Do you think the Bills current window is closed?

CP3MVP

7 hours ago, lancerman said:

People look at guys like Brady, Manning, and Mahomes and think that any stud QB is going to have a perpetually open window. But Brady and Mahomes had great coaches and Manning had a legendary GM (and another one who was one of the best in the league when he was in Denver). 

You are right. I don't think Allen is a whole lot better than Wilson ever was. But Wilson's window effectively closed after 2015. Sure Seattle would still make the playoffs, but they weren't ever a threat to go deep after the LOB left. Rodgers had on and off windows. 

I don't agree with this. 

2022: Chiefs were the 1 seed and clearly the best team in the league. 

2021: Only two teams had 1 more win than the Rams, but of all the 12-5, 13-4 teams, the Rams were clearly the most dynamic team of the year. 

2020: I guess you could argue the Bucs got hot at the right time, but they were easily the most talented team in the league that year and once they figured it out with a new quarterback and lots of new talent, they basically became unstoppable. 

2019: Chiefs were the most balanced team. You could maybe argue the Ravens were the most flashy. But the Chiefs were like a top 2 team that year and clearly were going to be one of the big players come playoff time. Even the Ravens would have pegged the Chiefs as their biggest obstacle to a Super Bowl. 

2018: Patriots once their defense started clicking and Gronk got healthy became unstoppable. Even the team with the 1 seed still lost to the Patriots in the regular season and playoffs

2017: Eagles were the best team pretty much all year regardless of who the QB was. 

2016: Patriots were the clear best team. 

2015. Broncos even with a weakness on offense were still having a historic defensive run and were the team everyone was struggling to beat. 

2014: Patriots were the clear best team with the only real competition being the other team in the Super Bowl. 

2013: All year seemed to be a crash course between Seattle and Denver, and they both ended up in the Super Bowl. 

2012: Ravens got hot at the right time. 

2011: Giants got hot at the right time. 

2010: Packers got hot at the right time. 

2009: Saints and Colts were the best team all year and met in the Super Bowl

There was a 3 year period in the early 2010's where a team got hot at the right time and wasn't a clear top tier team come playoff time. But even then, Flacco/Eli wouldn't fit that description of a Josh Allen level QB and 2010 Rodgers wasn't really in that category either. But most of the time either the best team one or a team that probably on paper was the best team but needed a few things to start clicking later in the season.

The Russell point is interesting and I agree. I never felt the Seahawks were actually contenders after 2015. 

26 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

So you never considered your Steelers "contenders" during most of the Big Ben years? 🤔 

Honestly no. Am I wrong though? Ben was drafted in 2004.

2004,2005,2008,2010,2011,2015-2017.

What’s the 8 of out 20 years? And 2015 I’m being nice. I felt the pats and Broncos were the two best teams in the afc clearly 

Edited by CP3MVP

8 hours ago, lancerman said:

2015. Broncos even with a weakness on offense were still having a historic defensive run and were the team everyone was struggling to beat. 

Sure they had an historic defense, but 9 teams had a better point differential than them that season including their Super Bowl opponent by 133 points.  They weren't favored in either the Super Bowl or AFC Championship game.  They had, at least in the modern era, all-time bad QB play from Peyton.  And they weren't in the conversation for the best team in the NFL.  Panthers/Cardinals/Seahaws/Patriots were above them.  Bengals too until Dalton got hurt.

They were a good team but nobody was penciling them in as Super Bowl champs towards the end of the regular season (lets not forget that Peyton got benched for Osweiler).  They are exactly the team the person you are quoting is talking about - getting hot/lucky at the right time. 

Edited by iknowcool

21 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

You just have to make it to the dance with a guy like Allen on your team. Sure they might not be the favorite, but you will never want your team to play them in the playoffs because you never know when Allen might just go Superman and carry them to a win. 

NFL champions aren’t born from being the best team. They are born from being hot at the right time. The Bills are capable of doing that still imo. 

Hail look at The Giants two Superbowl runs under Manning.  They weren't the best team any of those years but they got their spark set at the right time and came away with gold.

Edited by BeaReylo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, lancerman said:

People look at guys like Brady, Manning, and Mahomes and think that any stud QB is going to have a perpetually open window. But Brady and Mahomes had great coaches and Manning had a legendary GM (and another one who was one of the best in the league when he was in Denver). 

