Joe Barry HAS Been Fired, Who Do You Want Next?

Brit Pack

25 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Ravens were 25th in blitz percentage but #1 in sacks. That's the kind of defense I want. 

When I see this combination I think at least one of the following two things must be true:

(1) The front 4 are winning their 1v1s consistently (i.e. talented front 4) and generate their own quick sacks
(2) The back 4-6 are winning their m2m or zone matchups consistently (i.e. talented secondary) and force coverage sacks

I would like that, too.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

When I see this combination I think at least one of the following two things must be true:

(1) The front 4 are winning their 1v1s consistently (i.e. talented front 4) and generate their own quick sacks
(2) The back 4-6 are winning their m2m or zone matchups consistently (i.e. talented secondary) and force coverage sacks

I would like that, too.

I don't even need to see it.

That team has excellent off ball LB play.  And I feel like they control the LOS with their fronts.

Probably get into good down/distances with that combo and can play some real games on 3rd down.

I'd get excited if we could find another good ILB pairing with Quay while hiring anyone from the Ravens defensive staff.

Secondary wise, I feel like both Humphrey (Ravens) and Lattimore (Saints) are similar in that they get hurt a lot.  Yet the secondaries keep on playing well.  Another reason to like someone from that staff......

• Like 1

Packers personnel guy Milt Hendrickson was in Baltimore from 2005 to 2018. I wonder if MLF hired one of the Baltimore D guys, if he’d have useful insight into how to achieve the same kind of personnel success here that they have had there for seemingly decades 

Edited by Isherwood

The only thing I can see being an issue with Leonhard is that he turned down the job last time. Even then I doubt it is a real issue. I don't see MLF as being petty like that. I really hope it is Leonhard we hire. I also wouldn't mind a clean sweep of the whole defensive staff. Lets air out the room a bit. 

Edited by Toddfather
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

The only thing I can see being an issue with Leonhard is that he turned down the job last time. Even then I doubt it is a real issue. I don't see MLF as being petty like that. I really hope it is Leonhard we hire. I also wouldn't mind a clean sweep of the whole defensive staff. Lets air out the room a bit. 

that's the million dollar question

IF it's the case that Leonhard ranked the jobs as:

(1) UW HC

(2) GB DC

(3) anything else

and he clearly and openly communicated that to MLF, we should hope MLF doesn't hold anything against him and would be open to working with him.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

So, you want an edge.  Got it.  Rex has it in spades.

I'd worry, very much, that the game passed him by and that he has too much edge and that would cause conflict with MLF.

Ideally you find a younger guy that has kept up with the game who won't cause conflict.  It shouldn't be all that hard to find that kind of guy.  But I don't feel at all that Rex is that guy.

Ryan doesnt fit or any number of reasons IMO.

1. The "game has passed him by" theory. My uninformed opinion on this is that it has. He's been parked and outta coaching at any level for what seems like awhile now. Not a great demand for the guy around the league. 
2. The "persona" issue. He's an upfront/newsy kinda guy. He'd completely dominate MLF and his toned down approach.
3. His comments about Love.

I dont know his defensive schemes....but because of the above...I dont need to know them personally.

16 hours ago, incognito_man said:

There is definitely a plausible theory that's supported by circumstantial evidence that this is the case.

Nobody should be surprised if he's the next DC.

Also have to say that article I shared earlier about him got me a lot more interested in him.

Chris Hewitt, Passing Game Coordinator/Secondary Coach of the Ravens seems intriguing. Been in the ravens system since 2012 working his way up. Bal has had outstanding defenses during his time, including top ranked secondary's. Would bring an aggressive, attacking style defense. Imagine what he could do with our secondary. JA would probably love him.

• Like 3

Evero out of the running for HC in CAR

have to imagine he'd be interested in entertaining other DC options now

2023 - Carolina DC - 25th DVOA (previous team, Denver ranked 30th year after his departure)

2022 - Denver DC - 13th DVOA (Carolina ranked 20th DVOA year before his arrival)

2021 - LAR Secondary coach and passing game coordinator - 3rd DVOA (Denver ranked 21st DVOA year before his arrival)

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Evero out of the running for HC in CAR

have to imagine he'd be interested in entertaining other DC options now

2023 - Carolina DC - 25th DVOA (previous team, Denver ranked 30th year after his departure)

2022 - Denver DC - 13th DVOA (Carolina ranked 20th DVOA year before his arrival)

2021 - LAR Secondary coach and passing game coordinator - 3rd DVOA (Denver ranked 21st DVOA year before his arrival)

I want to be excited about him, but his stats are underwhelming. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

Is there a defensive version of LaFleur's offense? Multiple fronts, shifts coverage/blitz deception, forcing matchups?

Who runs that kind of defense well? Philosophically it would make sense.

That's the Ryan 3-4 system. Really what Baltimore still runs. The 4-3 version is probably the old Eagles Jim Johnson defense, which Spags and McDermott are understudies of. Saleh 's hybrid defense which mixes what he learned under Quinn in Seattle and Fangio in SF is very versatile too. 

Basically any candidate who has multiple influences on his coaching style, not just one. It's why Larry Foote has intrigued me, played under Cowher and Tomlin in Pitt back when the 3-4 was not the norm but an exception. That was an attacking defense. Now he's been mentored by Todd Bowles and that attacking 4-3 that has influences from Jim Johnson and Chuck Pagono, who is a line of the Ryan branch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I would like that, too.

(3) a combination of 1 & 2! 

Those two stud ILB's, who do not have to come off the field, are a big factor in all of this. San Francisco has the same thing.

Edited by Old Guy

2 hours ago, StatKing said:

I just want a DC with some edge to them. Right or wrong Rex isn't afraid to speak his mind. We got a lot of draft capital on a defense that plays with a weak mindset.

Problem being with Rex .. he isn't afraid to speak his mind and then shut up.  The guy loves to hear himself talk .. endlessly.  He may know football but not sure the Packers can put up with him. 

1 hour ago, Isherwood said:

Packers personnel guy Milt Hendrickson was in Baltimore from 2005 to 2018. I wonder if MLF hired one of the Baltimore D guys, if he’d have useful insight into how to achieve the same kind of personnel success here that they have had there for seemingly decades 

This is a good point. I forget if he was here when Gutey brought in Zadarius or not.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

That's the Ryan 3-4 system. Really what Baltimore still runs. The 4-3 version is probably the old Eagles Jim Johnson defense, which Spags and McDermott are understudies of. Saleh 's hybrid defense which mixes what he learned under Quinn in Seattle and Fangio in SF is very versatile too. 

Basically any candidate who has multiple influences on his coaching style, not just one. It's why Larry Foote has intrigued me, played under Cowher and Tomlin in Pitt back when the 3-4 was not the norm but an exception. That was an attacking defense. Now he's been mentored by Todd Bowles and that attacking 4-3 that has influences from Jim Johnson and Chuck Pagono, who is a line of the Ryan branch.

Loved the zone blitz back in those Pitt days. Very well executed but they needed a bit more vet presence to run that exotic stuff no?