Who makes the playoffs in the NFC?

49ersfan

2 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

The Vikings losing to the Bears was HUGE for the Rams last night. Packers beat us and we would lose conference record tie breaker to Minnesota, while we would have the tiebreaker over Seattle.

We need Seattle to lose to the Cowboys/Niners/Eagles or if they somehow win one of those, drop another game. Seems very likely that they lose at least another three games.

Also need the Vikings to lose another three games - not sure if I'd say likely, but definitely possible.

Then we need to beat the Browns, Commanders, Saints and Giants - also not likely, but definitely possible.

Look, we are giving Houston the #7 seed in the NFC this season. @ET80deserves it.

• Like 2

Packers getting half their defensive starters back this week. Jaire, Savage, Ford, Stokes and Campbell. Aaron Jones also avoided major injury and is week to week. It's very realistic they go 5-1 down the stretch with their weak schedule and young guys on offense finally gelling. 

The Seahawks are free falling. If the Rams beat the possible Joe Flacco led Browns they will have a 55% chance of making the playoffs. 

Not only that but if they win they will be tied with the Seahawks and own the tiebreaker. Not too bad for a team that was (3-6) weeks ago sitting with the 6th spot in the draft. 

• Like 1

At this point, it seems likely that Philadelphia ends up as the #1 seed while Dallas ends up as the #2 seed.  San Francisco and Detroit are likely the #2 and #3 seeds.  I'd give San Francisco the edge as the #2 seed.  One of Atlanta or New Orleans wins the 4th seed, and Week 17 could end up deciding who makes the playoffs.  But I'll give the edge to Atlanta for now given they're 3-0 in their division.

1.) Philadelphia
2.) San Francisco
3.) Detroit
4.) Atlanta
5.) Dallas

And that's where it gets tricky.  Going into his weekend, Seattle is 6 and Minnesota is 7.  Seattle's schedule does them no favors with games against San Francisco and Philadelphia in back-to-back weeks.  They've got a winnable schedule past that with Tennessee, Pittsburgh, and Arizona.  I think 2-3 is probably their record, which would put them at 8-9.  Minnesota has two very winnable games against Las Vegas and Cincinnati, but both are road games followed by 3 divisional games in a road including 2 against the Lions.  I could see this Vikings team going anywhere between 0-5 and 5-0, but I think they settle in around 2-3 and end up 8-9 like Seattle.  Week 17 could end up being a free game if Detroit has locked up their playoff seed.  The Rams have four games against teams currently in the playoff mix but only 2 of them are the road.  I think there's a decent chance they lose more than they win, but 3-3 seems like a safe bet and would put them at 8-9.  After Kansas City, Green Bay has arguably the "easiest" remaining schedule with no teams with a winning record.  Their hardest opponent is Minnesota who clearly isn't the same team without Kirk Cousins.  I think 4-2 is probably a pretty good finish assuming Jordan Love doesn't turn back into what he was after his first few weeks and that would put them at 9-8.   New Orleans has 5 very winnable games with 3 inside the division.  This seems like 3-3 is probably what happens, which puts them at 8-9.  Right now, Green Bay own H2H leads over LA Rams and New Orleans.  Minnesota currently owns H2H over New Orleans, Atlanta, and Green Bay.  LA Rams have H2H over Seattle.

If I had to take a guess, 6 will be Green Bay and 7 will be either LA Rams or Minnesota.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

At this point, it seems likely that Philadelphia ends up as the #1 seed while Dallas ends up as the #2 seed.  San Francisco and Detroit are likely the #2 and #3 seeds.  I'd give San Francisco the edge as the #2 seed.  One of Atlanta or New Orleans wins the 4th seed, and Week 17 could end up deciding who makes the playoffs.  But I'll give the edge to Atlanta for now given they're 3-0 in their division.

