2018/19 Europe Thread - It begins again

UKTexans

11 hours ago, yankee0724 said:

Wonder what team you think should have been in pot 1 over them...

If I had to pick one, it would be Atletico. But realistically I could pick like 10

EDIT: And just to be very clear, I think Real Madrid is more deserving of being in Europa League than being in pot 1. That's not what this is about.

Edited by Madridista

• 2 weeks later...

We really took it to Tottenham tonight.  It was pretty shocking to beat them that badly in London.  Game was very open going both ways in the first half.  Big for Bayern to go ahead at the half and the quick Gnabry double sealed it.  Four goals for Gnabry in total.  Hell of a good day.

2 hours ago, roysmyboy31 said:

We really took it to Tottenham tonight.  It was pretty shocking to beat them that badly in London.  Game was very open going both ways in the first half.  Big for Bayern to go ahead at the half and the quick Gnabry double sealed it.  Four goals for Gnabry in total.  Hell of a good day.

I've only seen a shortened snippet of it, but was Aurier's two-footed airborne stamp on one of the Bayern players as bad as it looked.  And, if so, how the hell was he not sent off and what exactly is the purpose of VAR if not to intervene in an instance like that?  From what I saw of it, there's absolutely no place for that in the game.  When I was playing I'd have gladly broken the offending player's leg if he'd pulled something like that on one of my teammates.

9 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

VAR is just an offside confirmation now. They've completely nerfed it. 

Let's be real, like UEFA in any capacity was ever going to actually hold referees (or anyone, for that matter) accountable to their decisions.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Knew Portugal would get stuck with Germany and France.

This Euro draw was so dumb. 

There is something wrong with the pot seeding when you have the defending euro champ in pot 3 and the defending world champ in pot 2. 

I do think we are better than Portugal. Germany is a bit of a question mark. But with 4 3rds advancing there's a good chance all three teams advance 

4 hours ago, TedLavie said:

This Euro draw was so dumb. 

There is something wrong with the pot seeding when you have the defending euro champ in pot 3 and the defending world champ in pot 2. 

I do think we are better than Portugal. Germany is a bit of a question mark. But with 4 3rds advancing there's a good chance all three teams advance 

I get it had to do with qualifying  but you’re right theres something wrong 

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

City took it harder than the Astros did.

As always as it relates to UEFA and CAS, I'll believe they actually enforce the full punishment when I see it.  Looking forward to that Sheffield/Barca tie in this fall's CL group stage draw.

3 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

City took it harder than the Astros did.

They will certainly appeal for sure.  But I do wonder what effect this will have on some of their top players.  Top guys want to play on the biggest stage and I wonder if some of these guys will be looking to move wondering if the ban will be upheld or not.  I know as a Bayern fan that we have been heavily linked to Sane since last summer and that we are still pursuing him.  But what about guys like Silva, De Bruyne, etc.?

10 hours ago, roysmyboy31 said:

They will certainly appeal for sure.  But I do wonder what effect this will have on some of their top players.  Top guys want to play on the biggest stage and I wonder if some of these guys will be looking to move wondering if the ban will be upheld or not.  I know as a Bayern fan that we have been heavily linked to Sane since last summer and that we are still pursuing him.  But what about guys like Silva, De Bruyne, etc.?

The problem if they appeal and the appeal goes into next season is likely to be the premier league punishment. If they accept this now they may have a points deduction this year instead of next which will not make a difference to anything this season as champions league qualification wont matter anyhow.. If they have a deduction next year it would rule them out of another title race.

Premier league will come under pressure to act quickly but only based on the result.

As for the players it will all depend on Pep leaving but I can see 4 or 5 waving goodbye if the ban is more than 1 season.

• 2 weeks later...