You are right. I don't think Allen is a whole lot better than Wilson ever was. But Wilson's window effectively closed after 2015. Sure Seattle would still make the playoffs, but they weren't ever a threat to go deep after the LOB left. Rodgers had on and off windows. 

I don't agree with this. 

2022: Chiefs were the 1 seed and clearly the best team in the league. 

2021: Only two teams had 1 more win than the Rams, but of all the 12-5, 13-4 teams, the Rams were clearly the most dynamic team of the year. 

2020: I guess you could argue the Bucs got hot at the right time, but they were easily the most talented team in the league that year and once they figured it out with a new quarterback and lots of new talent, they basically became unstoppable. 

2019: Chiefs were the most balanced team. You could maybe argue the Ravens were the most flashy. But the Chiefs were like a top 2 team that year and clearly were going to be one of the big players come playoff time. Even the Ravens would have pegged the Chiefs as their biggest obstacle to a Super Bowl. 

2018: Patriots once their defense started clicking and Gronk got healthy became unstoppable. Even the team with the 1 seed still lost to the Patriots in the regular season and playoffs

2017: Eagles were the best team pretty much all year regardless of who the QB was. 

2016: Patriots were the clear best team. 

2014: Patriots were the clear best team with the only real competition being the other team in the Super Bowl. 

2013: All year seemed to be a crash course between Seattle and Denver, and they both ended up in the Super Bowl. 

2012: Ravens got hot at the right time. 

2011: Giants got hot at the right time. 

2010: Packers got hot at the right time. 

2009: Saints and Colts were the best team all year and met in the Super Bowl

There was a 3 year period in the early 2010's where a team got hot at the right time and wasn't a clear top tier team come playoff time. But even then, Flacco/Eli wouldn't fit that description of a Josh Allen level QB and 2010 Rodgers wasn't really in that category either. But most of the time either the best team one or a team that probably on paper was the best team but needed a few things to start clicking later in the season.

I truly just don’t care enough to make an argument on why you are wrong about many of those years, but this is also just missing my point so I will rephrase a bit. 

The NFL playoff format is terrible at figuring out who the best team in the league is.  One game sample size is not nearly enough to make a claim that one team is clearly better than another…. Especially when the games themselves are often very close. What is more important is being better than your opponent that day than it is being the top to bottom better football team. 

Can the Bills be better than the other top NFL teams for 3-4 games? I think they are capable of that.

1 hour ago, CP3MVP said:

What’s the 8 of out 20 years? And 2015 I’m being nice. I felt the pats and Broncos were the two best teams in the afc clearly 

You honestly going to sit here and say there was only 7 years "You as a Fan" felt the window was open during Ben's 18 year career? 👌

Being the best team in the NFL doesn't guarantee you a SB title. You of all people should know this. Steelers sure weren't that as a WC team/SB winner in 2005. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

You don’t need to be a top two team in the league or conference to win a SB, though. There are teams that, even entering the playoffs, we collectively didn’t believe were contenders to win the trophy, only for them to win it all. 

Having an open window and being a season long SB favorite are two different things.

Edited by Soko

When you have a QB like Allen I don't think it's ever truly closed unless the group ages out or you're in an obvious rebuild. They definitely got smacked by the injury big this year though and it'll be hard to rise to the top but not impossible. 

I will say though, if not for the "13 seconds" game I feel Buffalo's window was at its most "openess" and would've gotten a ring that year imho. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

You honestly going to sit here and say there was only 7 years "You as a Fan" felt the window was open during Ben's 18 year career? 👌

Being the best team in the NFL doesn't guarantee you a SB title. You of all people should know this. Steelers sure weren't that as a WC team/SB winner in 2005. 

Well yeah. I never viewed Ben in some amazing light anyway, he was never top 3 in the league to me. So his teams never being contenders like that in my eyes isn’t really crazy. 

17 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

When you have a QB like Allen I don't think it's ever truly closed unless the group ages out or you're in an obvious rebuild. They definitely got smacked by the injury big this year though and it'll be hard to rise to the top but not impossible. 

I will say though, if not for the "13 seconds" game I feel Buffalo's window was at its most "openess" and would've gotten a ring that year imho. 

People say that, but sometimes I feel like that’s disrespectful to the Rams though who beat 2 teams to get to the Super Bowl  that I feel either were flat out better than Buffalo or on par. 

• Like 2