BDL Discussion Thread 2024

Tagging @SirA1 for this because he's the man on those contract technicalities. I went back to the "Geno Stone is a RFA" rule and I don't understand how this is interpreted here. I've been told "If someone plays less than 6 games in one of his first 3 seasons" which I found weird so I looked at the NFL rule again.

The rule says you need to have 4 accrued seasons for UFA, 3 for RFA and less than 3 you are an ERFA which is fine.

Here's an accrued season according to the NFL - at least according to this source

Accrued season — A season that counts toward NFL free agency. Earned by being on a team’s active roster/inactive list, reserve/injured or reserve/physically unable to perform lists for six or more regular season games.

So in the case of Geno Stone:

He played full seasons from 2021 to 2023 so that's 3 accrued seasons.

In 2020 - he was waived in October 8th, so he was present for 4 games for the Ravens. He then got elevated for weeks 9 and 10 - so that's 6. He was then on Baltimore's roster between Nov. 17th and Dec. 21st (including some time on the COVID reserve list) - that's 6 more games. So by my understand of the rules, Geno Stone was on Baltimore's roster - one way or another - for 12 games and therefore has 4 accrued seasons under his belt. He should then be an UFA, not a RFA.

This is also confirmed by OTC which has Stone as 4 accrued seasons.

Can someone clarify this?

16 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Tagging @SirA1 for this because he's the man on those contract technicalities. I went back to the "Geno Stone is a RFA" rule and I don't understand how this is interpreted here. I've been told "If someone plays less than 6 games in one of his first 3 seasons" which I found weird so I looked at the NFL rule again.

The rule says you need to have 4 accrued seasons for UFA, 3 for RFA and less than 3 you are an ERFA which is fine.

Here's an accrued season according to the NFL - at least according to this source

So in the case of Geno Stone:

He played full seasons from 2021 to 2023 so that's 3 accrued seasons.

In 2020 - he was waived in October 8th, so he was present for 4 games for the Ravens. He then got elevated for weeks 9 and 10 - so that's 6. He was then on Baltimore's roster between Nov. 17th and Dec. 21st (including some time on the COVID reserve list) - that's 6 more games. So by my understand of the rules, Geno Stone was on Baltimore's roster - one way or another - for 12 games and therefore has 4 accrued seasons under his belt. He should then be an UFA, not a RFA.

This is also confirmed by OTC which has Stone as 4 accrued seasons.

Can someone clarify this?

Get him Ted!