Joe Barry HAS Been Fired, Who Do You Want Next?

Brit Pack

37 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I also don't assume that Minter would automatically follow Harbaugh. He's his own man pursuing his own ambitions and is probably highly sought after. His decision potentially has very little to do with what Harbaugh did.

lol it’s the complete opposite. He has no NFL ties except with the Ravens.  If MacDonald gets a HC gig elsewhere (very likely), then maybe Minter succeeds him in Baltimore.  That’s not exactly promised tho. They might promote from within. 

Taking the unknown route with a different franchise + coaching staff that he has no relationship with when he’s already got a fruitful one with Harbaugh that literally just resulted in a national championship together would certainly be a strange choice.  Carving his own path will come soon enough if he can establish the Chargers as a legitimate defense again.  Then the HC offers will come whether NFL or college. 

This is a layup for Minter.  

6 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I would think LaFleur probably made up his mind on Barry a month or more ago.  You'd think there would be some back channels to gauge interest.  With Leonhard passing up several opportunities it seems he's either happy doing what he's doing or he had a certain destination in mind. I think he will be our next DC if he wants it.  Hopefully it's already in the works.  

Wouldn't that be something?!  Northern Wisconsin small town boy who was a  Wisconsin Badger a 3 time all American/all Big ten conference player.  Went on to play 10 years in the NFL as an undrafted free agent.  Became Wisconsin's D coordinator in 2017 .. from there to 2021 he had: 2 - #1 ranked defenses, a 5th, an 8th and a 41st in total defense.  There's a lot to like .. young, aggressive, top ranked D's and Nfl experience.  MLF could do much worse than him for his choice.

31 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

lol it’s the complete opposite. He has no NFL ties except with the Ravens.  If MacDonald gets a HC gig elsewhere (very likely), then maybe Minter succeeds him in Baltimore.  That’s not exactly promised tho. They might promote from within. 

Taking the unknown route with a different franchise + coaching staff that he has no relationship with when he’s already got a fruitful one with Harbaugh that literally just resulted in a national championship together would certainly be a strange choice.  Carving his own path will come soon enough if he can establish the Chargers as a legitimate defense again.  Then the HC offers will come whether NFL or college. 

Weird strong opinion to have 

42 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Again? When were they a legitimate defense in the past 10 years. They have always been offensive dependent and there is no guarantee they have enough talent on defense to become respectable. 

I do believe Minter winds up in San Diego, but it's no guarantee he can turn them into a respectable defense. 

I'm feeling more and more like it's gonna be Leonhard and that's going to end well for us.

@beekay414 @Packerraymond what, if anything, can we glean from Leonhards recent roles and what, of anything, should the takeaway be? Did he improve the defensive staff/team he joined?

Also, why didn't he take a different coaching gig? Is he like a big on loyalty guy and didn't want to just do a year or two somewhere and is looking for a place to commit to longer?

Edited by incognito_man

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It's Marrone's job to lose IMO.

Are you talking about Sherrone Moore's job to lose at Michigan? He's the OC and odds-on favorite to get the Michigan gig. Those are the rumors around here. 

Sounds like MIchigan could announce Moore as soon as today. 

Sources - Michigan focuses coaching search on Sherrone Moore - ESPN

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I do believe Minter winds up in San Diego, but it's no guarantee he can turn them into a respectable defense. 

That is a completely different conversation than where he is headed. 

25 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

When he gets there, he's gonna have to turn around and head North.

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yeah....not happening. IMO he's yesterday's news.

Rex Ryan is an idiot, just like his brother and father. He's on TV because they know he will say stupid ****, which he does on a weeiky basis. Also, look at where we were in the season when we was popping off, 2-4. He ate crow like so many of these bloviating, anti-Love dickheads, both on TV and on this forum. 

11 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

That is a completely different conversation than where he is headed. 

Actually, it does, your comment was him being able to carve his own path in the NFL, IF he turns the Chargers into a good defense. IF he's smart, the odds are better in Green Bay, we have more talent on defense to work with. He's very likely to flame out in SD, because of the talent level. You can give me big names they have on defense, but most are on the way down from a career standpoint. 

The whole relationship deal is a bit overblown IMO. IF MLF is going to leave him alone to run his defense, that's all he needs. 

Having said all of this, I'd be shocked if he's not in SD with Harbaugh. 

Edited by Old Guy