2024 Off Season Thread

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

It's not a coincidence that our D is a bottom 5 unit.

I'd disagree, that 5 game win streak that threw us outta top 3 draft contention was spot on due to the D and all those turnovers it created. Now. could we use some more talent upgrades ? Absolutely, especially along the front 7 but still we have some potential IMO

Edited by Cutler06

2 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Here’s what’s interesting about the draft this year. I have 13 with a true first round grade:

Marvin Harrison JR,

Malik Nabers

Brock Bowers

Joe Alt

Drake Maye

Jayden Daniels

Rome Odunze

Olu Fashanu

Quinyon Mitchell 

Johnny Newton

Cooper Dejean

Taliese Fuaga

Jared Verse

2 with an admitted first round grade that I would not draft in the first due to severe character or injury concerns:

Caleb Williams

Laiatu Latu

and 63(!!) with second round grades!

from pick 15 to the middle of the 3rd round I think you are getting a quality starter and potential impact player.

That’s why I’m all for trading down and maximizing picks in that range this year. We currently have maybe 2 (12 & 76) I would love to see us get 4-5 in that range. 

Could you explain this one please?

11 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Could you explain this one please?

I think he falls into that Josh Rosen/Jamarcus Russell/Johnny Manziel class of QB who is super naturally gifted but for whom football is not their passion, all the off the field stuff is. Throw in the fact he appears to be very very selfish and I wouldn’t spend a 1st, let alone #1 overall on him. I think bears fans will come to loathe the pick 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

I'd disagree, that 5 game win streak that threw us outta top 3 draft contention was spot on due to the D and all those turnovers it created. Now. could we use some more talent upgrades ? Absolutely, especially along the front 7 but still we have some potential IMO

We've also lost kareem Jackson, Justin Simmons, and our best ILB in Josey. Outside of PSII we've got rotational/depth and unproven players across the board. No one even approaching "star" level.

I think we're seriously hurting there bud.

Just once in my life I'd like to see the Bronco's draft the best IDL in college ball. In the 60 years I've been a fan they haven't done it one time! The closest was taking Pryce with their late 1st. Great pick, why stop.

35 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

We've also lost kareem Jackson, Justin Simmons, and our best ILB in Josey. Outside of PSII we've got rotational/depth and unproven players across the board. No one even approaching "star" level.

I think we're seriously hurting there bud.

Just once in my life I'd like to see the Bronco's draft the best IDL in college ball. In the 60 years I've been a fan they haven't done it one time! The closest was taking Pryce with their late 1st. Great pick, why stop.

Well, it's hard to evaluate what this defense if going to be this year so I have to assume your bottom 5 ranking was from last years team. That said, KJ was missing most of last season, his loss is negated by the development of PJ Locke. If Simmons was so valuable, why is he still available in free agency ? And to say Josey was our BEST ILB really diminished Singleton's value as well as what looks like a much cheaper, yet potentially as impressive replacement, while also allowing us to advance the development of Drew Sanders.  Also, we've just added CB Levi Wallace, a younger improvement over Moreau, and also hoping to see a 2nd year leap from Riley Moss. Furthermore,  I can only hope we add at least two more draft picks to the front seven., an area we have consistently overlooked by previous regimes. 

While this may not be a top 5 defense, I can see us being top 20 with hope for the future. 

Personally, if we're going to be a bottom 8 team,  it'll be because of the offense IMO. 

6 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Well, it's hard to evaluate what this defense if going to be this year so I have to assume your bottom 5 ranking was from last years team. That said, KJ was missing most of last season, his loss is negated by the development of PJ Locke. If Simmons was so valuable, why is he still available in free agency ? And to say Josey was our BEST ILB really diminished Singleton's value as well as what looks like a much cheaper, yet potentially as impressive replacement, while also allowing us to advance the development of Drew Sanders.  Also, we've just added CB Levi Wallace, a younger improvement over Moreau, and also hoping to see a 2nd year leap from Riley Moss. Furthermore,  I can only hope we add at least two more draft picks to the front seven., an area we have consistently overlooked by previous regimes. 

