Do you think the Bills current window is closed?

CP3MVP

2 hours ago, Soko said:

You don’t need to be a top two team in the league or conference to win a SB, though. There are teams that, even entering the playoffs, we collectively didn’t believe were contenders to win the trophy, only for them to win it all. 

Having an open window and being a season long SB favorite are two different things.

This is rare though. 

10 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

And just because you make the playoff doesn’t mean you are a Super Bowl contender. Did you think the 2015 packers were Super Bowl contenders? 

Probably not but you never know.  In 2010 we were the last WC team and we found a way to win it all.  The Packers were the #1 seed in 2020 & 2021 and I thought we were legit contenders but we found a way to lose.

On 10/25/2023 at 1:15 PM, General Tso said:

I won't say every year, but the Saints should have made it to the Bowl the year against the Rams. So he pretty much had 2 "windows."

Seahawks drafted like trash after the initial years, that's the reason they didn't have a 2nd window.

Rodgers had back-to-back #1 seeds the past few years.

As long as a team can draft to replace their talent, then the QB contract won't tie down the team and there's still a window because finding elite level QB talent is a 1% proposition.

The irony behind that comment since we're talking about Brees himself is that he got the ball in OT but didn't score

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

People say that, but sometimes I feel like that’s disrespectful to the Rams though who beat 2 teams to get to the Super Bowl  that I feel either were flat out better than Buffalo or on par. 

And Cincy who actually did do the job against the Chiefs AND beat the Bills down in the playoffs the following year in Buffalo

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 3:05 PM, General Tso said:

My point is, you asked for evidence, I gave you evidence that a good QB gives you a chance in multiple windows. Super Bowl in one year, Championship game 9 years later.

Sure but another aspect of his point that I think is completely valid is that the Saints and Packers had arguably two of the top 5 or 10 QBs of all time and only ever made ONE Super Bowl each. During that time period, Eli Manning made TWO.

And one of the reasons for that was the Giants elite defensive line. You can look at multiple reasons for why the Saints and Packers didn't have that, but one is that when you have a top QB that is paid like a top QB, it makes it difficult to keep the rest of your roster good enough to keep your window open.

41 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

This is rare though. 

Lately, yeah, it’s been rare.

Still, if that’s the standard, then only 2-4 teams ever have an open SB window. And I don’t think that’s the case. 

I think if you’re a team who’s looking to get into the playoffs and be at least better than 2019 Patriots cannon fodder, then that’s an open window.

55 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Sure but another aspect of his point that I think is completely valid is that the Saints and Packers had arguably two of the top 5 or 10 QBs of all time and only ever made ONE Super Bowl each. During that time period, Eli Manning made TWO.

And one of the reasons for that was the Giants elite defensive line. You can look at multiple reasons for why the Saints and Packers didn't have that, but one is that when you have a top QB that is paid like a top QB, it makes it difficult to keep the rest of your roster good enough to keep your window open.

Sure, it may keep you from having a consistently elite team, but it's still no excuse for certain areas of the team to be a complete garbage dump.  

2 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

People say that, but sometimes I feel like that’s disrespectful to the Rams though who beat 2 teams to get to the Super Bowl  that I feel either were flat out better than Buffalo or on par. 

Totally fair, I guess I should've said that would've been their ideal year but definitely not a guarantee 

On 10/26/2023 at 5:24 PM, CP3MVP said:

Well yeah. I never viewed Ben in some amazing light anyway, he was never top 3 in the league to me. So his teams never being contenders like that in my eyes isn’t really crazy. 

You say so. 🍺

Edited by Nabbs4u

On 10/25/2023 at 12:15 PM, General Tso said:

I won't say every year, but the Saints should have made it to the Bowl the year against the Rams. So he pretty much had 2 "windows."

Seahawks drafted like trash after the initial years, that's the reason they didn't have a 2nd window.

Rodgers had back-to-back #1 seeds the past few years.

As long as a team can draft to replace their talent, then the QB contract won't tie down the team and there's still a window because finding elite level QB talent is a 1% proposition.

I haven't read the whole thread, so maybe someone already hit on this, but isn't the bold the main reason this is a discussion anyway? The Bills have done a really poor job of drafting the past few seasons. That's why they've remained so reliant on aging players that are a mix of expensive and in some cases declining, and that's why people feel like the Bills aren't as talented and may be declining. If they start drafting well now, that can change things, but I think that supports CP3MVP's idea that if they get there again, it may need to be with a different core, because by the time the guys they draft the next year or two will be in their primes, much of the recent core will be moving on.

Yes, they need to retool and should have over this off-season rather than try and brute force run it back again. Last year showed they were aging and couldn't remain healthy, that's borne itself out so far this year. Last year showed they don't have the OL depth, that's borne itself out this year. Last year showed they really don't have an offense outside of Allen and Diggs and a prayer, this has been borne out so far this year.

They need a retool and to reset with the staff and front office with the aim of contending in 2025. But they won't do that, they'll limp into the playoffs with an empty 10 wins and get shellacked. 

On 10/26/2023 at 10:01 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yes, they need to retool and should have over this off-season rather than try and brute force run it back again. Last year showed they were aging and couldn't remain healthy, that's borne itself out so far this year. Last year showed they don't have the OL depth, that's borne itself out this year. Last year showed they really don't have an offense outside of Allen and Diggs and a prayer, this has been borne out so far this year.

They need a retool and to reset with the staff and front office with the aim of contending in 2025. But they won't do that, they'll limp into the playoffs with an empty 10 wins and get shellacked. 

So you want McDermott out?

No its not closed. They have a franchise QB in Allen for at least the next handful of seasons. Now if his body starts to break down bc he is running the ball alot getting physical thats another discussion. But as of now we know what he is capable of. Still have Diggs and when healthy the Bills defense is really solid if not really good. 

Its hard to win Superbowls. And just bc you dont win it this season it doesnt mean the window is closed. The Bills need to get healthy, keep trying to add pieces when they can to fix some of their issues, and just hope Allen doesnt get seriously hurt from his playing style. I do think we are expecting to see that Bills team that went toe to toe with the Chiefs in the playoff game that was 13 seconds away from winning. That Bills team in that game was special. That was peak Allen. So anything less many will say the Bills window is closed. Again its not. Unless they trade Allen or he retires and they dont have a franchise QB their window isnt closed.

2 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

No its not closed. They have a franchise QB in Allen for at least the next handful of seasons. Now if his body starts to break down bc he is running the ball alot getting physical thats another discussion. But as of now we know what he is capable of. Still have Diggs and when healthy the Bills defense is really solid if not really good. 

Its hard to win Superbowls. And just bc you dont win it this season it doesnt mean the window is closed. The Bills need to get healthy, keep trying to add pieces when they can to fix some of their issues, and just hope Allen doesnt get seriously hurt from his playing style. I do think we are expecting to see that Bills team that went toe to toe with the Chiefs in the playoff game that was 13 seconds away from winning. That Bills team in that game was special. That was peak Allen. So anything less many will say the Bills window is closed. Again its not. Unless they trade Allen or he retires and they dont have a franchise QB their window isnt closed.

You can have a franchise QB and not be Super Bowl contenders as we have seen countless HOF’s throughout nfl history