at the dudes back.

I was able to snap a screen shot of what he was looking at when he fired the ball, I am just not sure how to post it.

Also, 36 was working really hard to get deeper than the deepest.  He didn't try to play the ball or receiver until he got deeper than Aiyuk.   I am not sure if it were quarters and 36 played it too deep and didn't stay home in his quarter, or if his assignment was to stay deeper than the deepest.  It could have been some weird combo coverage, like a modified quarters designed to let their DB run under a deep ball thrown out in front of Aiyuk.

I am still trying to figure out what the Cards are trying to do on defense.  

I think it is man on the two outside targets, then a zone across the rest of the defense with a match cover 2.  I suppose it is kinda Palm-y, but I think it is a man/zone combo coverage with a late breaking deep safety. 

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

14 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

At the 4:45 mark, check out that play. That’s one of the ones I was saying where Kittle was open for an easy TD. There was one other as well. It’s why I’m predicting a couple TDs for Kittle today. Not cuz I think he’s going to be a huge focus today, but because he won’t be a big focus so he’s gonna sneak out uncovered a couple times. Niners see this on tape, and I think they’ll be looking for it today. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, straighthate said:

At the 4:45 mark, check out that play. That’s one of the ones I was saying where Kittle was open for an easy TD. There was one other as well. It’s why I’m predicting a couple TDs for Kittle today. Not cuz I think he’s going to be a huge focus today, but because he won’t be a big focus so he’s gonna sneak out uncovered a couple times. Niners see this on tape, and I think they’ll be looking for it today. 

Jonnydel covered that on his podcast. Purdy hitting CMC was his first read, and he basically explained that when your first read is open as the play is designed you go for it every time. That's how it's coached up. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, straighthate said:

More like straightfacts iyam. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

This is one thing I don’t get; people are always going on about ‘big time throws’ and things of that nature, but why would Purdy take a chance on one of those when he has easier less risky options to take? IMO, thats just bad business.

• Like 1