2023 NFL Trade Deadline Discussion

49ersfan

Just now, Sad People said:

And posts like this arent even worth a response and you just decide to go about your day.

Have a good one.

Then why'd you respond? I've seen this sort of situation unfold time and time again, yet the fanbase of the player in question says "Nah it'll never happen to us! Our guy is different!"

He's not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I'm keeping an eye on Surtain to Buffalo. Seems like a good short and long term fix for Tre White.

They'll empty the chamber of assets to bring in a young talent who can shut down a side of the field. This is just as much a long term move as it is for this season.

that would be a huge add for Buffalo, I hate it

1 minute ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Unless a playoff contender loses their QB for the season in the next few weeks, is there even any team that would want to trade for Cousins at midseason? Everyone else either has their QB, is stuck paying big money to another QB, or has a young QB they're still hoping can become their guy. Falcons and Jets are the only two that come to mind but I'm not sure they would either

Falcons are really the only realistic team i could see and i dont see it happening now with what sounds like a pretty decent game from Ridder. They also seem pretty content riding it out the year with Ridder and seeing what they have. Kirks wife is from Georgia so thats why i could see him waiving his NTC and signing an extension with them.

But if they did have Kirk theyd be favored in dang near every game with that schedule except maybe the road divisional games against TB and NO.

11 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Lions should absolutely be in the market for a player that can get them closer to the Eagles and 49ers. 

Preferably a pass rusher to complement Hutch, a top shelf CB, or a X receiver.

The CB would be tough. I feel like the 49ers should be looking for one of those as well. Lenoir and Ward are fine, but whenever they are fielding 3 CB (so, pretty much all the time) it's big time hit and miss. The Bills should also be looking for one (thinking Josh Norman isn't going to get the job done). 

I wanted another pass rusher. Gregory doesn't move the needle for me, but I get the upside play for them and at the cost it was worth the shot.  The only problem is that I imagine that means that they will not make another corresponding move to get another one. 

The X receiver is interesting. I don't think you really need an elite x receiver, so are you just looking for someone to fill the role better than what you have? 

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Would Cousins get moved???? That would be interesting. 

I don't think it's impossible he's moved, however I think it's highly, highly unlikely. 

May have been more likely if they had a true potential QB of the future on the roster, but they don't (all respect to Jaren Hall). 

15 minutes ago, Danger said:

Then why'd you respond? I've seen this sort of situation unfold time and time again, yet the fanbase of the player in question says "Nah it'll never happen to us! Our guy is different!"

He's not.

I think this is slightly hyperbolic. If there is contractual issue? Sure. I still think that is the driving force between those types of divorces. But I think its fairly limited the number of times a receiver went diva mode because of the state of the team or based on who is throwing him the football. Doesn't mean that it won't happen, because those things do happen, however there is no inclination yet that Jefferson is any sort of unhappy or that moving on from Kirk would put him in a spot where he's so unhappy he'd be demanding a trade. I think that is worrying about a problem that simply doesn't exist as of right now. 

If things keep going south for the Titans, I have to wonder if any of the almost playoff teams would be willing to move some assets for Derrick Henry.  He's still great, and if the Titans are staring down a rebuild with fewer draft picks in 24 than they started with, moving on now might be easier for the team than moving on later.

Especially if someone was willing to surrender like a second rounder for him, but that might be too much for most teams to swallow.

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If things keep going south for the Titans, I have to wonder if any of the almost playoff teams would be willing to move some assets for Derrick Henry.  He's still great, and if the Titans are staring down a rebuild with fewer draft picks in 24 than they started with, moving on now might be easier for the team than moving on later.

Especially if someone was willing to surrender like a second rounder for him, but that might be too much for most teams to swallow.

The team I would look at would be Green Bay. 

AJ Dillon is simply not a thing, and they were clearly looking to upgrade the position as they were supposedly in on the JT21 talks. They have to a game or two between the deadline and not bottom out. Loss last night was pretty rough. 

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If it wasn’t for the young quarterback factor, I’d have said Adam Thielen.

Same with Darnell Mooney.

Cousins would be spicy but won’t happen.

If Watson’s shoulder injury lingers, I could see them trade for Jacoby Brissett.

The Prince Who Was Promised

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danger said:

I think with Jefferson going on IR the Vikings are only going to struggle more, definitely expect them to move some guys. 

Danielle Hunter and Kirk Cousins make the most sense. I can't see them wanting to move Jefferson, though me might force their hand in a year's time.