1.) Philadelphia
2.) San Francisco
3.) Detroit
4.) Atlanta
5.) Dallas

And that's where it gets tricky.  Going into his weekend, Seattle is 6 and Minnesota is 7.  Seattle's schedule does them no favors with games against San Francisco and Philadelphia in back-to-back weeks.  They've got a winnable schedule past that with Tennessee, Pittsburgh, and Arizona.  I think 2-3 is probably their record, which would put them at 8-9.  Minnesota has two very winnable games against Las Vegas and Cincinnati, but both are road games followed by 3 divisional games in a road including 2 against the Lions.  I could see this Vikings team going anywhere between 0-5 and 5-0, but I think they settle in around 2-3 and end up 8-9 like Seattle.  Week 17 could end up being a free game if Detroit has locked up their playoff seed.  The Rams have four games against teams currently in the playoff mix but only 2 of them are the road.  I think there's a decent chance they lose more than they win, but 3-3 seems like a safe bet and would put them at 8-9.  After Kansas City, Green Bay has arguably the "easiest" remaining schedule with no teams with a winning record.  Their hardest opponent is Minnesota who clearly isn't the same team without Kirk Cousins.  I think 4-2 is probably a pretty good finish assuming Jordan Love doesn't turn back into what he was after his first few weeks and that would put them at 9-8.   New Orleans has 5 very winnable games with 3 inside the division.  This seems like 3-3 is probably what happens, which puts them at 8-9.  Right now, Green Bay own H2H leads over LA Rams and New Orleans.  Minnesota currently owns H2H over New Orleans, Atlanta, and Green Bay.  LA Rams have H2H over Seattle.

If I had to take a guess, 6 will be Green Bay and 7 will be either LA Rams or Minnesota.

Going to ask a dumb question bc not sure how to google it effectively and you seem like a graduate school professor on this topic.

If PHI were to lose to SF and DAL in upcoming weeks, are they still #1 via tie-breakers? Presumably not over SF, right? Are they still ahead of DAL in that scenario?

edit - assuming DAL / SF win out obv

Edited by Soggust

3 hours ago, Soggust said:

Going to ask a dumb question bc not sure how to google it effectively and you seem like a graduate school professor on this topic.

If PHI were to lose to SF and DAL in upcoming weeks, are they still #1 via tie-breakers? Presumably not over SF, right? Are they still ahead of DAL in that scenario?

I don't know about graduate professor, but I've stared at the tiebreakers enough.  H2H is the first tiebreaker, so if San Francisco wins they'd have the H2H over Philadelphia which would make them the #1 seed if they ended up with the same record after beating Philadelphia.  Assuming Dallas also beats Philadelphia, they'd be 1-1 against each other, it'd go down to divisional records which both teams would be 3-1 at that point.  Beyond that, it goes to common games (AFC East) which the Eagles are currently 3-1 while Dallas is currently 2-0.  So it'd come down to how Dallas does against Buffalo and Miami.  If they go 2-0 they win the division, if they go 0-2 then the Eagles win the division.  If they go 1-1, it goes conference records which right now Philadelphia is 6-0 while Dallas is 6-3, so Philadelphia likely has a big enough lead not to lose it.  Dallas would need Philadelphia to lose a 3rd game in the NFC to tie their W/L record in the NFC.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2023 at 1:09 PM, SteelKing728 said:

Look, we are giving Houston the #7 seed in the NFC this season. @ET80deserves it.

I sure as hell don't care for us to have it. We certainly don't want to give more life to the current Packers regime. The Rams would be a dead egg in these playoffs. Stroud in the playoffs (if they were the AFC's 8th seed) would be better than any of this. 

tbh, making a third wild card team was a mistake. +2 wild cards was already a little rich. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Soggust said:

SF is the #1 seed if all teams had a 14-3 record since the 49ers would of beaten both of us H2H.

I do know the Eagles win the NFCE outright though if tied record wise with the Cowboys at seasons end. 

3rd tie Breaker,  They lost to AZ if we are 14-3 it means we beat the Cardinals week 17.

• Like 1

If the Falcons win this week, they'll be 7-6 with ownership of all the tiebreakers in the division and the best the No. 2 team in the division can be is the Saints at 6-7. If the Saints lose, then the Falcons are 7-6 with all the tiebreakers, and would have the two second place teams at 5-8. BAsically, would just need to win 2 more -or- have the Saints and Buccs each lose 2 more games. Have to win this week though.

12 hours ago, scar988 said:

If the Falcons win this week, they'll be 7-6 with ownership of all the tiebreakers in the division and the best the No. 2 team in the division can be is the Saints at 6-7. If the Saints lose, then the Falcons are 7-6 with all the tiebreakers, and would have the two second place teams at 5-8. BAsically, would just need to win 2 more -or- have the Saints and Buccs each lose 2 more games. Have to win this week though.

That's a rough loss. Now you need Green Bay to lose.

But they are for real. The realest real of all real life.

• Like 1