2018/19 Europe Thread - It begins again

UKTexans

53 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Big hand ball called. By rule I think it was right since he made himself bigger but I've never seen that called in that situation.

He looked at the ball, then had his arm out, and moved it back after it hit.

Granted I don't watch enough soccer to be an expect, but am I nuts thinking the controversy is overblown here?

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He looked at the ball, then had his arm out, and moved it back after it hit.

Granted I don't watch enough soccer to be an expect, but am I nuts thinking the controversy is overblown here?

At game speed, I think it's a tough decision.

That being said, first game Kimpembe should have been sent out so it balances out

24 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Not a fan of that handball call at all.

And all the comments (mostly Man Utd fans) saying that its karma or that it balances out him not being sent off in the first leg are completely irrational 

I admit being totally biased on the matter haha.

But seriously, if you're PSG, you won 2-0 at Old Trafford, you have a much much better team than this MU squad, which was severely hampered, and you have more experience. You just can't let that happen. Manchester wasn't even that good tonight.

Road becomes more and more clearer for the teams playing next week. ManU, Tottenham, Ajax and Porto isn't exactly a fearsome quartet.

Amazing comeback by United, but that pen decision is awful. In game speed, thats never called. VAR is ruining football, imo. Sterilizing the moments that make the game what it is. There was nothing blatant or obvious that the ref missed, imo. VAR is just a shambles all around.

4 hours ago, TedLavie said:

But seriously, if you're PSG, you won 2-0 at Old Trafford, you have a much much better team than this MU squad, which was severely hampered, and you have more experience. You just can't let that happen. Manchester wasn't even that good tonight.

Oh no doubt.  My post had nothing to do with whether PSG deserved to win over the two legs, and you're absolutely right that they shouldn't have gotten themselves in the position to lose on that penalty in the first place.

There's obviously something inherently wrong with the culture of the club considering this isn't the first time in recent history that they have gone into the second leg of a R16 Champions League tie with a commanding lead and an expectation of winning, only to completely crumble under the expectations (vs Barcalona in 2017 being the other tie that immediately came to mind)

3 hours ago, kempus said:

VAR is ruining football

There's nothing wrong with VAR itself imo.  I think that, just like with cricket and its DRS, the powers that be don't know at what level the technology should intervene.  If VAR stuck to obvious off-sides and fouls in the penalty box, and checked all given penalties to make sure they weren't blatant dives then it would be serving its job. 

But instead it feels like some referees are using it to get everything "right" (usually be the letter of the law, and not the spirit that the law was intended) so that they can be free from criticism, and that is what leads to the long delays and iffy calls that "steriliz[es] the moments that make the game what it is".  The problem with VAR is like the problem with using replay to determine a catch in the NFL - the problem lies with how it's being used, not with VAR itself.  

I think it's something that could easily be fixed by clarifying when it should be used and by a bit of education of key people (the refs, managers and various media). 

It is my first year really following European soccer with any kind of a rooting interest and I choose to be a Man U fan mainly because my good friend is a Liverpool fan just to kind of piss him off. I feel like ive experiences so much in this first year from losing to relegation teams and to have a classic quotable yet a terrible manager for this particular squad get fired to making a run at a top 4 placement and a huge Champs League comeback. What a game that was in Paris against a very very good team down 2-0 on aggregate. What a year it’s been. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kempus said:

Amazing comeback by United, but that pen decision is awful. In game speed, thats never called. VAR is ruining football, imo. Sterilizing the moments that make the game what it is. There was nothing blatant or obvious that the ref missed, imo. VAR is just a shambles all around.

I don’t think VAR is an issue in itself, it’s just it’s not being used correctly. Look at the Carabao Cup Final for example, Hazard looks to be offside and they don’t even let the play run and review it later. 

It was never a handball and the annoying thing is that a similar incident will take place next week or something and the opposite decision would be given. I do agree though looking at something at slower speed is misleading. If you’re in the air it’s hard to for your hands to be involved. And I don’t care he had his back turned. His arm was down. 

What a rollercoaster of a game. Unbelievable. I've been so spoilt as a United fan of 32 years, but last night was up there. Even if we'd have lost I would have been so proud of the team, especially the young lads. I agree with that we weren't that good from a technical standpoint, but 2nd half we looked really solid defensively and carried a threat on the counter. United are actually annoying me now with the suspense they are trying to create in giving Ole the job. He's earned it 100 times over. Regardless of circumstance, to win with 5 starting players unavailable with a 2 goal deficit away from home could be argued as the greatest (non final) result in the history of Manchester United.

As for the VAR decision - I disagreed with it. Like Rio Ferdinand said after the game, you can't play football with your hands behind your back. You need your arms at a certain width from your torso to balance. Do we really want Defenders running after Attacking players in the box with their hands behind their back? Sure, I am not complaining and we've had some really bad ones go against us in Europe before now, but I understand the frustration from PSG players/fans.

The absolute silence from City fans in my work today is golden. Like the good old days. 

Ole.
Is.
At.
The.
Wheel.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 8:31 PM, kempus said:

Missed calls "make the game what it is" to you? Correct pen call and absurd to say otherwise