the good the bad the not so ugly vs the giants

BackinBlack

47 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yeh, that's a good point you make. Maybe we had a few tricks which we kept up our sleeves for future as we didn't need them, makes no sense to open everything up for scrutiny. We jumped out to a big lead and just played sensible without taking huge risks, last thing you'd want is for your rookie QB to get ahead of himself and throw a couple picks giving them any kind of momentum.

Really impressed with the job OC and QB did given they only had a few days preparation but it seems like we went with what O'Connell was comfortable with, he looked at ease and in control and the occasion didn't look too big for him. Looked after the ball and made sensible plays. Maybe he needed a bit more touch on a few passes but overall, given they didn't have a full week even it was, I would say, an accomplished performance without blowing our socks off.

He’s a 4th round rookie got to look to bring him along slowly. Going for the throat with the bomb to Tucker after the pick was a great call.  

Edited by Dessie
  • Like 2

Full disclosure - I'm viewing these remaining games through the lens of what to do at HC and QB going forward. 

Have to love the win and the vibe post game. McDaniels had to be fuming somewhere watching that unfold. 

Granted it was the Giants and they lost Jones early on, but the Raiders did what they should have done and buried a bad team. 

I thought Aiden was okay. Good command of the offense. Missed some throws, hit a nice deep ball. Lot of work to do and not sure I see a franchise guy blooming in him. He had it easy yesterday. Run game had them on schedule. Lot of 3rd and shorts. The test will be tougher going forward, but good start.

Nothing much else to gauge with coach AP. They did what they were suppose to do, played with some fire and put the game away. The emotional surge was a given. Is that a one week thing or can they build on that next week?

Tip of the hat to Patrick Graham. burying a bad offense. 

----------------------

Grades (scale 1-10)

Aiden O'Connell - 6 - Was kept on schedule. Made some routine throws, missed a couple others. Didn't take any sacks. Missed a couple throws including a potential TD to Meyers. Ball placement on a couple slants needed to be better. 

Antonio Pierce - 8 - On a short week, fueled up emotionally and buried a weak opponent. Mostly clean game, not a ton of coaching decisions he had to make this week. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Full disclosure - I'm viewing these remaining games through the lens of what to do at HC and QB going forward. 

Have to love the win and the vibe post game. McDaniels had to be fuming somewhere watching that unfold. 

Granted it was the Giants and they lost Jones early on, but the Raiders did what they should have done and buried a bad team. 

I thought Aiden was okay. Good command of the offense. Missed some throws, hit a nice deep ball. Lot of work to do and not sure I see a franchise guy blooming in him. He had it easy yesterday. Run game had them on schedule. Lot of 3rd and shorts. The test will be tougher going forward, but good start.

Nothing much else to gauge with coach AP. They did what they were suppose to do, played with some fire and put the game away. The emotional surge was a given. Is that a one week thing or can they build on that next week?

Tip of the hat to Patrick Graham. burying a bad offense. 

----------------------

Grades (scale 1-10)

Aiden O'Connell - 6 - Was kept on schedule. Made some routine throws, missed a couple others. Didn't take any sacks. Missed a couple throws including a potential TD to Meyers. Ball placement on a couple slants needed to be better. 

Antonio Pierce - 8 - On a short week, fueled up emotionally and buried a weak opponent. Mostly clean game, not a ton of coaching decisions he had to make this week. 

I don't know that AOC has the physical traits to be more than a mid level starter at best. Which is why I'd still draft a QB high even if he plays well. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Yep. It was a bad opponent we treated like a bad opponent. No need for people to discount the win just because they were bad. We played like they were bad. I call that a job well done. 

As for Aiden, I'm firmly TBD with him. First real outing for him and the OC, nothing went wrong and it was a good opponent to beat up on and build confidence. Will he be "the guy"? Who knows. Probably not. But nothing I saw yesterday tells me he can't be, just that he probably won't be. I'd be surprised if he didn't look better each week (normal rookie lumps notwithstanding). 

Basically, nobody did anything to embarass themselves yesterday. No jobs were necessarily solidified, but everyone looking for a job easily bought themselves some goodwill. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't know that AOC has the physical traits to be more than a mid level starter at best. Which is why I'd still draft a QB high even if he plays well. 

Agree. Everything looked good this week facing little pressure and the team being on schedule running the ball. I think he did some nice things recognizing defenses and making checks. Certainly a smart kid.

Question going forward is what does it look like when he's forced into 3rd and longs, playing from behind, etc. 

• Like 3

I thought AOC did well, if Renfrow or Mayer gain an extra yard, he has 1 or 2 TDs, instead Jacobs punched them in from the 1 or 2. 
but im still taking a QB in the first. 

going from incapable qb to capable qb was a huge plus, but going from capable to legit QB will be another massive jump too. 

Rooting for AOC to keep improving and give us hope, but then put him against a rookie to compete in camp

• Like 6

Looks like Wilson is getting more comfortable every week and making more and more of an impact. Him and Adam Butler look like keepers. Koonce also had some nice pressure. Still need a few guys on defense but this is a **** better unit. Big ups to PG. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

I thought AOC did well, if Renfrow or Mayer gain an extra yard, he has 1 or 2 TDs, instead Jacobs punched them in from the 1 or 2. 
but im still taking a QB in the first. 

going from incapable qb to capable qb was a huge plus, but going from capable to legit QB will be another massive jump too. 

Rooting for AOC to keep improving and give us hope, but then put him against a rookie to compete in camp

Not to mention Meyers dropped a balls which would have been a good chunk of yardage + higher comp %, but that's just box score scouting.

• Like 1

The OL did such a damn good job imo. Dexter Lawrence is one of the few elite interior guys. I rarely heard his name all night? Thibodeaux had 8.5 sacks coming into yesterday, more than Maxx at that point. He was even coming off an elite 3 sack performance. Totally shut those two down.

Not only was the pass-pro great (No sacks and not much pressure overall), but the OL was actually creating some holes for JJ. 

• Like 3

We have the best Kicker and Punter combo in the league. This is even better than the Jano/Lechler days imo and that says a lot. Carlson is so damn automatic and a huge leg. It looks like he's over the groin injury which hampered him earlier this season. And Cole just had the best Punting game of all time arguably.

We're missing that uber elite returner but overall our ST unit is elite.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The OL did such a damn good job imo. Dexter Lawrence is one of the few elite interior guys. I rarely heard his name all night? Thibodeaux had 8.5 sacks coming into yesterday, more than Maxx at that point. He was even coming off an elite 3 sack performance. Totally shut those two down.

Not only was the pass-pro great (No sacks and not much pressure overall), but the OL was actually creating some holes for JJ. 

Yes, OLine was excellent and the much maligned Van Roten I thought was excellent. We had the edge in the trenches all night on both sides of the ball.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1