Week 10: VIKINGS (5-4) vs. Saints (5-4)

swede700

8 minutes ago, HEYPAUL! said:

ATL defense is top 10 on ypg allowed 

YPG is the worst statistic to ever use to try to justify the effectiveness of a defense.  The Falcons are a good defense, but without Grady especially, they aren't a top-10 defense.  At best, they are a middle of the pack defense.  The Saints are a far superior defense to Atlanta.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

YPG is the worst statistic to ever use to try to justify the effectiveness of a defense.  The Falcons are a good defense, but without Grady especially, they aren't a top-10 defense.  At best, they are a middle of the pack defense.  The Saints are a far superior defense to Atlanta.

I never said they were a “top 10 defense” big guy.

What stat am I allowed to used to compare the defenses then?

which stat can enlighten me to how the Saints are “far superior”. Even if I look at a PFF ranking, their D lines are ranking close to the same.

Edited by HEYPAUL!

14 minutes ago, HEYPAUL! said:

which stat can enlighten me to how the Saints are “far superior”. Even if I look at a PFF ranking, their D lines are ranking close to the same.

You indicated that they were top-10 in YPG allowed.  If you didn't intend for that to mean that they were a top-10 defense, then I have absolutely no idea what your intention was, because you didn't make it clear.

D-Lines are the not the same as defense.  The Falcons have an outstanding run defense (which likely is a credit to their DL), but their pass defense is awful (bottom 5 in the NFL), while the Saints' pass defense is top-10 and their run defense is middle of the pack.  That alone shows the significant difference in their defenses overall. 

59 minutes ago, HEYPAUL! said:

It's hard to tell in how much good faith you're asking this question, but raw stats like ypg or ppg are noisy and don't tend to paint a good picture.

This is because they are descriptive and only tell you want has happened in the broadest strokes.

Ratings and stats like DVOA, EPA, points per drive and success rate do a better job of prescribing the actual performance of a team and setting expectations for what can happen going forward.

To that point, the falcons are 25th in defensive DVOA and the Saints are 9th (Vikings are 10th).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

It's hard to tell in how much good faith you're asking this question, but raw stats like ypg or ppg are noisy and don't tend to paint a good picture.

This is because they are descriptive and only tell you want has happened in the broadest strokes.

Ratings and stats like DVOA, EPA, points per drive and success rate do a better job of prescribing the actual performance of a team and setting expectations for what can happen going forward.

To that point, the falcons are 25th in defensive DVOA and the Saints are 9th (Vikings are 10th).

Yeah, I think PPG is better than YPG since the whole point is to score more than your opponent, but PPG doesn't always give a good reflection of how good a defense is due to various factors that could skew it.

DVOA is at least does a decent job of trying to clear out of that noise.

On 11/8/2023 at 10:23 AM, swede700 said:

Apparently, Dobbs is the only one in our offense that can run, so he's the only one they need to worry about...unless Ty Chandler gets unleashed. 

I like Chandler more than most. I’m hoping for a few bigger, explosive plays. He may be a liability on 3rd downs (primarily with blitz pick ups), but I believe less so with Dobbs at the helm. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Its anniversary time, so I probably won't be able to catch this game until Tuesday!

Shoulda got married in May or June!   

I admit I learned a hard lesson, my wife's B-Day is mid- September, right in tge heart of moose season . . . If only I prioritized correctly 20 years ago!  🤣

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Shoulda got married in May or June!   

I admit I learned a hard lesson, my wife's B-Day is mid- September, right in tge heart of moose season . . . If only I prioritized correctly 20 years ago!  🤣

My 2nd wedding anniversary is this week and my sons 1st birthday is next week lol

• Like 1

Well I guess Carson Wentz is not getting paid his old contract amount by his new team he signs with.  

"He’s due $732,500 for the remainder of this season as the Rams’ new back-up QB."

That is not that bad, I would have gambled on that just to get him in the building and see what he can do.  But yes when you get Dobbs for a similar amount and he has actually played this year and produced they made the right choice with that.  Will be curious what Wentz has left, honestly not looking forward to Mannion getting in if Dobbs goes down, he should just be a coach already but sticks around in the league because he knows the plays...  Clearly it is more about knowing all the plays, look at Dobbs and what he did with so little information on play calling last week.  

Also is nuts Tanner Morgan is getting a shot in the league at all, but a local guy and he is cheap for a practice squad dude.  Was on the Gophers coaching staff before coming over to the practice squad then leaving then coming back again.  Sweet gig for him though to go back and forth and know he has that coaching thing as an in when the NFL does not workout.  

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

I think this game will come down to how well we can get our run game going, including Dobbs, and getting our TEs and RBs involved in the pass game. I'm not expecting much from our WRs.

Their defense is great, but its not 1985 Bears great. This is tough matchup but I trust KOC to have the team prepared.

Let's go get another big W and moving forward! Skol!