Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It would have been best to let them know beforehand, no doubt.  I'm surprised Johnson lacks people skills to such an extent that he couldn't see that.

It also would have been much better to let them know before letting the world know.

Regarding your first point, one could argue that it would have been better to give them the courtesy of hearing them out and giving them a chance to change your mind since they're already midflight.  If that wasn't possible, one could argue that it's more professional to turn them down in person with your reasoning.

Whatever the case, I should have known that only one piece of that entire 3-minute video would be attacked as a way to discredit the entire thing.

I wasn’t trying to discredit anything other than the perception that an Executive made a misstep by not interviewing for the job.

I’ve seen organizations pull offers that were already accepted for various reasons that had nothing to do with the candidate, even after the candidate has resigned.  The bar for malfeasance in the interview/offer stage is far above “didn’t go through with the onsite”.

Just now, Nnivolcm said:

You can't have it both ways.

You can't want him to let them know before the story leaked on twitter and want him to waste their time with an interview. 

Huh?  How is that "both ways".  If he wasn't emotionally intelligent enough to understand how this would be viewed by not informing them beforehand, he shouldn't have compounded the mistake by leaking it publicly and/or texting them midflight. 

Once he knew they were on their way, he should have waited and taken the interview.

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Huh?  How is that "both ways".  If he wasn't emotionally intelligent enough to understand how this would be viewed by not informing them beforehand, he shouldn't have compounded the mistake by leaking it publicly and/or texting them midflight. 

Once he knew they were on their way, he should have waited and taken the interview.

That's both ways.

You wanted him to let them know before it was leaked to twitter, and you wanted him to waste everyone's time with the interview. 

It can only be one of those things and for all we know Johnson was waiting to tell them in person but they found out on twitter first. Darn him to heck!

6 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

I wasn’t trying to discredit anything other than the perception that an Executive made a misstep by not interviewing for the job.

I’ve seen organizations pull offers that were already accepted for various reasons that had nothing to do with the candidate, even after the candidate has resigned.  The bar for malfeasance in the interview/offer stage is far above “didn’t go through with the onsite”.

Always hurts to hear an offer has been rescinded after a candidate has given notice.

5 minutes ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

yeah. hard to find a better source in the nfl than schefter.

that's not a good look on ben johnson. getting bad josh mcdaniels vibes here.

He parrots what certain teams want out there. This is all damage control by Washington for looking clueless in hiring process 

I mean, next offseason this will no doubt come up again.  

But if I’m WAS, with guys hired and in the fold, it’s a little weird to leak this now.   Move forward and focus on the draft.  To spend any more time on this comes off like a jilted ex.   Hopefully someone in the FO cuts this off now. 

Unlike McD no one else lost jobs or opps.    Everyone’s moving on.    The only ppl who want more story on this at this stage are the reporters so they can get clicks.   

12 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

How people still have a high opinion of Schefter after all the garbage he has done is insane to me lmfao. The guy is the mouthpiece for the league and front offices. This is nothing new.

And the player agents who feed him scoops about their clients. 

Schefter is not a gumshoe journalist anymore, he's, as has been pointed out, a mouthpiece for those with whom he has ties. Every team has a beat guy, for us in Broncos Country it's Mike Klis, who gets the news first from the team but the tat in the ***-for-tat is he is the first one there to circle the wagons for the organization when something doesn't go their way. 

21 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

How people still have a high opinion of Schefter after all the garbage he has done is insane to me lmfao. The guy is the mouthpiece for the league and front offices. This is nothing new.

I mean yea he would send his pieces to the team to preview and tweak as they saw fit. He's been on their payroll for years. 

2 hours ago, EvilenFroggen said:

GMs and owners were all, “I am not pronouncing it “ri-SHARD,” Richard.”

And that was a deal breaker. 

Bears should sign him then. Virginia is 173 years old so she won't even know he's in the room.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Xenos said:

Yeah but they were still flying there anyways to interview Glenn right? So what’s the problem then?

Honestly, the Glenn part of this is the stuff that is unfortunately being left out. 

Screams to me that there was never really any intention to do anything with Glenn and it was just wasting his time

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, the Glenn part of this is the stuff that is unfortunately being left out. 

Screams to me that there was never really any intention to do anything with Glenn and it was just wasting his time

Was the Glenn " interview" part of  satisfying the Rooney rule?