Watson done for season

MWil23

18 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

Lance didn't get 230 million guaranteed...  so leave the chat

17 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Trey Lance is making how much money?

Lance is gone, his bed is made. Watson still has the ability to positive impact the browns

Also, the contract is separate than the trade, tbh. That may be the worst contract of all time

He’s a terrible dude so I don’t feel bad for him the least. But this sucks. It’s awful that we don’t have a Quarterback option and the deadline has passed. Andrew Berry really blew it trading Dobbs and then not making a deadline move. This team was honestly set up to make a run this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

So he wasn't lying about being hurt?

Nope.

I mentioned it somewhere, but when Watson was cleared to play and felt pain, and then tried to ramp up throwing and felt pain a couple of weeks later - that was the classic path of unrecognized Rotator Cuff (RC) tear.    It was only after 3+ weeks that the Browns announced the first MRI had shown a "minor" tear. 

So here's the thing - MRI is nowhere near as accurate at diagnosing RC injuries (unlike with knees/elbows).   It's how Andrew Luck & other players like Chad Pennington played with chronic injuries and didn't get it fixed until later - and found way more damage than initially seen on MRI.   This is playing out exactly the same way. 

The thing with glenoid fractures - they are only seen with 1 of 2 scenarios - severe acute trauma (shoulder popping out Martin Riggs style in Lethal Weapon), or with pre-existing shoulder instability - like a RC tear that's getting worse.     Now, if there was a play on Sunday which Watson's shoulder was driven to the ground and it popped out completely, maybe it's separate.  But if it was a much more innocent play, it's far more likely that the RC was unstable enough both the force of said play and the unstable joint led to the fracture.   

How ppl will know - if when they go in with a scope (or open repair, but scope is being favored of late), they do a glenoid repair AND do a RC repair.   I would note that the Browns took 3+ weeks before disclosing the original MRI injury being seen, and they could cite HIPPA laws and be super tight-lipped and say "surgery's a success, expect Watson to be ready in offseason, and play Week 1 2024 no restrictions".   I would only advise expectations be tempered - because CLE's org has a lot of reasons to downplay the RC injury, given how they managed the injury the last 2 months.

It's one thing to have a shoulder injury, and a MRI that's clean, and then Watson gradually back to regular play.   That's the normal path with minor injuries.   The real warning flag was when Watson felt pain the 2nd time they ramped him back up (that was when they finally disclosed there was a "minor" RC injury on original MRI)....with shoulders, MRI's are known to miss/underestimate injuries.   The gold standard with RC injury is arthroscopy - but in doing so, you commit a player to miss 2+ weeks recovering from the scope alone.   And the kicker - with RC injuries, there's no "minor" repair you can do while you're there (unlike knees, where you can do a "cleanup", trim a meniscus, remove floating particles, etc.).    So that's undoubtedly why CLE went this route....but it's also very fair to question why each time Watson felt more pain with more activity (like pitchers do when throwing off flat ground, simulated games, etc.) - the Browns staff didn't raise more bells.

Maybe Watson was just unlucky and had his shoulder popped out on BAL Martin Riggs-style.   But the far more likely scenario is the RC injury was far worse than initially presented.  And yes, playing on it definitely can worsen the damage.   What CLE reveals post-operation (and again, they have no obligation to release every detail, so you have to take it with a grain of salt), will be telling - if they announce the RC repair, well, a big F to the medical & training staff here.

PS - I feel bad for Browns fans - they did nothing to deserve this.   But Watson's "I did nothing wrong" PR campaign post-return (um, yes you did - I say that as someone who didn't think it warranted a lifetime ban, but def was a perv, come on) and CLE backing him with a fully guaranteed 230M...well, sometimes you really do think karma is real.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 8

8 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I would feel sorry for Browns fans, but some of them still defend this clown, so I don't feel sorry for some of y'all, but I do feel sorry for guys like @MWil23 You can hop on the Lions bandwagon for the next 4 years.

Berry TRIPLED DOWN.

All in on Watson.

Traded Josh Dobbs.

Refused to make a trade at the deadline for a capable backup.

Its completely indefensible to do all of that.

Instead, we are going to see this team miss the playoffs, watch Stefanski be the fall guy for the front office and owner, and go belly up 2024-2026.

And after OSU loses next weekend, my football season will be done just after Thanksgiving.

Wake me up in 2027.

• Like 4

Just now, MWil23 said:

Berry TRIPLED DOWN.

All in on Watson.

Traded Josh Dobbs.

Refused to make a trade at the deadline for a capable backup.

Its completely indefensible to do all of that.

Instead, we are going to see this team miss the playoffs, watch Stefanski be the fall guy for the front office and owner, and go belly up 2024-2026.

And after OSU loses next weekend, my football season will be done just after Thanksgiving.

Wake me up in 2027.

We wouldn’t be Browns fans if we didn’t go all in on the negative schtick when something goes wrong.

• Like 1