Joe Barry HAS Been Fired, Who Do You Want Next?

Brit Pack

There is logic to Barry's system, at least against high-powered, explosive-play offenses that can better handle the blitz and can score quickly. The problem seemed to be confusion by the players on how to align, failures to get aligned correctly in given situations, lack of or delayed n-game adjustments, etc. So to me, I'm not so ready to trash this general type of system itself given this pass-happy era. My guess is that the failures had to do more with Barry's inconsistencies relative to week-to-week prep, in-game focus, etc. 

My point is, I'm inclined to think Lafleur should look not merely for the system he wants (whether it be a strict system, flexible system, etc), but also for a sharp, quick-thinking mind with consistent work habits, attention to detail, an ability to teach the players and get them to comprehend and buy in to whatever system he is running. 

Edited by DWhitehurst
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DWhitehurst said:

There is logic to Barry's system, at least against high-powered, explosive-play offenses that can better handle the blitz and can score quickly. The problem seemed to be confusion by the players on how to align, failures to get aligned correctly in given situations, lack of or delayed n-game adjustments, etc. So to me, I'm not so ready to trash this general type of system itself given this pass-happy era. My guess is that the failures had to do more with Barry's inconsistencies relative to week-to-week prep, in-game focus, etc. 

My point is, I'm inclined to think Lafleur should look not merely for the system he wants, but also for a sharp, quick-thinking mind with consistent work habits and attention to detail to run the system.

Need a DC who can run a multiple defense. No one strategy (much less base alignment) will work week-to-week. And you need the core concepts to be repeatable so the players can always been on the same page w/ communication and fast as a result of practice reps. Additionally need to leverage your players' strengths and mask their weaknesses. And you need the right "mood" guy who is both accountable and inspires some deep level of accountability and mindset in everyone on that side of the ball.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

I want a young up and comer. Someone that these guys want to run through a wall for. Defense is 75% attitude, 25% scheme 

Why wouldn't they run through a wall for an older more experienced coordinator with a proven track record?

Seems not smart to disqualify people based on age while ignoring skill , competence, and results.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Need a DC who can run a multiple defense. No one strategy (much less base alignment) will work week-to-week. And you need the core concepts to be repeatable so the players can always been on the same page w/ communication and fast as a result of practice reps. Additionally need to leverage your players' strengths and mask their weaknesses. And you need the right "mood" guy who is both accountable and inspires some deep level of accountability and mindset in everyone on that side of the ball.

All good points. My point which you echoed is that it can't just be about the best system, it also has to be about someone with the mind to run it (with timely adjustments) game to game, teach it, etc. Barry couldn't "coordinate". 

I nominate you for DC!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I'm not digging guys like Martindale who had serious issues with his head coach last year. Others have pointed to Vrabel's problems when he was a DC, like his defenses always sucked. Hoodys is too much of an alpha male at this point in his career. He would cast way too big a shadow over MLF. 

Until Jesse Minter is ruled out, I'm on that boat. 

Minter is probably going wherever Harbaugh goes.

9 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

Minter is probably going wherever Harbaugh goes.

Four people have mentioned that and I'm still not convinced. He's worked for Harbaugh for 2 years. He very well could but it shouldn't be a given. MLF should reach out to interview him. 

6 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

"[Brandon] Staley is not expected to be a leading candidate to replace Barry in Green Bay, according to sources familiar with LaFleur's plans." - Rob Demovsky

I sure hope he's right.  Don't want that ****in dweeb anywhere near this team.

3 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Wink Martindale's stats since 2018:

2023 NYG
Total Yards: 27th
Passing Yards: 19th
DVOA: 21st

2022 NYG
Total Yards: 25th
Passing Yards: 15th
DVOA: 30th

2021 Baltimore
Total Yards: 25th
Passing Yards: 32nd
DVOA: 28th

2020 Baltimore
Total Yards: 7th
Passing Yards: 6th
DVOA: 6th

2019 Baltimore
Total Yards: 4th
Passing Yards: 6th
DVOA: ?

2018 Baltimore
Total Yards: 1st
Passing Yards: 5th
DVOA: ?

So he had 3 excellent seasons in Baltimore and has been dog**** the past 3 seasons.  What reason do we have to believe he'll be as good as he used to be instead of how ****ty he's been recently?  Honest question, btw.

That brainy yet obnoxious little ****** Waldo maintained that DCs were toast in three years because offenses figured them out eventually.

So the smart play is to get an offense ready, have defensive talent on hand, and THEN hire an energetic young position coach from an accomplished defense.

