The 2023-2024 College Football Bowl Thread

MikeT14

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Is the age thing that big an issue?  

Option A.  Younger but needs more time to develop.

Option B.  Older but more likely plug and play

I think it matters because most NFL QBs don't meaningfully produce until year 2. And, I don't think the development timeline is that different with younger guys and older guys (i.e. coaches don't get a longer leash with young guys). For me, it matters when a player can produce early in his career because it feels like he's more of a "natural."

2 minutes ago, 4thandInches said:

Same, always thought it was kind of dumb logic. If I use say a top 15 pick and I get even just a decade of high end qb play, it’s easily worth it.

Yep. And I gotta say, this feels like the QB class for the Rams to take a guy on late Day 1 or Day 2. We need to start planning for the post-Stafford era.

• Like 2

Just now, squire12 said:

Fair, Washington isn't lacking at WR either though.  JSN sat out that game didnt he?

Yes. And Harrison got hurt in like the 3rd or 4th quarter. But I was more speaking of Ohio State's OL. Washington's is good, but it's not quite as good as OSU's was.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 4thandInches said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if someone gets desperate and he goes top 10 -15ish

I could legit see the Falcons taking a long look at him at 9 or so if we miss out on the top 3 guys.  I just really worry about Kaleb mcgary sorry butt behind his blind side blocker lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

I think it matters because most NFL QBs don't meaningfully produce until year 2. And, I don't think the development timeline is that different with younger guys and older guys (i.e. coaches don't get a longer leash with young guys). For me, it matters when a player can produce early in his career because it feels like he's more of a "natural."

If development is 2 years for both a 21 year old as it is for a 24 year old, isnt it a wash in the 10-12 year career arc?

Older can often mean more mentally mature and understanding of the professional aspects vs a younger prospect.

13 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

This is reminding me of C.J. Stroud's performance against UGA last year. That's what sold me on Stroud. Penix has been absolutely lights out.

Same and i like Stroud before that game just like i liked Penix before this game.  When you rise up and play your best game on your toughest competition that says alot to me for the next level.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Never thought age should be a weakness. In the best case scenario, you have him for 2 years less in a 15 year career.

Like is that bad? lol

The number of guys that start at QB consistently for 10 years is already low, especially for one team. 

I want 8-10 from a 1st round QB. Anything else is a bonus, imo. Penix isn't Brandon Weeden. He could easily start 8-10 for whoever takes him. He'll only be 24 this year. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yep. And I gotta say, this feels like the QB class for the Rams to take a guy on late Day 1 or Day 2. We need to start planning for the post-Stafford era.

Leave Penix alone. I usually like you, but I don't want McVay and Penix terrorizing the league for the next decade. And they absolutely would. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

The number of guys that start at QB consistently for 10 years is already low, especially for one team. 

I want 8-10 from a 1st round QB. Anything else is a bonus, imo. Penix isn't Brandon Weeden. He could easily start 8-10 for whoever takes him. He'll only be 24 this year. 

If you think about it, the most valuable years of a QB is the rookie contract. If a QB is more ready to win right now because they're older, that team has a 5 year window.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

I think the medicals on his knee injuries/ surgeries will be more important than his age.

• Like 2