The 2023-2024 College Football Bowl Thread

MikeT14

4 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

I could legit see the Falcons taking a long look at him at 9 or so if we miss out on the top 3 guys.  I just really worry about Kaleb mcgary sorry butt behind his blind side blocker lol.

Can't you just flip Matthews and McGary?

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

The number of guys that start at QB consistently for 10 years is already low, especially for one team. 

I want 8-10 from a 1st round QB. Anything else is a bonus, imo. Penix isn't Brandon Weeden. He could easily start 8-10 for whoever takes him. He'll only be 24 this year. 

I'll say this if anything the fact that he has transitioned his game to more of a pure passer instead of a running guy.  That does nothing but help his longevity at the next level to play longer.   It's the athletic guys with a descent arm but not great passer that might fizzle out sooner.  So if anything he might be a year or 2 older now but he might get you another 4 to 5 years of total QB play in the long run.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Leave Penix alone. I usually like you, but I don't want McVay and Penix terrorizing the league for the next decade. And they absolutely would. 

Wouldn't be surprised if McVay is in love with Penix and Spencer Rattler.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Can't you just flip Matthews and McGary?

Yeah possibly but i really don't like making guys swap sides from what they have done their entire career it can really mess a dude up sometimes.    If anything i would just cut mcgary and let the guy who has replaced him most this year during injury take over until we drafted a really good one.  Storm Norton has 100% outplayed Mcgary this year and it's not close imo.

1 minute ago, General Tso said:

If you think about it, the most valuable years of a QB is the rookie contract. If a QB is more ready to win right now because they're older, that team has a 5 year window.

Agreed.  Especially if that team has pieces in place already.  Atlanta, LV, Minnesota,  TB ( if Baker is too pricey) Washington are few teams that come to mind

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if McVay is in love with Penix and Spencer Rattler.

Imagine if UW had been able to keep Puka around....last year would've been nuts. Penix and Nacua would make sweet sweet music together, not gonna lie. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

I'll say this if anything the fact that he has transitioned his game to more of a pure passer instead of a running guy.  That does nothing but help his longevity at the next level to play longer.   It's the athletic guys with a descent arm but not great passer that might fizzle out sooner.  So if anything he might be a year or 2 older now but he might get you another 4 to 5 years of total QB play in the long run.

Agreed, the fact he isn’t looking to run looks like it really added polish to his game, he looks very comfortable in the pocket imo

Edited by 4thandInches

10 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

I could legit see the Falcons taking a long look at him at 9 or so if we miss out on the top 3 guys.  I just really worry about Kaleb mcgary sorry butt behind his blind side blocker lol.

What does ATL need for other positions?

Penix in R1.  Fill OL holes later or FA

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Imagine if UW had been able to keep Puka around....last year would've been nuts. Penix and Nacua would make sweet sweet music together, not gonna lie. 

Dam. Forgot he was there too.  Puka + Odunze +Polk + McMillan 

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

If development is 2 years for both a 21 year old as it is for a 24 year old, isnt it a wash in the 10-12 year career arc?

Older can often mean more mentally mature and understanding of the professional aspects vs a younger prospect.

I think the logic is once a player hits 30, they will be outside their physical peak. So, if you have a player mentally (i.e. NFL developed) developed at 23, he will be at his physical peak for another 7 years rather than another 4 years. It probably doesn't matter as much at QB since it's less of a physically demanding position.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

What does ATL need for other positions?

Penix in R1.  Fill OL holes later or FA

We honestly only have like 4 or 5 needs total in the draft.   We honestly don't have holes at OL either i just want upgrades there at some point in the next few years.   Our OL is routinely considered top 10 in the nfl the last few seasons and arthur smith is great at finding and building o-lineman.   Jake Matthews and Chris Lindstrom are great at their positions.  Our rookie LG  Matthew Bergeron has been way better than expected this year and is already looking like a steal.   C in drew Dalman and RT kaleb Mcgary are acceptable but i want better than both.  Both are elite run blockers though like top 3 to 5 at their position but meh pass protectors at best.

As for actual needs for us here they are in order from most to least

1. QB
2. Edge Rusher
3. #2/3 WR

Thats it for actual real have to have for starters needs

4. SS
5. C
6. RT

Those 3 are needs that i would like to upgrade but are serviceable.

Plus we have like 40 to 50 mil in cap space to get guys in FA to add or upgrade positions.

• Like 1