AFC Wildcard Round: #7 Pittsburgh @ #2 Buffalo

Trentwannabe

Who Wins?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes this AFC Battle

2 hours ago, Pablo Escobar said:

or just don´t hit them when they are down.

Sure, great. Don’t load up and make the decision to hit a sliding player once they have completed a slide. But it’s not fair to expect defensive players to anticipate when a QB might decide to start sliding and base their decision on that. The way it’s currently implemented takes no accounting of the reality of how the human brain and biology and physics works

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DannyB said:

Sure, great. Don’t load up and make the decision to hit a sliding player once they have completed a slide. But it’s not fair to expect defensive players to anticipate when a QB might decide to start sliding and base their decision on that. The way it’s currently implemented takes no accounting of the reality of how the human brain and biology and physics works

I get it.

And some are harder to judge than others

If the defender demonstrates he tried to lessen or avoid the impact somehow it shouldn't be a penalty. But that would require common sense.

Just like when the chiefs player (who had no impact on the play at all) had his toe on the line and the winning touch down was taken off them and cost them the game. If that player doesn´t affect the play at all...no block, no nothing should the 7 points/game be taken off them. Common sense.  If he does impact the play, yes it should.

Using common sense and discretion. Something the NFL doesn´t do.

1 hour ago, DannyB said:

I agree to an extent but last night was not one of those instances. Josh slid early. Jack then dove in after slide had already begun. Hits him and after he hit him threw his hands up like he didn't do anything. That was pretty clear. If he had thrown the hands up and tried to avoid ibwould have given him the benefit of the doubt but he continued to try and lay a hit.

And i see some fans saying Allen attempted a fake slide... i saw it as a stutter step. As just a fan i didnt think Allen had any intention on sliding on that play. And if i can see that from the couch a football player should be smart enough to see that.

Edited by Kmart128

9 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I agree to an extent but last night was not one of those instances. Josh slid early. Jack then dove in after slide had already begun. Hits him and after he hit him threw his hands up like he didn't do anything. That was pretty clear. If he had thrown the hands up and tried to avoid ibwould have given him the benefit of the doubt but he continued to try and lay a hit.

And i see some fans saying Allen attempted a fake slide... i saw it as a stutter step. As just a fan i didnt think Allen had any intention on sliding on that play. And if i can see that from the couch a football player should be smart enough to see that.

To me it seemed like a fake slide, and if you're gonna start doing that type of stuff, you have to be okay with getting lit up when you actually do slide.

13 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

To me it seemed like a fake slide, and if you're gonna start doing that type of stuff, you have to be okay with getting lit up when you actually do slide.

I just dont see it. He slowed up definitely and kinda changed direction before he took off. It definitely didnt look like the whole Kenny Pickett thing... i dont think Josh would have moved to his left had he try to attempt a fake slide. 

But if it did I guess Pittsburgh cant complain to much cause that fan base has benefited from it in the past 

21 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Perhaps, but there wasn't a defender within 5 yards of him when the 'fake slide' happened. It didn't really impact the play at all unless Fitzpatrick is a total dumbass and stopped running while being 5+ yards away from Allen assuming he'd slide.

Honestly, it looked like Allen was going to run outside, but then saw a lane and cut it up the middle. Once again, though, when that 'fake slide' happened, no one was even close to him, so I'd be dumbfounded if anyone complained about it. It's not like someone had him lined up a couple of yards away, and Allen pretended to slide. 

Epic run, though. Holy hell is that man physically gifted. It's wild he has the longest streak of games without missing one due to injury. 

Edited by WizeGuy

34 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

And if i can see that from the couch a football player should be smart enough to see that.

This works the opposite to how you think it does.

Not commenting on the play specifically, but you have it backwards.

Edited by Soko

I can’t believe anybody thinks there was a “fake slide” attempted. Josh seeks contact and plays hard. He’s been scrutinized for it his whole career. The dude was running and made a move. The Pickett one was clear as day because he did exactly that. This didn’t resemble that and it wasn’t close.  Allen made a move. End of story. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

I can’t believe anybody thinks there was a “fake slide” attempted. Josh seeks contact and plays hard. He’s been scrutinized for it his whole career. The dude was running and made a move. The Pickett one was clear as day because he did exactly that. This didn’t resemble that and it wasn’t close.  Allen made a move. End of story. 

It's not even close to a fake slide I can't believe that's a thing right now. 

There's an end zone camera angle that shows the entire run and at no point did he fake slide. He does that hesitation, stutter step all the time and rarely ever slides - he gets criticized for being "careless" with his body during runs. The defender got lazy and is now making excuses so he isn't embarrassed. Whether the defender just believed he'd slide because most QBs do that's on him.

1 hour ago, Kmart128 said:

The problem is, what seems obvious in super slow mo, and what seems like a guy intentionally following through on a targeted hit, is usually just the human brain having to make these assumptions and reactions and decisions in hundredths of a second and having the time to process and execute any changes in real time.

In super slow mo, we see the QB start to make a move and automatically assume the defensive player can immediately have their brain perceive it, process that info, send a signal to change what their body is doing, and have their body follow through with their brain’s direction literally instantaneously. But that’s just not how it works.

Yes late hits happen and should be penalized, but the way the rule currently is, there isn’t a proper amount of time accounted for to give defensive players a realistic chance.

To me, if you’re a quarterback and you decide to run, then it should be up to YOU to protect yourself by sliding early enough, or deal with the consequences of being a runner

• Like 1