GDT: LA Rams (3-4) @ Dallas Cowboys (4-2)

DaBoys

4 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

Mazi skipped the combine and had no production in college. He was not worthy of a 1st round pick but the Cowboys picked him anyway because of “need”. 

Not what happened.

I didn’t love the Mazi Smith pick, and I’m skeptical it’s going to work out. But you talk about Dallas like they’re some sort of bumbling circus when it comes to their draft process. They’ve been arguably the best drafting franchise in football since McClay took over in 2014. They aren’t out there taking massive reaches for need, not based on their evaluations at least.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Have they?

They've done this to every mid tier and lower  team they've played, aside from when they got out coached and out hustled against the Cards.

The real questions I've been asking is if they can do anything close to this against teams like Philadelphia, San Francisco, and I guess Detroit since the NFC outside of PHI, SF and DAL is pretty weak. The NFCs lack of powerhouse franchises overall is what could work in Dallas's favor in the playoffs, but they need to do this against those above mentioned teams if they want to actually answer any questions.

I agree. Until we can routinely out up solid performances against top tier teams (not performances like today’s per se, but solid), then nothing was really answered. We’ve proven over the last 3-5 years that we can dominate mid- and lower-tier teams, but we haven’t done a damned thing to show that we can even compete with, let alone dominate, a top team.

12 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Not what happened.

I didn’t love the Mazi Smith pick, and I’m skeptical it’s going to work out. But you talk about Dallas like they’re some sort of bumbling circus when it comes to their draft process. They’ve been arguably the best drafting franchise in football since McClay took over in 2014. They aren’t out there taking massive reaches for need, not based on their evaluations at least.

Sure they aren’t reaches based on THEIR evaluations. Taco wasn’t a reach on their evaluations. But it’s pretty obvious that was them saying hey we NEED someone bigger than TJ Watt because we NEED a hand in the dirt DE.

We didn’t NEED Will Levis. We Didn’t NEED JPJ or Bergeron. We needed a run stuffer who wasn’t even the best DT on the board. Breese was. We NEEDED a TE to replace Schultz. We didn’t NEED Torrence. 

I do agree that the entire body of work from the draft dudes has been top notch(other franchises like Baltimore and Pittsburgh are close too.) But last year was a needs draft. No doubt about it. I don’t believe there’s anyway in Gods green hell that they had Schoonmaker ranked as the 58th best player in college football. He was just the best TE left after the run. Based on their evaluations 

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Not what happened.

Agreed. Not real sure where this Dallas took Mazi to fill a “need” stuff is  coming from.

We made a midseason trade for Hankins last year because we NEEDED a run stuffer. We lost our starting TE as the major departure of the off season. Hmmmmm

There's such a thing as the consensus big board compiled from over 70 industry experts. We drafted the consensus 49th ranked prospect and the consensus 100th ranked prospect, 26th and 58th overall respectively. 

Yeah I can’t see why people are calling this a needs draft either. 

Ray_Charles_classic_piano_pose.jpg

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Sure they aren’t reaches based on THEIR evaluations. Taco wasn’t a reach on their evaluations. But it’s pretty obvious that was them saying hey we NEED someone bigger than TJ Watt because we NEED a hand in the dirt DE.

We didn’t NEED Will Levis. We Didn’t NEED JPJ or Bergeron. We needed a run stuffer who wasn’t even the best DT on the board. Breese was. We NEEDED a TE to replace Schultz. We didn’t NEED Torrence. 

I do agree that the entire body of work from the draft dudes has been top notch(other franchises like Baltimore and Pittsburgh are close too.) But last year was a needs draft. No doubt about it. I don’t believe there’s anyway in Gods green hell that they had Schoonmaker ranked as the 58th best player in college football. He was just the best TE left after the run. Based on their evaluations 

It’s been 1 gm for Levis, albeit a good one , but even so, he wasn’t going to see the field anytime soon here. JPJ at best ,would be our 4th CB, so you spend a 1st rd pk on a 4th CB?? How has Torrence done? I saw a video of him being thrown around like a little kid 🤦‍♂️ . Bergeron was taking with the 38th pk, wouldn’t he be a “reach “ in the 1st rd ??

Man, not every pick is gonna hit , you all make it seem like Dallas is the worst drafting team 🤦‍♂️ 

Edited by PincheJimmy

2 minutes ago, PincheJimmy said:

It’s been 1 gm for Levis, albeit a good one , but even so, he wasn’t going to see the field anytime soon. JPJ at best ,would be our 4th CB, so you spend a 1st rd pk on a 4th QB ?? How has Torrence done? I saw a video of him being thrown around like a little kid 🤦‍♂️ . Bergeron was taking with the 38th pk, wouldn’t he be a “reach “ in the 1st rd ??

Man, not every pick is gonna hit , you all make it seem like Dallas is the worst drafting team 🤦‍♂️ 

No you guys are too damn sensitive. We can’t call a duck a duck without offending your favorite little team, who is the BEST drafting team EVER!!!!!

But in reality I’m right. This draft sucked. No amount of butt hurt is going to change that. 

• Like 3

All this Mazi hate, didn't we draft Williams as replacement (need) for the departing Gregory?

And how's that working out?

And don't give me this "He just blocked a punt" garbage.

He was drafted to sack the QB, and he can't crack the starting line up.

So just how good has our recent drafts been?

22 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

All this Mazi hate, didn't we draft Williams as replacement (need) for the departing Gregory?

Today is not the day we bash Sam Williams. Perhaps he has taken a step back from an intriguing rookie year— but this is not something you, I or the average NFL punt returner want to see coming at you:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Come on now, Dave. Our starting edge rushers are Micah Parsons and DeMarcus Lawrence. Who is coming off the field for Sam Williams? I’m sure SW thinks he is better than Dlaw at this point in their careers but probably not. Our two DEs are probably the strongest part of our team and arguably the best tandem in the NFL. 

Edge rushers

Micah Parsons: A. He picked up right where he left off in training camp, playing like an NFL Defensive Player of the Year favorite. He could’ve played better against the Cardinals and 49ers, but overall, Parsons has been elite, leading the team with five sacks, seven tackles for loss, 11 QB hits and 41 pressures.

DeMarcus Lawrence: A. The 10-year veteran is having one of the best seasons of his career, disrupting things as a pass rusher and run defender. It would be difficult to ask more of him at this point. As long as he and Parsons stay healthy, opposing quarterbacks are going to have their hands full.

Edited by DaBoys

I’m personally totally fine with criticism of the Mazi pick. When you are way different than the consensus, you need to be right or you’ll look foolish. They were right with Tyler Smith. TBD on Mazi, but early returns aren’t great.

To me, “reach for need” means that *they* thought a better player was available, but chose the worse player because they had a need at the position. We have the video and reporting evidence to know that’s not what happened with Mazi.

I actually do think they draft for need in round 2 fairly often, and it has led to a much lower success rate. Schoonmaker and Kelvin Joseph in particular have all the hallmarks of drafting for need.

• Like 1