Carolina, Denver, Arizona, Giants

Do any of these teams have guys that are good candidates for being traded at the deadline? I don't see Belichik as the kind of guy who'd trade away guys he thought were actually decent and lay down for a season.

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Trade deadline is Tuesday October 31. Last year there was the blockbuster CMC trade from the Panthers to the 49ers. Will there be any big trades in the next 3 weeks? 

Danielle Hunter from the Vikings? Patrick Surtain or Jerry Jeudy from the Broncos? 

Broncos should be in fire sale mode. I'd keep Surtain as he's a young piece you can build around...but just about everyone else should be available for the right price 

26 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Surtain won’t be moved. Even if the Broncos are tanking you don’t traded young corner who is that good. Justin Simmons is the DB I am looking at in Denver to be moved. He can still play and could help a contender. 

It's a given that DEN will be in fire sale in the likely event they lose to KC and GB (and face KC Week 8).   The real Q is if it starts after TNF. 

Candidates who would likely require the moon to be dealt - PS2.  Surtain likely would need to get the Jalen Ramsey 1st-trade package - two 1sts and a day 2 pick to even start the conversation (and it would depend which team it would be, too).    Expect this to be a <10 percent probability

Candidates who would require more than most teams willing to give - Jeudy was being asked for a 1st, maybe that's an early 2nd if it's CAR.  I doubt buyers meet that price.   Simmons is definitely being held out for a late 2nd, again at age 30 (although still playing at peak levels, the Q is for how long) I don't know if ppl will deal for him.   Garrett Bolles is probably tradeable for a day 2 pick, but again I'm not sure buyers will go that far, since he's been OK, but nothing close to his 2021 form (you wonder if no crowds helped him, along with the decrease in holding calls that year with Covid).    Because we have a young S in Turner-Yell who has shown some promise, I could see Simmons definitely going...but with a 2nd rounder as the asking price (maybe a 2 3rd's gets it done?).   The other 2, seems like buyers aren't thinking that high price-wise, and both are under contract for 2024, so there's no rush there, if the price isn't met.

Guys who would likely be almost given away - Courtland Sutton (14M left this year, 13M next year in savings, with 6.8M dead cap on top) for a 5th round pick,  DJ Jones for a Day 3 pick, Josey Jewell for a Day 3 pick.     Kareem Jackson, Frank Clark can be had for a song.   It would be unlikely that both Sutton & Jeudy would be dealt, but since Sutton is likely to be released at end of season (and that doesn't count for comp picks, either, nor should he command a similar contract in the open market), there is a scenario where Sutton is kept while Jeudy is dealt for a premium pick.    Again, I don't see buyers willing to pay that price, so I think we see Sutton as the more likely guy; especially as Brandon Johnson can fit his pattern / usage profile at 85-90 percent ability, but min wage cost.   

It's not a question of if DEN is selling - simply who will get dealt.  The Gregory trade sent a message that attitude & performance matter, so honestly, outside of PS2, Quinn Meinerz, Nik Bonnito & Jaleel Mclaughlin, no one is untouchable - but Jeudy, Simmons & Bolles will likely command pretty high draft capital that I doubt buyers would pay up for.  We'll see.

Edited by Broncofan

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think it's impossible he's moved, however I think it's highly, highly unlikely. 

May have been more likely if they had a true potential QB of the future on the roster, but they don't (all respect to Jaren Hall). 

They’ve got Mullins for this year who has some experience but I’d imagine they’d have two more losses at least to entertain a trade. As for next year, there’s enough stop gap options out there to compete with a rookie, I don’t think they need to have a solution on the roster. I was hoping Mn would have made a play for Trey Lance just to have a bit more flexibility in dealing with Cousins. 

At the end of the day, Cousins controls the trade. I’d see him favoring security to close out his career than going to an immediate contender. So that may require a deal that basically guarantees him a starting job for two more years. He’s 36 so not sure how much longer he wants to go.

So who’s an up and coming team that could use a two year fix at QB? 

Edited by vikingsrule

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

The X receiver is interesting. I don't think you really need an elite x receiver, so are you just looking for someone to fill the role better than what you have? 

Yeah, even some other Lions fans disagree with me on this, but I feel the WR corps needs that tall, physical guy who can win contested matchups on the boundary, get deep down the sideline, and beat press coverage. Amon-Ra owns the middle of the field, Reynolds is excellent as a #3, Z receiver type who can run medium routes. I'm skeptical Jameson will ever be dependable enough to be a key part, but he and Kalif will be wild cards that you can work in here and there. It's the role Marvin Jones currently has that needs to be upgraded, they should cut him

• Like 2