Seems to be a fair number of interesting options knocking about. If I was a betting man LaFleur will lean on someone he's already familiar with. With how incestuous NFL coaching circles tend to be it would be a surprise for us to hire someone outside our circle. Perhaps LaFleur may feel secure enough in his job to make such an outside move. He did it before with Bisaccia (I think), maybe he will do the same again.

Connection with LaFleur either through previous working relationships, previous interviews and indirect links through coaches and friends he knows.
Jim Leonard (Free Agent) - Prior interview, from Wisconsin
Chris Harris (Titans) - Through Bowen & prior interview I believe
Shane Bowen (Titans) -  Worked together Titans. DC but I think he's free to interview and leave. Would be considered a "retread".
Marquand Manual (Jets) - Worked together Atlanta Falcons, through Saleh, Urbrich, Shanahan. Was not considered a coordinator candiate last time round and didn't get a sniff when the defensive back job opened up. Don't think LaFleur likes him.
Brandon Staley (Chargers) - Through McVay
Ejiro Evero (Carolina) - prior interview & worked together at Rams but is already a DC...lateral move may be blocked.
Johnny Holland (49ers) - Through Shanahan & worked together at Houston. Former Packer.
Aubrey Pleasant (Rams) - Worked together at Rams & Packers, Washington. He's from Wisconsin and both have history in the Michigan area.
Patrick Graham (Raiders) - through Pettine
Bobby Babich (Bills) - through Pettine
Jerry Gray (Atlanta) - Worked together at Packers
Jimmy Lake (Rams) - Through McVay
Mike Vrable (Titans) -  Former boss. Defensive coach but more culture guy than X and Os.
Chris Kiffin (Texans) - Prior interview, Bloodlines, Through Shanahan
Pat Fitzgerald (Free Agent) - Former HC interviewee, fall from grace makes him a possible interview option. Through Mark Murphy.
Marcus Freeman (Notre Dame) - Current Head Coach of Notre Dame, same team who LaFleur previously coached for.  Only 38 years old. Crossed paths with LaFleur way back in the day at Texans.
Chris Shula - Worked together at Rams, through McVay

No connection to LaFleur
Anthony Weaver (Ravens)
Chris Hewitt (Ravens)
Zach Orr (Ravens)
Jesse Minter (Michigan)
Al Harris (Cowboys)
Joe Whitt Jr (Cowboys)
Don Martindale (Giants)
Leslie Frazier (Bills)
Vic Fangio (Miami) - Like for like system implementation.
Michael Hodges (New Orleans)
Mike Caldwell (Jacksonville)
Glenn Schumann (Georgia) - Interviewed for Eagles DC gig just recently so he might be open to the possibility of coaching in the NFL.

Out of the running
Eric Henderson - Through McVay

If I had to filter through the list, the names that jump out to me the most is Jim Leonard, Chris Harris, Shane Bowen, Ejiro Evero, Aubrey Pleasant, Anthony Weaver and Jesse Minter.

Whilst Evero, Weaver and Minter are unlikely to happen, my eyes are somewhat drawn to Chris Harris and Jim Leonard. Can't ignore Shane Bowen either. 3 years as Titans DC and still only 37 years old.

Leonard was our first choice and we offered him the job which he turned down, he is very available this time round, that is if LaFleur still wants to stick with the 3-4 defence.

If I remember correctly Chris Harris impressed in 2021 defensive coordinator interviews but was probably deemed "too early" for him. Perhaps he will be ready now. He isn't a 3-4 guy I believe and one which I would consider an outside hire which makes him more interesting. A strong dark horse for me. My gut tells me he's the one to watch as the defensive coordinator search unfolds. However his "bosses" (Vrable & Bowen) are all available whom LaFleur had a prior working relationship with and is muddying the waters a bit.

To my surprise LaFleur did not interview any Baltimore Ravens coaches last time round maybe this time he will. In the last round of interviews he had Matt Burke, Ryan Nielsen and Ejiro Evero who are all now defensive coordinators so i'm optimistic he and the management will be able to identify and come up with a good list of interview candidates. I think LaFleur will try to be more open minded to "outside hire" as well as having a system change this time round. He missed out on good coaches due to "lack of experience" and/or wanting to stick to 3-4 defence. Hopefully he will try to learn from his mistakes this time round.

Barry was hired within 10 days of Pettine firing so we're looking at roughly 4th February for our new coordinator hiring.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DWhitehurst said:

All good points. My point which you echoed is that it can't just be about the best system, it also has to be about someone with the mind to run it (with timely adjustments) game to game, teach it, etc. Barry couldn't "coordinate". 

I nominate you for DC!!!

Yeah right, I'm already sad enough knowing MacReady doesn't like me anymore. I couldn't handle being hated by him 😞