Bears now own #1 overall (via Carolina).... Fields + trade downs vs Williams/Maye etc.

Epyon

57 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

We basically don’t have a center if we move Stromberg. Gates is awful. I just don’t think the Bears are getting picks and players to move down one spot dude. 

Chicago will throw in Cody Whitehair or Lucas Patrick XD

• Like 1

If the order stands pat, the smartest move IMO would be trade to #2 with WAS for a decent haul. WAS gets their guy and CHI can get Harrison Jr. plus have a boatload of picks to still build their roster.

Im rolling with Fields, giving him the best shot possible for another season or two (tagged) and if he doesnt work out in the end even with actual talent around him, then CHI will at bare minimum have a good young roster and supporting cast for them to go find the next guy to drop into.

Restarting with another rookie QB and a offensive roster, outside of DJ Moore, that is near the bottom of the league.....I just dont know what the upgrade would look like with Williams in place of Fields. It would put Poles in a position to potentially look reeeeal dumb if Williams isnt the 'god tier' prospect he has been talked about being and Fields goes elsewhere and continues to improve in a better offense.

Edited by AkronsWitness

6 hours ago, offbyone said:

Chicago hit the lottery by trading the pick and actually ending up with the #1 pick.  I wouldn't expect that to happen again.  

But some would argue that they don’t “need” the #1 pick so long as Fields is there.

Idk…I think Fields is kinda mid, but I also don’t think drafting Caleb makes them poised for a dynasty. I feel like they need to beef up the overall talent on the roster. The best move for that would he to trade down for a king’s ransom & draft playmakers. If Fields can’t succeed with Harrison/Moore/Bowers and a good OL/run game, there are always QB’s available that are at least serviceable that they can go and get later.

I would say that Fields' time has passed and they should take Williams and trade Fields for whatever they can get.  But, the Bears are keeping Eberflus, so it's not like they're going to suddenly change things so they don't ruin Williams either.

Given that, trade down with Washington, or Arizona, or whoever will give you a boatload of future picks, take the top prospect on the board, and move on.  They'll be firing Eberflus the next year, and maybe a competent head coach will be able to build a better roster with a lot of draft capital.

10 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Oh wow. Didn’t know they were THAT bad. I thought they were around 9th. 

Right now they have 2, but picks 2-7 are in flux pending the results this upcoming week. But yeah, they're really bad. They haven't won a game since the first week of November, and they play the Cowboys (who still have a division title on the line) this week.

Washington could be anywhere from 2-5 with a win. With a loss, I believe they lock down #2. Patriots could also be anywhere 2-5, but they play the Jets, so a win is possible, and would most likely put them at 5. Arizona has by far the highest SOS of any of these prospective top 5 selection teams, so a win against Seattle this week could knock them all the way down to 7 (if the Chargers, Titans, and Giants lose). The Giants play the Eagles and have the weakest SOS of any team in the top 7, so if they lose and the Patriots, Washington, and Arizona all win, they'd actually get the 2nd overall pick. With a loss, they jump any of those 3 teams that win this week. A win against the Eagles and they are most likely falling all the way to 8. The best the Chargers and Titans can do is move up to 4.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Right now they have 2, but picks 2-7 are in flux pending the results this upcoming week. But yeah, they're really bad. They haven't won a game since the first week of November, and they play the Cowboys (who still have a division title on the line) this week.

Washington could be anywhere from 2-5 with a win. With a loss, I believe they lock down #2. Patriots could also be anywhere 2-5, but they play the Jets, so a win is possible, and would most likely put them at 5. Arizona has by far the highest SOS of any of these prospective top 5 selection teams, so a win against Seattle this week could knock them all the way down to 7 (if the Chargers, Titans, and Giants lose). The Giants play the Eagles and have the weakest SOS of any team in the top 7, so if they lose and the Patriots, Washington, and Arizona all win, they'd actually get the 2nd overall pick. With a loss, they jump any of those 3 teams that win this week. A win against the Eagles and they are most likely falling all the way to 8. The best the Chargers and Titans can do is move up to 4.

With a win? Seriously lol. Against a Dallas team playing for the division.  We just gave up 30 points to the Jets who score like 6 points a game. We're going to get smoked. The game is probably 28-0 at the half if not worse. 

39 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

With a win? Seriously lol. Against a Dallas team playing for the division.  We just gave up 30 points to the Jets who score like 6 points a game. We're going to get smoked. The game is probably 28-0 at the half if not worse. 

It's super unlikely, but it isn't impossible. Point is that the top of the draft order, outside of #1, is still very much in flux.

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

It's super unlikely, but it isn't impossible. Point is that the top of the draft order, outside of #1, is still very much in flux.

I mean, its pretty close to impossible. About as close as you can get without actually calling it that. But I do understand what you're saying. 

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Washington could be anywhere from 2-5 with a win. With a loss, I believe they lock down #2. 

Washington and NE are in a tight Strength of Schedule battle for #2. If they both lose, it’s going to come down to the outcomes of other games as well… though Washington needs less things to break their way. 

If I’m Chicago, I take Caleb and send Fields to the highest bidder. Take Nabers at 9, if he’s there. A haul is tempting, and if someone offered something stupid like 3+ FRPs, you have to take that, but I don’t see that happening this year. I think with the way Chicago is playing + their other picks + their cap room, they can make that turn in 2024, but this is their golden opportunity to upgrade on Fields. 

Can’t speak for the rest, but it’d shock me as a NE fan to see them send off a haul for #1. 

The idea that this is a close call at all is baffling to me. Fields has shown flashes but people basically still talk about him like he's a rookie QB -- "If we surround him with X and Y talent and better playcalling maybe he'll be good!"

If you have a proven item at QB it's one thing, but you can't pass on Caleb Williams because you wanna stick with (and pay) a QB who has never played well for more than a month at a time and nobody can tell is good after 3 years. Is there any other team in the league that would rather have Fields for the Daniel Jones-type contract he's about to get rather than getting to reset with Caleb Williams? Are teams going to be calling Chicago offering multiple firsts for Fields like they are with Caleb? The values of the respective assets are clear here, the idea that Chicago should actively choose the less valuable QB is asinine. They have a truly unprecedented opportunity to create a long term championship window and you can't pass that up because you think if everything breaks right for Fields next year that he can turn you into a wild card team. 

If they stick with Fields it's an emotional decision, not a strategic one. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

The idea that this is a close call at all is baffling to me. Fields has shown flashes but people basically still talk about him like he's a rookie QB -- "If we surround him with X and Y talent and better playcalling maybe he'll be good!"

If you have a proven item at QB it's one thing, but you can't pass on Caleb Williams because you wanna stick with (and pay) a QB who has never played well for more than a month at a time and nobody can tell is good after 3 years. Is there any other team in the league that would rather have Fields for the Daniel Jones-type contract he's about to get rather than getting to reset with Caleb Williams? Are teams going to be calling Chicago offering multiple firsts for Fields like they are with Caleb? Chicago has a truly unprecedented opportunity to create a long term championship window and you can't pass that up because you think if everything breaks right for Fields next year that he can turn you into a wild card team. 

If they stick with Fields it's an emotional decision, not a strategic one. 

What’s the best sandwich at your deli?

• Like 1