2024 WR Talk

nicfre2011

33 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

If it's to break ties then sure, Puka scored 5.17.  Give me a skilled receiver over a raw athlete anytime. 

I was thinking of the drills more in their cases. I agree wholeheartedly about preferring receivers that already play the position well. But upside is a thing. And when the upside hits, you get DK Metcalf.

7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I was thinking of the drills more in their cases. I agree wholeheartedly about preferring receivers that already play the position well. But upside is a thing. And when the upside hits, you get DK Metcalf.

Metcalf was pretty productive at Ole Miss, definitely not an unknown. Weirdly his athletic profile put teams off because his agilities were so bad. I guess what I’m saying is that receiver is such a technical position in the NFL that people forget that even ‘deep threats’ aren’t just guys who run fast. They have to learn how to release, track a football, stop and start, hand fight and full speed, know intuitively when to look up etc.

If a guy blows up his combine but lacks fundamental technical and savvy, I wouldn’t bet on that guy if he was a receiver. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Metcalf was pretty productive at Ole Miss, definitely not an unknown. Weirdly his athletic profile put teams off because his agilities were so bad. I guess what I’m saying is that receiver is such a technical position in the NFL that people forget that even ‘deep threats’ aren’t just guys who run fast. They have to learn how to release, track a football, stop and start, hand fight and full speed, know intuitively when to look up etc.

If a guy blows up his combine but lacks fundamental technical and savvy, I wouldn’t bet on that guy if he was a receiver. 

DK also had injury concerns, right? Weird case of a guy not being able to stay healthy in college but being very durable in the NFL.

• Like 1

I am sure I will never forget how hard I went on the DK-will-fail train. Largely because he didn’t show a lot of route running savvy in his tape; it was like 99% go routes. I also thought he benefited from AJ being on the same team and taking the defense’s focus.

AJ was WR1 for me that year. I was certain that DK was just a height/weight/speed freak, and nothing else.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

lmao.  I think i'm in bizarro world sometimes.

Do you mean McMillan?  He's the one who strikes me as a "very poor man's" Jefferson.

I feel like these Washington receivers are going to ultimately kill us all.

No, I mean Polk.

10 hours ago, Daniel said:

I am sure I will never forget how hard I went on the DK-will-fail train. Largely because he didn’t show a lot of route running savvy in his tape; it was like 99% go routes. I also thought he benefited from AJ being on the same team and taking the defense’s focus.

AJ was WR1 for me that year. I was certain that DK was just a height/weight/speed freak, and nothing else.

To be fair, Denzel Mims fit a very similar profile soon after, 'fell' to the second and he basically not rosterable as a player. Thats what makes the draft hard, no easy rules (outside of being an NFL calibur athlete).

• Like 2

Just curious, did something happen with Keon Coleman?  Now, I'll out right admit that I've only ever watched his highlight tape, but month or two ago a lot of mock drafts had him as the 3rd wr off the board and a top 12 pick.  Most of the mocks today have him as a late 1st or even early 2nd.  Did something cause the drop, or is it just normal pre-draft analysis causing some to rise some to fall?

44 minutes ago, prob2236 said:

Just curious, did something happen with Keon Coleman?  Now, I'll out right admit that I've only ever watched his highlight tape, but month or two ago a lot of mock drafts had him as the 3rd wr off the board and a top 12 pick.  Most of the mocks today have him as a late 1st or even early 2nd.  Did something cause the drop, or is it just normal pre-draft analysis causing some to rise some to fall?

Similar reasons to DK Metcalf and Denzel Mims (funny enough). Big strong fast/explosive but mediocre route runner and doesn't separate as much as you'd think. Worries are that he might be a deep threat 9 ball receiver only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Similar reasons to DK Metcalf and Denzel Mims (funny enough). Big strong fast/explosive but mediocre route runner and doesn't separate as much as you'd think. Worries are that he might be a deep threat 9 ball receiver only.

I think he's best working slants and RAC'ing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, prob2236 said:

In my (often bad) opinion, he's the 4th WR off the board and ends up being the 2nd best out of the class. Most of his issues were due to poor QB play.

This opinion is subject to change.

Edited by nagahide13

4 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

In my (often bad) opinion, he's the 4th WR off the board and ends up being the 2nd best out of the class. Most of his issues were due to poor QB play.

This opinion is subject to change.

It should be. His QB was a Heisman Trophy Candidate. I like Keon Coleman and think he's going to be good...but 2nd best? I think it's a weird take in a class with Nabers and MHJR. I would be more receptive to a Nabers > MHJR than I would to an argument that Coleman is WR2.

11 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

It should be. His QB was a Heisman Trophy Candidate. I like Keon Coleman and think he's going to be good...but 2nd best? I think it's a weird take in a class with Nabers and MHJR. I would be more receptive to a Nabers > MHJR than I would to an argument that Coleman is WR2.

Travis ended up hurt and the offense fell off a cliff. I should have specified a time period. 😁

3 regular season games and the travesty of the Orange bowl. Had Travis not been hurt they would have made the playoffs and we'd be talking about Coleman differently.

10 hours ago, prob2236 said:

Not really, no.  He's just not quite the twitch athlete that Malik Nabers is.  And he's probably not as refined a route runner as Odunze is.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, prob2236 said:

I don't think anything has really "happened" with Coleman.  It's been a long time since it felt like anyone other than MHR/Nabers/Odunze were viewed as the consensus "big 3".

I think Coleman is absolutely still in the conversation to be the 4th WR off the board.  It's just going to depend on what that team taking the WR4 in the draft prefers.  I don't think there's any order between Coleman/Brian Thomas Jr/Franklin/Mitchell that would surprise me at all.  And there are a couple other guys who wouldn't even shock me if they busted into that group somewhere either (McConkey/Legette/Worthy/Corley even).

Coleman's whole thing is just that he might not be as explosive as others, if that's what a team values above all else.

On 2/29/2024 at 10:27 AM, goldfishwars said:

Yep. If you’re track fast, simply back iff as a CB. The guys who win deep down the field force corners to move up and get hands on because they can snap routes in the short/intermediate range. It’s how dudes with bleh speed end up open down the field so often. You gotta be able to do something else other than run fast in a straight line to force the defender to play you differently.

I think Xavier Worthy is that guy. He has questionable hands, but he can run a full route tree. 

• Like 2