While this may not be a top 5 defense, I can see us being top 20 with hope for the future. 

Personally, if we're going to be a bottom 8 team,  it'll be because of the offense IMO. 

I keep thinking about posting a reply to your thread about positional groups rankings. Maybe I should do that but you know, as a retired guy watching the ice melt, where can I find the time?☺️

• Like 6

4 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Here’s what’s interesting about the draft this year. I have 13 with a true first round grade:

Marvin Harrison JR,

Malik Nabers

Brock Bowers

Joe Alt

Drake Maye

Jayden Daniels

Rome Odunze

Olu Fashanu

Quinyon Mitchell 

Johnny Newton

Cooper Dejean

Taliese Fuaga

Jared Verse

2 with an admitted first round grade that I would not draft in the first due to severe character or injury concerns:

Caleb Williams

Laiatu Latu

and 63(!!) with second round grades!

from pick 15 to the middle of the 3rd round I think you are getting a quality starter and potential impact player.

That’s why I’m all for trading down and maximizing picks in that range this year. We currently have maybe 2 (12 & 76) I would love to see us get 4-5 in that range. 

Good info. I'd have to agree. Having 63 with 2nd rd grades changes the dynamic a bit. lets hope George can work some magic here.  it's the one thing he  does that he's really good at.

4 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I think he falls into that Josh Rosen/Jamarcus Russell/Johnny Manziel class of QB who is super naturally gifted but for whom football is not their passion, all the off the field stuff is. Throw in the fact he appears to be very very selfish and I wouldn’t spend a 1st, let alone #1 overall on him. I think bears fans will come to loathe the pick 

I’ve long worried about that too, especially since the Bears are my second team given my family’s ties to Chicago. I just hope we’re both wrong. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

i agree with this take on Caleb Williams. seems entitled with a fragile persona.

i think the big lights will be too bright when things aren't going well.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2024 at 10:36 PM, Cutler06 said:

Checked on Ourlad's Denver Broncos depth chart.....interestingly enough it had Wilson as a starter at the QB position above Stidham

Ourlads can be funky this time of year. 

If the Broncos do trade back, would you rather have a 2nd this year or get a 1st next year?

Given the state of your team, I think getting a 1st is more important. Like others, I see your team in rebuild/tank mode. The last thing you want is to accidentally win a few games and then not have the capital to move up to get your QB in 2025.

I know Nix is the (apparent) favorite to be your QB this year, but I'd rather have my shot at Sanders/Ewers/Beck in 2025, whoever ends up being the best of those 3.

(Okay, I'm scurrying back to my hole in the Vikings forum lol)

Edited by SteelKing728

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Ourlads can be funky this time of year. 

If the Broncos do trade back, would you rather have a 2nd this year or get a 1st next year?

Given the state of your team, I think getting a 1st is more important. Like others, I see your team in rebuild/tank mode. The last thing you want is to accidentally win a few games and then not have the capital to move up to get your QB in 2025.

I know Nix is the (apparent) favorite to be your QB this year, but I'd rather have my shot at Sanders/Ewers/Beck in 2025, whoever ends up being the best of those 3.

(Okay, I'm scurrying back to my hole in the Vikings forum lol)

If it’s one or the other then the 1st next year. If it’s a couple picks in the 2nd early third this year or a first next year? I’d take the former. I think most years there are only 20-25 true first round prospects. This year I have 63 second round prospects (crazy deep at that level) assuming the team we trade back with is likely to have a low FRP next year I’d rather take the multiple selections at that level this year than the one selection at that level next year

• Like 5

On 4/23/2024 at 5:05 PM, Cutler06 said:

6th-worst in total points allowed 

4th-worst in total yards allowed

5th-worst in yards and points allowed per drive. 

I’d call that a bottom 5 unit. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

6th-worst in total points allowed 

4th-worst in total yards allowed

5th-worst in yards and points allowed per drive. 

I’d call that a bottom 5 unit. 

Throw out our best and worst defensive games and re-run the stats…do they change or no?