Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is Cleveland @Mind Character, these fans need a succession plan for backup OL bruh.

A good OL is the cure to cancer in Cleveland, it’s unreal.

There are still goobers on the PD site who think all Kizer needed was a better line and he’d have been fine.  

this narrative needs to die and there are people who have been spouting it on this website for a decade.  

I think people are getting hooked by the idea that.we have to draft a HOFr to replace JT, We'll know soon enough how we approach this situation. Also, people are just dismissing Rod Johnson just like they dismissed Coleman last year and I thought Coleman had a decent first season. If anything, like I said before Okorafor, Miller, or even Jamarco Jones (especially after he trains with LeCharles Bentley) could be just as good.

20 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I think people are getting hooked by the idea that.we have to draft a HOFr to replace JT, We'll know soon enough how we approach this situation. Also, people are just dismissing Rod Johnson just like they dismissed Coleman last year and I thought Coleman had a decent first season. If anything, like I said before Okorafor, Miller, or even Jamarco Jones (especially after he trains with LeCharles Bentley) could be just as good.

I was pleasantly surprised with Coleman, there wasn't nearly as much pressure coming at the Kizer's face as there was his back after JT got hurt.  Although I think Drango played better than expected too, OL will be something that needs to be addressed soon.  Just not sure a 1st or maybe even a 2nd rd pick is necessary.  There will hopefully be time for development.  If they could get Banner to progress with quickness, movement, and add some muscle, that is a big man.

I don't expect Dorsey to go too early for OL. I know his first draft with KC he took Fisher, but that was a historically bad draft year as well. Lane Johnson has done well for himself, but Fisher and Joeckel were the clear cut 1-2 prospects there. I know while he was at Green Bay they took some OL high, but if you look at the guys that ended up the most successful, almost all were mid round draft picks. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is Cleveland @Mind Character, these fans need a succession plan for backup OL bruh.

A good OL is the cure to cancer in Cleveland, it’s unreal.

There are still goobers on the PD site who think all Kizer needed was a better line and he’d have been fine.  

I don't remember where I saw it but I saw a stat that had Cleveland ranked #6 in the NFL in average time from snap to first pressure by the defense. I for one believe it too I cannot tell you how many times I was starring at my screen while Kizer was shuffling in the pocket and I'm screaming THROW THE BALL!. The kid had zero clock and many of the sacks and pressures were solely on him.

Shon Coleman and even Spencer Drango got a bad rap. I believe both played very well and considering who he stepped in for and his actual skill set I believe Drango was unfairly beaten down. He is a guard all the way and I believe he can make a very good long term starting guard. It is not his fault he was asked to protect the edge with a retarded rookie QB behind him.

The only right answer for weakest link of the Cleveland Browns offensive line  is J.C. Tretter. Even with Tretter I wouldn't panic he was a let down IMO and go man handled at times but lets be real for a second. No team in the NFL has 5 studs on the Oline.  

Yeah, Shon Coleman had a very solid season. And there's no reason to think he can't improve. Hopefully someone like Rod Johnson can eventually take over for Thomas, but I wouldn't count on it. Still, I wouldn't take an offensive lineman early unless one slides into the second or third and they're just too good to pass up. As for Drango, I think he'd be a very solid backup at guard, but not at tackle. I just don't think he was athletic enough to handle edge rushers. Overall, the offensive line is the least of our problems. They gave up a lot of sacks at the start of the season, but so many of those were on Kizer for just holding onto the ball for way too long.

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Just got done reviewing Orlando Brown Jr. and Connor Williams over the last 2 seasons.

I was surprised that what I saw didn't match recent talk of both them going top 10.

Both of them are fringe 1st round players and no way in hell would it make any sense to take them as Joe T's replacement top 10.

Brown is massive and wins with length put his pad level is awful and he is easily pushed out of balance on Counter rush moves where sound techniques gets underneath his pads.

He struggled mightily in 5 games (3 last year; 2 this year) with the speed rush but it just didn't hurt Oklahoma as the ball was out of the QBs hand lightning fast. In the NFL, a lot of his mishaps lead to FFs and strip sacks, or worse an injured QB. Has a lot of raw tools and power to be developed and he is a good prospect but no where close to this elite franchise LT that many are speaking about him as.

Connor Williams has no length whatsoever and lets DEs get into his pads leaving him to hold and be real grabby. Unless he starts using Bryan Bulaga's outside pad hold technique, he is going to struggle with inside power and speed as he often over sets or doesn't strike the defensive player in a way to get him off balance. Surprisingly poor punch. Inconsistent against lesser talents.

He is however an exceptional run blocker and has tremendous movement skills. I'd make him a LG where his skills likely translate to a long career of success.

I'd be beyond pissed and really question our FO if we went OT in the top 5 even if Joe Thomas retires...you can't force a pick b/c of need and the OT talent isn't good enough for that pick as the OTs won't be close to the talent/impact of a BPA at that point. imo.

Great minds think a like. His holding on literally ever play was the very first thing I noticed about him. Weird thing is that he was one of if not the least penalized player in College football the last 2 years. (I guess Jeff Tripplette must do a lot of Texas games).

Here are my notes I have taken on Connor Williams so far:

-Best suited to play guard IMO
-Very good once he is locked on
-Not great in space
-Master holder. Does it nearly every pass set and never gets called
-Will get beat by DEs with good hand usage bc he won't be able to hold

Desmond Harrison has Franchise LT traits and the kid from Pittsburgh is a darn good athlete who was far and away the best lineman on the field when I watched Adam Bisnowaty and Dorian Johnson last season. Even then I wouldn't take him before mid 2nd.

I would hold off on a Joe Thomas replacement until next year and target Greg Little from Ole Miss.

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Everything you said was 100% spot on and I couldn't agree more.

Except for counting out Rod Johnson...lol....he's garbage.

1 hour ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I don't remember where I saw it but I saw a stat that had Cleveland ranked #6 in the NFL in average time from snap to first pressure by the defense. I for one believe it too I cannot tell you how many times I was starring at my screen while Kizer was shuffling in the pocket and I'm screaming THROW THE BALL!. The kid had zero clock and many of the sacks and pressures were solely on him.

Shon Coleman and even Spencer Drango got a bad rap. I believe both played very well and considering who he stepped in for and his actual skill set I believe Drango was unfairly beaten down. He is a guard all the way and I believe he can make a very good long term starting guard. It is not his fault he was asked to protect the edge with a retarded rookie QB behind him.

The only right answer for weakest link of the Cleveland Browns offensive line  is J.C. Tretter. Even with Tretter I wouldn't panic he was a let down IMO and go man handled at times but lets be real for a second. No team in the NFL has 5 studs on the Oline.  

Yeah I thought Drango played fine.  Good enough to win with anyway, Tretter too.

The play calling didn’t help them either.  While other coordinators call shovel passes, screens and draws to keep the DL from pinning their ears back, Hue dials up another Hail Mary.

Archived