Joe Barry HAS Been Fired, Who Do You Want Next?

Brit Pack

1 minute ago, Chili said:

Seems to be a fair number of interesting options knocking about. If I was a betting man LaFleur will lean on someone he's already familiar with. With how incestuous NFL coaching circles tend to be it would be a surprise for us to hire someone outside our circle. Perhaps LaFleur may feel secure enough in his job to make such an outside move. He did it before with Bisaccia (I think), maybe he will do the same again.

Connection with LaFleur either through previous working relationships, previous interviews and indirect links through coaches and friends he knows.
Jim Leonard (Free Agent) - Prior interview, from Wisconsin
Chris Harris (Titans) - Through Bowen & prior interview I believe
Shane Bowen (Titans) -  Worked together Titans. DC but I think he's free to interview and leave.
Marquand Manual (Jets) - Worked together Atlanta Falcons, through Saleh, Urbrich, Shanahan. Was not considered a coordinator candiate last time round and didn't get a sniff when the defensive back job opened up. Don't think LaFleur likes him.
Brandon Staley (Chargers) - Through McVay
Ejiro Evero (Carolina) - prior interview & worked together at Rams but is already a DC...lateral move may be blocked.
Johnny Holland (49ers) - Through Shanahan & worked together at Houston. Former Packer.
Aubrey Pleasant (Rams) - Worked together at Rams & Packers, Washington. He's from Wisconsin and both have history in the Michigan area.
Patrick Graham (Raiders) - through Pettine
Jerry Gray (Atlanta) - Worked together at Packers
Jimmy Lake (Rams) - Through McVay
Mike Vrable (Titans) -  Former boss. Defensive coach but more culture guy than X and Os.
Chris Kiffin (Texans) - Prior interview, Bloodlines, Through Shanahan
Pat Fitzgerald (Free Agent) - Former HC interviewee, fall from grace makes him a possible interview option. Through Mark Murphy.

No connection to LaFleur
Anthony Weaver (Ravens)
Chris Hewitt (Ravens)
Jesse Minter (Michigan)
Al Harris (Cowboys)
Joe Whitt Jr (Cowboys)
Don Martindale (Giants)
Leslie Frazier (Bills)

Out of the running
Eric Henderson - Through McVay

My eyes are somewhat drawn to Chris Harris and Jim Leonard.

Leonard was our first choice and we offered him the job which he turned down, he is very available this time round, that is if LaFleur still wants to stick with the 3-4 defence.

If I remember correctly Chris Harris impressed in 2021 defensive coordinator interviews but was probably deemed "too early" for him. Perhaps he will be ready now. He isn't a 3-4 guy I believe and one which I would consider an outside hire which makes him more interesting. A strong dark horse for me. My gut tells me he's the one to watch as the defensive coordinator search unfolds.

To my surprise LaFleur did not interview any Baltimore Ravens coaches last time round maybe this time he will. In the last round of interviews he had Matt Burke, Ryan Nielsen and Ejiro Evero who are all now defensive coordinators so i'm optimistic he and the management can come up with a good list of interview candidates. I think LaFleur will try to be more open minded to "outside hire" as well as system change this time round. He missed out on good coaches due to "lack of experience" and wanting to stick to 3-4 defence. Hopefully he will try to learn from his mistakes this time round.

Barry was hired within 10 days of Pettine firing so we're looking at roughly 4th February for our new coordinator hring.

Your posting style and the situation at hand are a perfect marriage right now for content.

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

You're gonna push @Old Guyover the edge 

Pretty much resigned myself to the fact he's going to SD. He's got no chance at the Michigan job; it's going to Moore. 

Our only shot was to get him before Harbaugh made his decision. 

Edited by Old Guy

6 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. not sure what's up with that guy.  Had some opportunities to snag some high profile DC jobs at the college level.  I almost thought he might be waiting around for the GB gig.  Who knows?

Jim Leonard loves Wisconsin.  He's a very small town country Wisconsin guy.  He wants his family to stay in Wisconsin .. he doesn't need the money.  No doubt he's being looked outside the state but not sure he'll go anywhere else.  Time will tell. 

2 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Jim Leonard loves Wisconsin.  He's a very small town country Wisconsin guy.  He wants his family to stay in Wisconsin .. he doesn't need the money.  No doubt he's being looked outside the state but not sure he'll go anywhere else.  Time will tell. 

Is he a Madison guy more than a Green Bay guy, you think?

7 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Pretty much resigned myself to the fact he's going to SD. He's got no chance at the Michigan job; it's going to Moore. 

Our only shot was to get him before Harbaugh made his decision. 

I also don't assume that Minter would automatically follow Harbaugh. He's his own man pursuing his own ambitions and is probably highly sought after. His decision potentially has very little to do with what Harbaugh did.

5 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Is he a Madison guy more than a Green Bay guy, you think?

Pretty sure the bridges are burned at Madison especially with the Badgers current AD.  Leonard thought he would be the next Badger coach with Chryst's blessings.  He was Badger blood red through and through and then the rug was pulled out from under his feet when Fickell said yes.  Convinced he would have said yes to the Packers had he known that.

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I also don't assume that Minter would automatically follow Harbaugh. He's his own man pursuing his own ambitions and is probably highly sought after. His decision potentially has very little to do with what Harbaugh did.

Agree, the Chargers overall team and facilities vs the Packers in my opinion aren't even close.  Draft picks upcoming, salary cap looking good down the road, a very talented young offense and decent defensive players to work with.  Offer him top notch dollars and may the best team win for his services if that's who they want. 

18 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Pretty sure the bridges are burned at Madison especially with the Badgers current AD.  Leonard thought he would be the next Badger coach with Chryst's blessings.  He was Badger blood red through and through and then the rug was pulled out from under his feet when Fickell said yes.  Convinced he would have said yes to the Packers had he known that.

No doubt.  Which is partially why I think he's got to be the heavy favorite for the DC position.

I’ve been searching the Packers subreddit for potential DC candidates and seen the name Zach Orr thrown around. Ravens ILB coach. We all know the Ravens have a great defensive tree, so if we’re looking for that young up-and-comer, he’s someone worth a look.

Are we in position to take that gamble, though? This next hire could either land MLF a Super Bowl or make us pretenders for another 10-15 years, and I think he knows that.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

No doubt.  Which is partially why I think he's got to be the heavy favorite for the DC position.

There is definitely a plausible theory that's supported by circumstantial evidence that this is the case.

Nobody should be surprised if he's the next DC.

Also have to say that article I shared earlier about him got me a lot more interested in him.

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

There is definitely a plausible theory that's supported by circumstantial evidence that this is the case.

Nobody should be surprised if he's the next DC.

Also have to say that article I shared earlier about him got me a lot more interested in him.

I would think LaFleur probably made up his mind on Barry a month or more ago.  You'd think there would be some back channels to gauge interest.  With Leonhard passing up several opportunities it seems he's either happy doing what he's doing or he had a certain destination in mind. I think he will be our next DC if he wants it.  Hopefully it's already in the works.  

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1