2024 Off Season Thread

14 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I don't think Javonte will be back. He looked slow last year and he wore down over time. It's a shame what happened to him, but we should be upgrading the RB position. Surtain is a no brainer to bring back.

I would bring back Meinerz, but it's an interesting discussion when you consider the money invested in the OL already. If we move on from Ben Powers and/or McGlinchey, it becomes more palatable, but while we have cap space, we don't have a ton of guys under contract, so we're going to need low cost players somewhere or we'll need more cuts.

I'd bring back Cooper and Browning if possible. Depth is never a bad thing

The problem is he's head and shoulders above either of the other two. Our best OL by far and a top 5 RG. Just because we made huge mistakes in OL FA, it'd be a disaster if they caused us to part with Meinerz.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

New DL for the Broncos, Angelo Blackman. Looks like a 10-yr JAG but at least he's another IDL

We added another kid a week or so ago also, Malcolm Roach. 5 year vet at DT. Nothing special but an experienced rotational guy.

Courtland Sutton holding out for a new contract. He was good in the RZ last year but I’m not entirely sure what about back-to-back-to-back 800 yard seasons after a torn ACL suggests a pay rise should be on offer. 

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Courtland Sutton holding out for a new contract. He was good in the RZ last year but I’m not entirely sure what about back-to-back-to-back 800 yard seasons after a torn ACL suggests a pay rise should be on offer. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded on Day 2 or 3 of the draft. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded on Day 2 or 3 of the draft. 

Plus, and hopefully, you get Tim Patrick back, and hope that he stays healthy.  Then Sutton is very much expendable.

Guys I'm sorry, but I'm still having a hard time believing that we're going to go into the regular season with Jarrett Stidham and pretty much nothing else at QB. I mean, do we look at someone like Tannehill after the draft? Zach Wilson in a trade? Looks like there's nothing much left on the trade and FA market.

By all reports, 4 QBs are going in the top 6 and Nix/Penix are universally seen as 2nd round prospects. Do we trade back and try for Nix, take a flier on someone like Rattler late day 2/early day 3, or just punt all together? The situation really fascinates me.

3 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Plus, and hopefully, you get Tim Patrick back, and hope that he stays healthy.  Then Sutton is very much expendable.

Love the optimism, but it IS hard to trust in Tim right now. However, this draft is deep in the WR position, would love to see a new McCaffrey on this offense

29 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Guys I'm sorry, but I'm still having a hard time believing that we're going to go into the regular season with Jarrett Stidham and pretty much nothing else at QB. I mean, do we look at someone like Tannehill after the draft? Zach Wilson in a trade? Looks like there's nothing much left on the trade and FA market.

By all reports, 4 QBs are going in the top 6 and Nix/Penix are universally seen as 2nd round prospects. Do we trade back and try for Nix, take a flier on someone like Rattler late day 2/early day 3, or just punt all together? The situation really fascinates me.

I am too but TBH, I think it's reflective of how BADLY we have all been accustomed to how the front office was running things where we would always bring in some bridge or project that never pans out for nearly a decade now. Russ was a break from this, but ultimately ended the same way. It's reflected in local radio where all they can talk about is the new QB whomever it will be here. 

With that said, I would be ecstatic if we did go into it with Stidham. It would be such a massive departure than anything we've seen here for so long and show us that it's TRULY about rebuilding through draft and develop. No shortcuts, no saviors, no hope until we are IN POSITION to see otherwise (yes even punting this upcoming season+, which probably a lot of fans will be upset about)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

See I try to break down stuff dating back from last football season to now and there's one thing that just doesn't add up to me.

1) That Sean Payton started scouting qbs after the season- this narrative that I've heard just doesn't make sense. He had a plan to move on from Russ since probably before Russ was even benched. I think the plan B from Russ was conjured up well before. And if the plan was in motion then I assume that bc of the big cap hits the plan then was to attack qb in the draft. Like, Sam Darnold got $10 million I'd love to hear the broncos # for him. Howell got traded for a pick swap to a third from a 4th and 6th to a 5th. Broncos were in on it as were the rams I wonder what their price was.

Sean is selective at qb, but I do truly believe he has more than one or two options to take care of it. It seems like all the fanbase is talking about is Bo Nix and trading up for JJ or Maye.

my gut says there's two or 3 options in the draft he likes, and maybe a guy or 2 around the league that Sean thinks he can fix and we have to wait for that team to address qb in the draft to make that player become available. It just makes way more sense.

4 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

can someone enlighten me on top 30 visits? Like does it usually correspond to draftable players?

we had Michael Hiers from Samford in for a top 30 visit that kinda surprises me.

“Top 30 visits” is such a stupid term imo. You can have any 30 players in that you want a closer look at. Not necessarily your top 30. 

Sutton sitting out for a new contract is hilarious. Just trade him. I've definitely soured on this guy over the years.  I don't think he's particularly special, even with the TD total he put up last year. If we're talking Lamb or Jefferson, sure, I get it. Sutton isn't in the same stratosphere as those guys.

Just a bizarre move. I am all for players getting what they can, but I think his frustration with the Broncos has been written on the wall for some time and I'll acknowledge he's been a team player, but we haven't done anything the last few years. Weird time to be doing this too given the amount of depth in the draft at WR.

• Like 2